Which top or tops hooded?

This is probably a silly question, but which of your layers(base,mid,outer) do you have a hood on? Just one of them, all of them? I would think you would have a hood on only one of them but not sure. This would be on a mid October thru November hunt.

Honyock

WKR
I have hoods on my puffy, soft shell and some of my midweight tops. If it's one of those days that I can get buy with a midweight top and a vest I'll use a midweight base layer with a hood. If it's colder and I'm going to be using my puffy or soft shell I will ditch the midweight hood. A merino neck gaiter and beanie are always in my pack which tend to get used more than a hood.

To hood or not to hood. That is the question.

I have them on a lot of layers.

- Baselayer - I like them on base layers in warmer weather for concealment and sun and bug protection.
- mid layer - I like some fleece hoodies I really like. Patagonia R1 and Sitka core heavy weight
- puffy - I like a hood. Usually end up carrying a warm hat anyway, but I like and use my hood on my puffys a lot.
- soft shell or hard shell - hood is a must. I only have one soft shell in my hunting stable without a hood. Sitka mountian jacket and if they offered a hooded version I would upgrade.

FWIW - hood management is essential. as I dress I put the hoods up one over the other and then put them all down at once after I get my pack on.

Lowg08

WKR
I may be a little backwards. I really only want a hood on my outermost layer. I prefer a beanie and neck gaiter most of the time. I do not like sweatshirts without hoods. Now that I think of it. I’ve tried several hooded items and now I’m down to no hoods besides my brooks down and rain jacket. It’s to each there own. If I’m at work a hood is a must in the woods it’s kinda annoying. Just me being weird

*zap*

WKR
Peloton 97 with a hood for sure.....I wish all my very cold jackets had detachable hoods.

FlyingDutchman

Lil-Rokslider
I usually get the hood on everything. I tend to have both hooded and non hoody versions of my next to skin baselayer. It doesn’t bother me to layer up hoods. For stationary whitetail stand hunting I don’t like hoods on the base or outer layer but will wear a midlayer grid fleece hoody. I need to hear when on stand.

Ralphie

WKR
Only on my down puffy and my rain gear. And those are must haves. I carry a balaclava to use at times as well that I find more versatile and comfortable than hoods on everything else other than the above.

prm

WKR
Base: No (Aerowool)
Mid: Yes (Peleton 240)
Light insulation: No (Arc’teryx Atom)
Heavy puffy: Yes (Kifaru LPP)

OP
O
Thanks for all the replies. Think I’ll go the neckgaiter route. Only have hood on down jacket.