Which tripod?

Jakelly

I’m looking to buy my first real tripod. I’ve pretty well decided on a RRS with an anvil, but I’m having trouble deciding which one. I’m a little over 6’4”. I want this for hunting, unlikely I will ever shoot it in competition. I want to use it to pig hunt at night (killing them all is the aim) and coyote stands and potentially in a deer stand.

I am trying for the determine my max height, 60” seems ok, but I don’t know how often I’ll need it higher. The series 2 vs 3 and 3 legs vs 4 is spinning me out a bit. I’m not a big backcountry backpacker. I have a pack, but usually just day hunt with a backpack. I’m looking at the 24 and L and 33 and 34 and Ls. I don’t think I want a 14, and there is a seemingly good one in the classifieds that has a different model name.

kpalu

I'm 6' and have the 24L. I have no problem getting the tripod high enough to shoot standing, you shouldn't either. I went with the 4 leg sections because it fit better in my pack when stowed. I've used both the 2 and 3 series and for hunting or any rifle under 20# I don't see a difference in stability. I went through the same process before buying and I'm really happy with the 24L, it's been great for everything.

TK-421

Well Known Rokslider
I see the 24L as the do-everything option.

If my main focus was glassing while backpacking with limited shooting, I'd go with the 14. If I was focused on competition, square range, or very limited packing, I'd go with a 3-series or maybe the 22i. The 4 sections will pack smaller than the 3 sections. 3 sections means you might operate one less lock so it could be faster than the 4 section. The "L" gives more flexibility to set-up on uneven ground when shooting or to stand when using binos.

I like using and changing out a bunch of different gear, but I've never had a second thought about the 24L. I have considered adding another niche tripod, but my 24L gets the most use out of the tripods I own. Obviously pick what suits you best, but the 24Ls are constantly sold out, and you could easily resell if you didn't like it.

Macintosh

Well Known Rokslider
I'm 6'2", I need more than 60" to stand up and glass from it, but shooting from it that's plenty. If you think you ever might use it to stand up and glass with binos or a straight spotter I'd recommend getting one that's 65" or so. You aren't backpacking with it and price diff will be minimal or zero from what you are talking about, so doesnt seem like there'd be a downside?

OP
J

Jakelly

I'm 6'2", I need more than 60" to stand up and glass from it, but shooting from it that's plenty. If you think you ever might use it to stand up and glass with binos or a straight spotter I'd recommend getting one that's 65" or so. You aren't backpacking with it and price diff will be minimal or zero from what you are talking about, so doesnt seem like there'd be a downside?
I hadn’t given much consideration to the prospect of glassing from it. Glassing isn’t a big part of hunting in Oklahoma. Thanks for pointing that out, it sounds like an L would be a better choice for me.

Rover31

I am 6'2" and have used the Two Vets QDT and loved it!
Super great guy Dan is.

OP
J

Jakelly

I bought a RRS 34 and anvil 30. I’ll let you guys know what I think when it gets here.