Which tripod and head

Time to get serious and get some user opinions on tripods and head setups. I’ve never had a tripod and all I hear is how they change your glassing game. Which ones are your favs? I’ve got slc 10x42 and want to get the tripod and head along with a spotter down the road. Outdoorsmans seems to be top of the heap. Any help is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been running a Sirui T-1204XL tripod. Love it, however I haven’t found a good head for it. But yes, the Outdoorsman heads are supposed to be tops from what I have seen.

Got the outdoorsman this year, phenomenal setup although the nuts in mine started rusting by day 10...need to send that in and see what they say.

I have the standard Pan Head and it works great for my Leica 50x Spotter, but terrible for the binos. My buddies have the pistol grip and it's money, buying one for sure.

DMurphy

FNG
I’m new to the western glassing/hunting world. Is there a bino tripod that also serves as a rifle tripod?

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I’m new to the western glassing/hunting world. Is there a bino tripod that also serves as a rifle tripod?

Any tripod that is stout enough can serve as both. You just have to set up the head to connect to both. You can use a clamp like the PIG Saddle to hold your rifle and put an arca swiss plate on the clamp for fast change out. You could also mount an arca swiss plate directly to your rifle. Or you could use a Spartan Precision Equipment tripod and rifle addapter. Or just get the Spartan Davros head for shooting off of and swap heads. Or even put an arca swiss plate on the Davros head to quickly mount it.

There are other ways to piece it together as well. Sirui makes some tripods that are strong enough to shoot off of. Outdoorsman and Spartan Precision make tripods for shooting off of. FLM makes some bomber carbon tripods that come in under 5 lbs and will support over 100 lbs. Really Right Stuff (RSS) also makes good equipment.

Oh man, get ready for the ride.

Any tripod and head is better than no tripod and head. That being said tripods and heads are really a personal choice. What one guy loves the next will hate. One thing that cannot be argued is glassing from a tripod will make average glass look great and alpha glass really shine.

I am sure you will own several in your search for what is best for your needs. In the optics world you don't always get what you pay for but you definitely pay for what you get. Tripods and heads are no different. Do a search on here, there are a lot of threads on here to read and a lot of people with years of experience to ask.

Be honest in your actual glassing needs and try to get equipment that suits your needs. There is a ton of difference in glassing from the truck or at the range or on a 10 day backpack hunt.

For myself I have settled on slik carbon tripods and outdoorsmans and gitzo heads and accessories.

Good luck in your search and journey, in a year or two I'm sure it will be a tale for you to tell.

DMurphy

FNG
Oh man, get ready for the ride.

Any tripod and head is better than no tripod and head. That being said tripods and heads are really a personal choice. What one guy loves the next will hate. One thing that cannot be argued is glassing from a tripod will make average glass look great and alpha glass really shine.

I am sure you will own several in your search for what is best for your needs. In the optics world you don't always get what you pay for but you definitely pay for what you get. Tripods and heads are no different. Do a search on here, there are a lot of threads on here to read and a lot of people with years of experience to ask.

Be honest in your actual glassing needs and try to get equipment that suits your needs. There is a ton of difference in glassing from the truck or at the range or on a 10 day backpack hunt.

For myself I have settled on slik carbon tripods and outdoorsmans and gitzo heads and accessories.

Good luck in your search and journey, in a year or two I'm sure it will be a tale for you to tell.
Thank you for the helpful information. This is exactly what I needed