Which to shoot first?

Muley, because I’m by myself and I need to butcher and carry that thing out myself, and I’m already exhausted from having to make the choice between the two! :unsure:

87TT

WKR
Elk. Killed a lot of Mulies. Like elk meat better. probably wouldn't even shoot the mulie if it just stood there. If I'm by myself, the pack out would be tough enough plus it would probably spoil while I broke down the elk by myself. And if I ended up tracking one, forget it.

3pointer

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely the elk , love mule deer but an elk can take care of the freezer for the year

chindits

WKR
Mule deer first.

Around here as a resident you’re not getting a mule deer tag without at least a few years or a lot of years of points depending on season. Where as, if you are not getting an elk tag every year it’s because you aren’t applying for an elk tag.

chindits

WKR
I’d look right over them and shoot that pumpkinheaded black bear out yonder.

What JohnnyB says. Save your bullets for bears, cats and yotes.

I’d shoot the muley. A lot of bigger mule deer will sell out at hearing a shot. The elk I’ve been around, not so much.

The best stalking route gets the nod for me. In your scenario we have to have 1 or the other that is more stalkable. You’re sitting there looking. Plan the stalk and weigh the odds.

Well it seems like elk opportunity has improved and mule deer declined in the 50 years I’ve been chasing them. Since Oregon went to limited entry hunts I’ve not drawn at least a spike tag once. Mule deer, I draw the unit I grew up hunting once every three years it seems. I see a good solid mule deer with a tag in my pocket, he gets the first shot.

Jhaury7

Lil-Rokslider
Elk. The muley will stop and look back. The elk will run over every tree until he’s gone forever

Rosey

FNG
I think it's tougher to find a big muley today and than a small elk. Although game chaser makes a good point that they deer might stop and give a shot for both.

WKR
Shooting my suppressed 6.5x47 with a UL7 screwed on, I'll bust the buck, rack the kung fu shifter and drop the elk. Then start texting the posse for help.

Actually after being a dedicated raghorn killer my whole life, I'd shoot the buck only. We really like pre-rut mule deer bucks and we'd be good with just the one critter.

Last edited: