Which Titanium Stove?

I'm looking at buying a stove for a SO Redcliff. I've been researching the SO SXL, Winnerwell fastfold, and the Pomoly fastfold. I'd like to hear some firsthand experiences with any of them.

I'm leaning towards the Winnerwell due to ease of setup and 3" stove pipe.

The pomoly is made with thicker ti, not sure if that is necessary. It also has a shorter firebox.

I like that the SO is made in the states but I'm not sure about fiddling with hardware when my hands are cold.

I've read threads on all three of these stoves but it hasn't helped me narrow it down. Thanks.

spudgunr

FNG
I had the same conundrum. I ended up going with a S.O. XL (after all, its only a bit more weight and cost than the SXL, but more depth so more wood = longer with a fire).

Now, I'll preface this with the fact I have no intention of going hunting with this, I'm not going to thru-hike with it, I probably wont be faced with setting up in the cold and rain, and I certainly havent faced that in the month or so I've had the stove.

That said, yes, it is somewhat fiddly. Its worst the first time you use it. The seams were a bit tight the first time I put it together, but a flatblade screwdriver to open up just the corners made it a bit easier to get together. Also, I think once it heat-set it is now easier to put together than the first couple times.

So now, you leave the feet and the bottom nuts where they belong, so you arent having to add them and adjust them each time; they are already where they need to be. Put the 4 walls together, set it in the bottom, add the top. Getting the rods through the holes in the top is easy if you put your hand through the door and just guide them in. Thats super easy on my XL, no idea about a small stove if its easy. But, on mine, super easy. Guide the rod through the hole from the inside and it goes into place pretty easily. Then, tighten the nuts on top. Not very difficult in my opinion.

The damper is a bit janky; it just sits loosely in the hole and isnt a great fit. There is a rib around the circumference, but the crimped area is too large to go all the way in the hole and let it sit on the rib. Maybe its a backup? Maybe its for crush protection? Either way, the damper does not lock in. I dont remember if it was in a windy condition or if I bumped it, but once in my yard the damper came off the stove while under fire. So now, you have a hot chimney, and a stove putting all its heat and smoke into your tent. I like the locking design of some of the other stoves. In particular, I liked the old style on one that you put it in 3 slots and turned it. You were then supposed to add two thumb screws, but I bet you could've just dropped a small titanium stake or something in and then it couldnt spin and it cant raise because the tabs would be locked in the slots.

The door does warp and can cause more vigorous burn. It also catches on the body of the stove and in the slots; a slight bend out of the corners can help with that. Part of the reason for the catching is that the edge hems are formed inwards. It looks clean, but now you have a lip to catch on things. Not a huge deal though, but you wont be operating the door one handed much of the time. Sometimes it goes fine, other times it doesnt when its heated. I will use a stick in one hand to hold the stove body and the other hand to pull the door shut. Ido like the ability to completely remove it to have good access to the opening.

I have probably 6-10 nights with my stove. MOSTLY in the yard, but a couple camping trips and a couple more coming up with recent cold weather. I like it a lot, and I cannot imagine one of the tiny deals. That is partly because I run it at night; for those that keep the tent cold at night and only use it to heat in the day, the smaller size I am sure is fine. But, I will fill mine with wood and it helps keep the edge off for a good 3-4 hours depending on wood and how well I pack it (of course this time is with it dampered down). After 4 hours there are even still a few coals left but I'm waking up cold. I find I do not pack it as well at 2am, so the second burn doesnt necessarily last 4 hours, more like 3. But if I pack it better, you can set a fire at 10pm, go to sleep, set another at 2am, then at 6am its time to start waking up (or, make the fire, let the thing run on high, and be plenty warm).

I like the weight of the S.O. stoves, I like the made in the USA, and I like the size. Overall, I'm pretty happy with the stove. I have modified it a bit, and will make a few more mods, but thats just my style. I think there are a few opportunities, but overall a good stove.