Which tripod?

Jakelly

FNG
I’m looking to buy my first real tripod. I’ve pretty well decided on a RRS with an anvil, but I’m having trouble deciding which one. I’m a little over 6’4”. I want this for hunting, unlikely I will ever shoot it in competition. I want to use it to pig hunt at night (killing them all is the aim) and coyote stands and potentially in a deer stand.

I am trying for the determine my max height, 60” seems ok, but I don’t know how often I’ll need it higher. The series 2 vs 3 and 3 legs vs 4 is spinning me out a bit. I’m not a big backcountry backpacker. I have a pack, but usually just day hunt with a backpack. I’m looking at the 24 and L and 33 and 34 and Ls. I don’t think I want a 14, and there is a seemingly good one in the classifieds that has a different model name.

kpalu

FNG
I'm 6' and have the 24L. I have no problem getting the tripod high enough to shoot standing, you shouldn't either. I went with the 4 leg sections because it fit better in my pack when stowed. I've used both the 2 and 3 series and for hunting or any rifle under 20# I don't see a difference in stability. I went through the same process before buying and I'm really happy with the 24L, it's been great for everything.

Macintosh

WKR
I'm 6'2", I need more than 60" to stand up and glass from it, but shooting from it that's plenty. If you think you ever might use it to stand up and glass with binos or a straight spotter I'd recommend getting one that's 65" or so. You aren't backpacking with it and price diff will be minimal or zero from what you are talking about, so doesnt seem like there'd be a downside?

OP
J

Jakelly

FNG
I'm 6'2", I need more than 60" to stand up and glass from it, but shooting from it that's plenty. If you think you ever might use it to stand up and glass with binos or a straight spotter I'd recommend getting one that's 65" or so. You aren't backpacking with it and price diff will be minimal or zero from what you are talking about, so doesnt seem like there'd be a downside?
I hadn’t given much consideration to the prospect of glassing from it. Glassing isn’t a big part of hunting in Oklahoma. Thanks for pointing that out, it sounds like an L would be a better choice for me.

Rover31

FNG
I am 6'2" and have used the Two Vets QDT and loved it!
Super great guy Dan is.

Thanks for the great info. I’m also looking for a tripod for hunting. Can you guys post a link
To the 24L as well as the anvil ?

Flyjunky

WKR
24L user as well. Like TK said, I think it’s the best all around option from RRS.

khuber84

WKR
Having tested several different tripods, I'll take a 1# penalty to have larger diameter legs. The stability between skinny leg vs thick leg is very noticeable especially as it gets taller. I much prefer a 3 leg with two locks vs 4 leg with 3 locks. The more stacking of connections and tolerances the less stable. If I had to be a rrs unit, its most definitely be a tvc33 with the larger apex vs the smaller apex. Bigger apex makes a difference in stability as well. I've been using a tripod hunting/shooting prs matches for 3 years, have 4 currently. My hunting tripod is a leofoto S323C, prs tripod is a rrs tvc22i or my pva comp40. The other 1 or two , I need get rid of. Of course I'm only 5'10 and I can get away with a shorter height than a lot of guys. Dont think oh I need the lightest tallest I can find, that will sacrifice stability. For an extra tall unit, I'd want top leg to be 36mm diameter minimum. You can always hit the treadmill for 2 weeks prior to hunting season and shed that extra pound or two you gain with the heavier equipment. Just my personal experience after shooting a LOT of rounds from a tripod.

Jimss

WKR
I can understand where a tripod/shooting sticks would help in tall grass/brush/trees. I hunted whitetails in super tall grass in Nebraska a few times but it still was possible to shoot from either prone or sitting.

Around 80% of my shots in Wyo, Colo, Utah, and Alaska are from the prone position on top of my backpack and 20% from resting on my spotting scope sitting on a tripod while I'm sitting. Another concern about standing shots is I often hunt in WIND! I can't imagine trying to shoot very far standing...even with a tripod/sticks if the wind is howling? I guess if your shots are under 150ish yards in wind it may work?

Is the brush and grass tall in your area that you can't sit or lay prone to shoot? I can see where shooting sticks or tripod is important in tall brush country. Obviously the closer you are to the ground the less opportunity that game will see you and spook...especially while stalking and shooting? I'm sure things are dramatically different in different areas across the country but where I've hunted the west I don't need a super tall tripod.

khuber84

WKR
I can understand where a tripod/shooting sticks would help in tall grass/brush/trees. I hunted whitetails in super tall grass in Nebraska a few times but it still was possible to shoot from either prone or sitting.

Around 80% of my shots in Wyo, Colo, Utah, and Alaska are from the prone position on top of my backpack and 20% from resting on my spotting scope sitting on a tripod while I'm sitting. Another concern about standing shots is I often hunt in WIND! I can't imagine trying to shoot very far standing...even with a tripod/sticks if the wind is howling? I guess if your shots are under 150ish yards in wind it may work?

Is the brush and grass tall in your area that you can't sit or lay prone to shoot? I can see where shooting sticks or tripod is important in tall brush country. Obviously the closer you are to the ground the less opportunity that game will see you and spook...especially while stalking and shooting? I'm sure things are dramatically different in different areas across the country but where I've hunted the west I don't need a super tall tripod.
Good tripod, anvil 30 and an arca mount, its pretty stable! If winds are blowing over 10mph I'd def try to get a kneeling or seated tripod position. Seated from a tripod and your pack undee your rifle side armpit is just stable as shooting from a bench.