Which tent???

trophytaka

Lil-Rokslider
So i am in the market for a new UL tent for this years backpack hunt. I have narrowed my search between the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2 and the Golite Imogene UL2. Havent heard a whole lot about the Golite but for the price and weight it doesnt seem like a bad deal. As far as the durability of the tent its got decent reviews so far. What are your guys' thoughts on both of these???

luke moffat

Super Moderator
So i am in the market for a new UL tent for this years backpack hunt. I have narrowed my search between the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2 and the Golite Imogene UL2. Havent heard a whole lot about the Golite but for the price and weight it doesnt seem like a bad deal. As far as the durability of the tent its got decent reviews so far. What are your guys' thoughts on both of these???

The GoLite with its 10D fly would have me worried for sure. Not sure how anyone can claim much to its durability as its not even been on the market more than a month. The Copper Spur has been around much longer and know several guys that really like them. Plus two doors and two vestibules make it very attractive to me if using it with two guys.

Might also consider a Brooks Range Foray tent. I did a review on it here as I used it on a two different mountain goat hunts on Kodiak last year and it worked like a champ, granted we had no winds over 35 mph so can't say it'd be bomber, but nearly are the other two as they are all 3 season tents.

http://www.rokslide.com/2012-01-09-05-09-42/sleep-systems/231-brooks-range-foray

Can be had for a decent deal here:
http://www.campsaver.com/foray-tent-2-person-3-season

I will say though if you are looking at a tent for two people always get a 3 person model, but if set on a 2 man model for two guys for longer backpacking trips then I'd opt for the Copper Spur for sure due to its 2 doors and vestibules.

.....I will say though if you are looking at a tent for two people always get a 3 person model, ....

Good advice. Especially with the UL tents, which tend to be pretty minimal size wise.

If you are going to use a "two man" tent for two actual men, then the dual vestibules and side entries is something I strongly prefer. I have used a North Face Polaris tent with a similar layout to the Copper Spur for many years, and really like it. On the other hand, trying to use a small front entrance tent with two big guys and a bunch of gear in the vestibule is high on the aggravating scale. A friend of mine calls them "one man - one woman" tents. :)

Yk

mae1993

FNG
If your heart isn't set on a double wall I would look at a floorless serouisly. I switched last year and will never go back to many benefits the biggest is floor space, second being able to leave your boots on. I just throw down a piece of tyvek cut a little bigger than my sleeping pad. Also cooking on a stove inside while sitting fully upright, being able to stand up to put on pants I could go on and on. I have a Golite Shangria la 3 and 5, getting a wood stove from Seek Outside to use in the 5 man. The 3 man is like a palace for two guys and all there gear. I almost bought the Copper Spur before I made the switch, dang nice tents. Just something to think about. Luke knows. Mike.

• Banned
OP
T

trophytaka

Lil-Rokslider
luke great advice! thank you. i will be using the tent for just one person (myself) and want a UL2 just for a little extra space.

jolemons

WKR
Check out Henry Shires' Tarptents. I've been using the Moment for the past two years and wouldn't go any other way. With a light weight single wall, you'll have the benefit of an enclosed freestanding tent and the weight of a tarp and bivy setup.

Solitude

WKR
I have a BA Copper Spur UL1, very nice tent.

On a good portion of my outings I simply leave the liner/nest/inner wall and set up the fly with groundsheet. Comes in about 1 lb 14 oz. in this configuration and you have virtually all the advantages of going floor-less without having an open end or needing to carry trekking poles along.

The CS UL2 would be a palace for one guy. It does have the advantage of the second full sized vestibule if I remember correctly, which is nice for two guys. The CS UL1 has a small "boot" vestibule which I have used on most trips and I simply place my pack and bow in the large entry vestibule if I expect rain.

You should enjoy this tent and it's versatility.

OP
T

trophytaka

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you everyone for your imput so far and ive checked out all the tents mentioned. So many options out there!!! I think so far im still leaning towards the Copper Spur. Solitude, after reading your post it seems like it may be too much tent for one guy?? which is what the case will be. I suppose i just dont want to feel too confined if i have to wait out a storm or something.

Broken Arrow

Lil-Rokslider
Nemo is another you might look at. I have an espri II which I don't believe they make any more but it has been through a thunder storm and ended up sleeping in a puddle about 2 inches deep under the tent lol like a water bed I was completely dry! It weights in around 3.5 lbs. I'm thinking about going floor less though lighter and more room. Hell I spend half of turkey season sleeping in my blind and Mo is full of bugs spiders n such. Anyway might be worth a look.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
I just bought the Mountainsmith LE 2 its a Tarp design weights 2lbs 14 ounces and the design is bombproof. Made of 40D Ripstop urathane coated for fire repllent and is as big as the Megatarp for 130 bucks. Good value. Cant wait for it to get here.