Which tripod?

SPEDRAY

FNG
I literally know nothing about tripods besides that I need a better one. I picked up a swarovski 65 he for a spotter. I already have a cheap manfrotto tripod. It just is way to shaky to see anything out of. I need something that it on the light side, but it doesn't need to be ultra light. I also need something that will be stable. I have no idea what to look for in heads also. I don't like the pan head on my current set up. It is hard to get it set up solid for where I am looking at. I plan to use a phoneskope most of the time on the spotter. Don't know if this makes a difference. Also the big kicker, I don't want to spend a small fortune on it. Less than $400 all in.

Good morning. There are a lot of good options in your price range and we have great sales going on for shot show week. Give me a call to discuss the options. 2 great choices are the Sirui T024SKVA5 that gets down to $237.92 and the Slik Pro 824CF, 10% off any of the Slik tripods on the site, (Does not include bundles with spotting scopes) Here are the links

Good morning. There are a lot of good options in your price range and we have great sales going on for shot show week. Give me a call to discuss the options. 2 great choices are the Sirui T024SKVA5 that gets down to $237.92 and the Slik Pro 824CF, 10% off any of the Slik tripods on the site, (Does not include bundles with spotting scopes) Here are the links

how does the sirui get down to 237.92? i have that tripod and want to get another for my wife... for the price, it's a great tripod... light enough, very stable, and the VA-5 is great too

I literally know nothing about tripods besides that I need a better one. I picked up a swarovski 65 he for a spotter. I already have a cheap manfrotto tripod. It just is way to shaky to see anything out of. I need something that it on the light side, but it doesn't need to be ultra light. I also need something that will be stable. I have no idea what to look for in heads also. I don't like the pan head on my current set up. It is hard to get it set up solid for where I am looking at. I plan to use a phoneskope most of the time on the spotter. Don't know if this makes a difference. Also the big kicker, I don't want to spend a small fortune on it. Less than $400 all in.
that sirui T-024SK that cameraland posted a link to is a great setup for your price range, for a sub 300$ package, it's a solid option. i have the same one and am getting another one. you would be happy with it. the VA-5 is a very user friendly and smooth head, and the tripod is very stable..... it's a great and versatile setup.

just the right height too. mine's holding up well too drug through the coastal rain and brush with zero maintenance or problems

bigbuckdj

WKR
I’m kind of going through this now. I don’t have one and I’ve never seen one but looking at the weight and leg diameters, I wouldn’t expect the t-024 to be rock solid with the 65 at full extension. I have a pro master 525C that was really solid sitting and for standing with binos but in the wind with the center column extended, it wasn’t great with the spotter zoomed in. You could just see every little bit of vibration.

I just bought the 824 from cameraland and it’s heavier but way beefier and what I’ll carry if I want to stand with a spotter.

I just felt like I should share that the light weight small leg diameter carbon tripods may not do what you want at full extension.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nobody

WKR
I second the Sirui T-024SK setup, you'll like it.

For a good, solid, entry level option, I really like this one from Slik. Especially the head. For the money, this is a really solid option! It's just tall enough to use while standing with an angled spotter. I still have it, but I don't pack it just because of the bulk and the weight. But it's really really solid to use while glassing.

1642437411099.png

Depending on your budget and how lightweight it needs to be, the vortex Ridgeview would be a great one. It's got a 2 way pan head, but you can remove it and replace it with a fluid head if you'd like. I currently run the ridgeview's little brother, the Summit Carbon II, and I've put the fluid head from the Slik tripod above on it. It's perfect for seated viewing and plenty sturdy for my 10's, 15's, or my 85mm spotter. Just not tall enough to stand behind, but it folds down to like 16 inches long and is less than 3 lbs on my pack. So I've sacrificed the ability to stand for lightweight and compactness on my pack. The slik now wears the 2 way pan head from the vortex and goes to the range with me, but the vortex one gets the nod for hunting.

OP
S

SPEDRAY

FNG
I haven't really glassed a ton from the standing position. Most of the time we are on a steep hillside sitting down. I think it will also help having the angled scope, so we don't have to fully extend the center post for the desired height.

Vrybusy

Lil-Rokslider
+1 on Cameraland! Give them a call, tell them what equip you're going to use and how you plan to run it. They will get you set up. When I called I had no idea of the options that were available, and why some would be better for my application than others. One 10 minute call and I had exactly what I was looking for 2 days later at my door.

Bigty50

FNG

+1 on this sirui setup through camera land! I believe it was Doug who helped me out two years ago when I purchased mine from them. Great product and outstanding customer care/support.

OP
S

SPEDRAY

FNG
What are some of the features i should be looking for in a head? I have used a ball head before and it didn't seem to be very smooth. Are the higher end ones that much better?

Bigty50

FNG
What are some of the features i should be looking for in a head? I have used a ball head before and it didn't seem to be very smooth. Are the higher end ones that much better?
Honestly, I would just go with the sirui va-5 head. What I like about it is the smoothness you can pan and move around with it. Some panning/video heads are herky jerky and it’s really a pain to move in a grid like motion. I also like how the va5 locks solid when you want it to. I haven’t tried any of the outdoorsman heads but have heard they are pretty rockstar. However, you will also pay more for them! I have found the va5 to be perfect for my needs. I would not glass off of a ball head with binos.

+1 for Slik here. Owned several from aluminum to newer carbon fibers. Ive had other brands break over the years but never a Slik. Here are some things to think about (besides weight and cost) for your personal preference before you pull the trigger:
1) Make sure your overall height (head + tripod) allows you to glass standing and preferably not with the center post fully extended.
2) 3 or 4 leg sections? More sections usually allows them to compact tighter but more to adjust in the field
3) Twist or snap locks. Twist locks are usually quieter but some think they are tougher to clean
4) Feet bottoms. If the feet can unscrew make sure to check them in the field and possibly get a couple extras
5) Horizontal supports. Cheaper tripods will have horizontal supports that dont allow you to get up into the tripod while glassing.
6) Pick a head that matches your glassing style. Pistol grip vs. short lever arm vs. long lever arm. You want to be comfortable so the setup and ease of adjustment in the head is paramount. Get extra floor plates too if you are intercahging optics and tripod rests

Kenflow

FNG

Is the Sirui T024SKVA5 still available for $237.92? I'm seeing $279.90 on the website today. Thx!