Which tripod and head combo

slamdmini

FNG
i was just gonna ask this same question, some good info right here thanks guys.

Camera land do you have slik tripods?

I am going to toss out an alternative in case anyone wants to save some money and weight and is okay with seated glassing. This is extremely light weight and compact, and still plenty rigid for binoculars.

Then, for a bargin bino specific adapter, there is this.

Rock-o

WKR
What are your initial thoughts on the T-004S? I've been eyeing this combo as my first tripod.
@gilby

This is my first tripod setup for backpack hunting so I have little to offer, sorry. From my inexperienced standpoint it works perfectly fine. The combo, head and tripod, weigh 3.37 pounds. I didn't want twist locks but with my limited use they have quickly grown on me. Once unlocked the various leg segments slide smoothly as does the center section.

My only complaints are not with the tripod itself. First, I dismissed the value of *not* having a center pole design. The center pole design changed my mind the first I used it. Second, I have a Kifaru Hoodlum pack and even though the side pockets, I feel, are large I have to reverse-fold the tripod legs to fit it in the pockets. Not a big deal, just adds a step to setup and teardown. Again, these are not issues with the tripod though.

I wasn't convinced I even wanted a tripod. Now I know. Eventually I'll buy a light weight model with no center pole. I don't see any reason to replace the head other than for something more compact and lighter. I guess that's the commonality of the two items - I'd like lighter and smaller but I'm not knocking these items and having chosen them. It was a cheap test to even decide if I wanted a tripod.

gilby

Lil-Rokslider
@gilby

This is my first tripod setup for backpack hunting so I have little to offer, sorry. From my inexperienced standpoint it works perfectly fine. The combo, head and tripod, weigh 3.37 pounds. I didn't want twist locks but with my limited use they have quickly grown on me. Once unlocked the various leg segments slide smoothly as does the center section.

My only complaints are not with the tripod itself. First, I dismissed the value of *not* having a center pole design. The center pole design changed my mind the first I used it. Second, I have a Kifaru Hoodlum pack and even though the side pockets, I feel, are large I have to reverse-fold the tripod legs to fit it in the pockets. Not a big deal, just adds a step to setup and teardown. Again, these are not issues with the tripod though.

I wasn't convinced I even wanted a tripod. Now I know. Eventually I'll buy a light weight model with no center pole. I don't see any reason to replace the head other than for something more compact and lighter. I guess that's the commonality of the two items - I'd like lighter and smaller but I'm not knocking these items and having chosen them. It was a cheap test to even decide if I wanted a tripod.
Thanks for your feedback. I am between the T-004S/VA-5 and ProMaster w/ballhead. Have you found the tripod to tall enough at 55.1"?

Another nice head option is the field optics research ultra low profile pan head. Just got one and so far I like it. 11oz. Saves half a pound over my VA5...but it’s also not as smooth and more finicky to set tension. But worth the compromise for a light pan head that’s not too expensive.

currently using a slik 733 with VA5 for front country. A little over 3.5 lbs total if I remember but rock solid in the wind and with heavier spotting scope.

just starting using a slik 633 with the field optics head for back country. 2lb 12oz total approx.

there’s always trade offs. I also have a promaster 522 aluminum that is a great backcountry tripod. No doubt the 525 would be a great option as well. In my experience the slik is a slightly better product. A little more rigid joints and smoother leg tension. But more expensive. Hard to say if it’s worth it, they’re pretty close in actual field use.

Hard to go wrong with any of the above mentioned.

seaner9er

FNG
Has anyone ever put the below tripod on a scale? I remember reading that some folks said it's not 2.2 lbs like it's listed?

Sirui T-024SK Compact Tripod with VA-5 Fluid Head​

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    311.6 KB · Views: 59
Reactions: j33
I made the switch this year from packing around a bipod for my rifle and a monopod/small aluminum tripod for glassing to a bigger carbon fiber tripod to do it all from.

Specifically a leofoto LS-365C and a RRS Anvil-30. I have to say I am super impressed with the quality of both the tripod and the head. I have shot off it recently at prairie dogs and it was super stable and at sub 5lbs, it's going with me next hunting season.

If looking for a lighter option, they have sizes going down from there. Maybe the ls-225c would be a good lightweight option.

slamdmini

FNG
just recently got the slik 634 and sirui va-5 head and im very impressed. so much better than my old setup

I have been using the Slik 634 and Sirui VA-5 head and it is perfect for glassing with my Meostar 15s. I also used it for my Meostar S2 but in windy conditions it can vibrate a little. I just got the Sirui ST-124 tripod with the VA-5 head for my S2 spotter, it absorbs any vibration more than the lighter Slik 634 does when digiscoping and is just a little heavier. They are both great tripods. The VA-5 head is great too.

Tunsei

FNG
Nother vote for the va-5 head. Heard the spch20 is really good, but a little lighter duty and not as good for 80mm+ spotters, although a fair bit lighter if you can get away with it.

for CF tripods, check out Two Vets Sporting Goods if you have not already. they make killer, bombproof tripods and great Ballheads that don't break the bank. they are also veteran owned and operated in the US. their "no name jr" tripod is just over 2 pounds and very packable. they have a new one coming out in 2-3 weeks called, "the ruck." which weighs the same as the no name jr. but has an integrated height adjusting center column, it is PERFECT for backcountry hunting, and i will be running it this year in Kodiak, Wyoming and all my backcountry hunts. you can use the code HQ5 at two vets for 5% off if you want to save a little bit. i dont see a dime from that, i started with them as a satisfied customer and started doing some marketing work with them, they're just a great company.

i also have a sirui VA 5 and its a good head for glassing and shooting... leaves a little to be desired for filming but and the weight and price its not a bad option, plus i like to be able to seamlessly transfer all my optics and weapons and cameras to any tripod on one plate system, so the ARCA plate is better for that. you dont wanna be changing plates and trying to remember which toy goes on which tripod while hunting!

enjoy!