Which trekking pole feet?

Rock-o

WKR
Soon I will be hunting on terrain that is dirt and rock. This will be my first outing with trekking poles and would like to know which feet should be used?

Pictured are the four styles that came with the poles. I could also not use any feet.

feet.jpg

Thank you.

Last edited:

Wrench

WKR
None. I've killed bucks after clicking down the trail double time....but typically when you're hunting you're not trekking and when you're trekking....you're too loud to be in stalk mode.

100% agree with not using any feet. Just stick with the carbide tips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Fatcamp

WKR
I keep the small feet with me in case conditions make the ground sticky. Suuucks when trekking poles stick in the mud. At that point everything sucks, but the poles suck worse.

But only carry the poles with me away from the vehicle 99% of the time.

Small feet for me. They’re small and light enough to not get in the way but if I hit mud I’m glad I had them on.

Vandy321

WKR
the small rubber at the top left are nice. Worth the $7. No clacking down the rocks with the metal tips, but still provide a firm plant in the dirt with no slipping. They slide off easily if you need bare metal, say for ice.

The large shoe like feet on bottom right are really nice for lots of smooth rock. Like desert sheep hunting in so UT.
But besides that just use the carbide tips

sargent

WKR
I'd use the small baskets. If it's more dirt, no feet. If it's almost all rock, I'd put on those little rubber tips at the upper left.

None. The feet are for sidewalks, deep sand, or snow. Ive never installed feet on mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
R

Rock-o

WKR
I'm quite surprised at the response. The top left was first pick. Bottom right and no feet were tied for second. Though no feet has clearly blown all out of the water.

LaHunter

WKR
The small size rubber feet have worked well for me in all types of terrain and conditions. Much quieter than metal tips on rock, and more secure I would think

I prefer the small round rubber tip for hunting/backpacking....much quieter than carbide tips and a bit more flotation in mucky areas. Absolutely no baskets as even the small ones hang up in willows and buck brush....hate them for hunting, and see no use for the small size baskets.

The big baskets are good for cross country skiing and snowshoeing.