which tent

bnsafe

WKR
im trying to decide which tent to buy for a base camp tent. im not gonna spend a grand on a tent but looking at either a kodiak canvas wall tent or a cabelas alaskin guide model tent. size is roughly the same, cabelas is cheaper, kodiak is heavier due to canvas. basically i dont wanna worry bout gettin wet. both seem like good tents but wasnt sure bout rather to go with canvas or other

hunting1

WKR
I love my Kodiak Canvas tent! I had wall tents before as well Cabelas Nylon walled and there is no comparison in my opinion. Keeps cool in the summer and holds heat well in the winter. Mine had been used over 3-years in rain and light snow and never leaked. Springbar is another great option if you want to buy American.
100_0108.jpg

52ElkHunt051.jpg

85700075007_49510779005_24291763_00.jpg

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
+1 on the Kodiak Canvas for base camp! Had one for several years now and it has worked awesome. Spent a week in it in Idaho this year. It was cold and snowed a foot at least and was windy as hell. Held up very well. We throw a tarp over ours just for the added protection.

From 2008

Ducks028_zps32be995b.jpg

Whisky

WKR
I have no experience with the canvas tents. The Cabelas Alaskan Guide works well for our needs. We use it as base camp in Sept-Oct hunting. I have the smaller Mr. Buddy propane heater we use to take the edge off in the mornings. Heats up real quick. How many people you plan on having? One thing I can tell that I like already with the Kodiak tents is the square design. Our "8 man" Alaskan guide is really a 3 man tops, with gear and supplies. But you have to have the correct size cots to get 3 in there, because of the geodesic design of the tent. With a square tent (and depending on the specs) you could more easily cram 3 cots in there I would think.

I'm happy with the Alaskan Guide though. It packs down pretty small. Weight isn't a factor as we use it strictly from the pickup. Set up isn't too bad at all with two guys. It can be done with 1, and I've done it once by my self. It's more of a PITA, and took me about 45 minutes or so. It handles brutal weather no problem though. We'be been snowed on, rained on, and fought some nasty winds with this tent. Just looking at the two different designs, I'd say the Cabelas would do better in the wind than the Kodiak, but I could be wrong.

IMG_0618.jpg

IMG_0580.jpg

P9060491.jpg

Can you set the Kodiak's up with wood burning stoves? If so, I'd maybe lean that direction.

hunting1

WKR
"Can you set the Kodiak's up with wood burning stoves? If so, I'd maybe lean that direction."

Sure, just buy a stove opening and take it to a sew shop. I used to have pics of one converted. I had the same Cabelas set up, get some cold, high humidity weather and everything inside is wet! Only canvas for me unless back packing. You will never look back.............

Have a look at the Cabelas Big Horn tent. Ive had mine for 5 years now and love it. Ive stayed in wall tents and personally I like this better. I can easily set this tent up solo in 15 mins and have the stove going in another 5. Nothing better then being able to dry out after a long day.

IMG_7439_zpsd4d311e2.jpg

Have a look at the Cabelas Big Horn tent. Ive had mine for 5 years now and love it. Ive stayed in wall tents and personally I like this better. I can easily set this tent up solo in 15 mins and have the stove going in another 5. Nothing better then being able to dry out after a long day.

i looked at that tent alot but i strayed away from it due to the made in china and ended up with a montana canvas spike3

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I used the above Cabelas Dome in Alaska, and it performed very well. It was a really nice tent.

I have several wall tents, but one for the OP to seriously consider is the Reliable Teton tent. My hunting crew has two, and use them more than the rest of tents, I cut the floor out of the front for easing the cleaning up, and making it so you can cleanly take off your boots inside.

https://www.reliabletent.com/index.cfm?page=detail&Product_ID=150&CATID=9

Jay Kyle

FNG
I have the Kodiak 10x10 and used it for two weeks last summer. The quality of the build is outstanding. I'd listen to the rain pound at night and no condensation whatsoever on the inside (Okanagan Valley). I was skeptical when my wife bought it as I wanted to hold out for a wall tent, but in the end let her get what she wanted - and it was good.

Jay

Owens

Lil-Rokslider
I've got an 8 man Alaskan Guide tent. I like it, but Whisky is right on about the size. It's perfect for two cots and gear, three cots is tight.

OP
B

bnsafe

WKR
thanks guys, i knew yall would know and help. think i will go with the kodiak when things get calmed down from the move. i appreciate it

R

red

IMG_7439_zpsd4d311e2.jpg

Anyone else sporting the Cabelas Big Horn? Any other opinions?