Which two bag system: 30 and 0 degree bags?

tdot

WKR
Enlightened Equipment has a neat chart on their website on combining quilts/bags- I've used numerous combinations and their chart is very close to spot on based on my personal experience

Thanks for that. Nunatak used to have one when I first ordered their quilt. But it's no longer there and I couldnt remember the low.

Here's the link, if anyone else is interested.

Last edited:

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
yup- that's the chart :)

one other advantage to this system as that on multi-day trips with just a down bag/quilt, the moisture from our body will start to degrade the loft of the down, with the Apex quilt over the top- the moisture continues to migrate through the down and settles into the outer layer and the Apex is much better at handling the additional moisture than down

HuntNTag

WKR
yup- that's the chart :)

one other advantage to this system as that on multi-day trips with just a down bag/quilt, the moisture from our body will start to degrade the loft of the down, with the Apex quilt over the top- the moisture continues to migrate through the down and settles into the outer layer and the Apex is much better at handling the additional moisture than down
Any recommendations on different quilts that you would use with a kuiu super down bag if the weather was to get down to 0? I have a 15 degree bag.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Any recommendations on different quilts that you would use with a kuiu super down bag if the weather was to get down to 0? I have a 15 degree bag.

I prefer a synthetic quilt (Apex) for using as an over quilt- moisture moves outward and Apex handles moisture better than down, for temp ratings
a 50 degree quilt should get you to ~ -5F
a 40 degree quilt should get you to ~ -15

HuntNTag

WKR
That’s a huge improvement. I’ll take a look into the quilt game to potentially add that to the next backcountry hunt and try things out.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mountain Laurel Designs, Enlightened Equipment, Nunatak, others- all offer 40 and 50 degree Apex quilts

remember to get them slightly oversized for use an over quilt, if the over quilt is cut too small it can impact the full lofting of your down bag/quilt

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not sure if anyone is looking, but there is a 38 degree Apex quilt in the Classifieds

What about a high quality 30 degree bag? A couuple guys I know use the KUIU 30 degree bag and say its comfortable into low 20's. Seems pretty good for summer - october.

FrankAbagnale

Lil-Rokslider
What about a high quality 30 degree bag? A couuple guys I know use the KUIU 30 degree bag and say its comfortable into low 20's. Seems pretty good for summer - october.
I use a WM Caribiou 35 degree bag from the summer through early fall. I’ve used it down to around 22 and was fine with baselayers.