Which two bag system: 30 and 0 degree bags?

I have a 30 degree bag and am looking for a colder weather bag. The 30 will take me comfortably down to 40 degrees, bearable in 35 if I pile on some nightclothes. For colder weather I don't see myself going below 10 degrees. I am been looking at a WM Sequoia MF with ovestuff from Hermit's Hut. Should give it a -2 rating or so. Will that be too hot at 30 degrees? I feel like I could vent it a bit if necessary, but have never actually slept with a good low temp bag in cold weather.

Marble

WKR
Its fairly rare for me to need my 0 degree bag fully zipped up. Probably needs to be in the lower 30s or into the teens at night.

Is it for back packing or truck camping?

Marble

WKR
Kifarucast just had a fairly good podcast on sleeping bags. Might give it a listen.

Jbehredt

WKR
I’ve been using my woobie and WM badger (15*) in either/or combination comfortably for the last two years. Everything from 60 degree summer nights to a few few single digit nights last rifle season. Not sure how much that helps but......

Last edited:

Quant

FNG
I have a WM Sequoia...no overfill. I have slept comfortably in it from 15 to 50 degrees. 15 is the coldest that I have used it for, but I would have been fine at a lower temp, as I was only wearing base layers. I don’t recall being too hot in it, but the bag was definitely partially unzipped at 50.

tdot

WKR
I have the 5 degree WM. I am pretty toasty at temps around freezing. At those temps it is open bag, no hood. The biggest problem is if I push too much of the bag off while I'm sleeping and then part of me is freezing and part is roasting. By about 25 it's perfect.

I've only ever seen overstuff increasing a rating by a few degrees. Maybe compare it to the volume of down used and temp change that WM uses for their overstuff.

OP
Mike Islander
Its fairly rare for me to need my 0 degree bag fully zipped up. Probably needs to be in the lower 30s or into the teens at night.

Is it for back packing or truck camping?

Definitely for back packing. I'm open to a little more weight to sleep comfortably. I doubt I'll be sleeping in below zero conditions voluntarily. I was in WY last year and had it dip down to -13 (was not camping). I wonder if a 5 degree bag would have worked inside a tent in those conditions with all my puffy clothing on in it.

OP
Mike Islander
UPDATE: The reason I am looking for a second bag is that I started camping and hunting in season three. Out here that means lows in the 40s, but out West it was below zero in late October. We stayed in a hotel instead of camping, because neither of us had the gear for camping in those conditions.

My thought is I'd like to have two bags to cover my needs. I like down and want them fairly light weight if possible. I have a Kelty 30 degree bag that is nice down to 40 or so. I think some guys would run three bags, but I am hoping to cover my needs with two. I would cover 0-35 degrees with the second bag, knowing if it unexpectedly dropped to -10 I could survive in a 0-5 degree bag if I put my puffy and some long johns on.

I could be all wrong about this, and that's why I am asking here. I can watch videos all day. The folks here get out and run these bags, so I wanted to mine that valuable knowledge if possible.

I got caught in that same storm in Montana this year, it was absolutely brutal. We were camping and had good cold weather gear but even then needed to hit a hotel at a certain point... things get tough when you can’t even keep your water from freezing in a tent with a stove. Next time I’m bringing a more substantial tent and stove, possibly a wall tent. We just had a little Cimmeron and cub and it just couldn’t keep up. Most years we would’ve been fine, but things got stupid. Backpack or spike camping for more than a night or two just wasn’t safely possible.

Based off historical temps I was worried my WM Kodiak GWS (0 degree) was going to be overkill. It wasn’t.

I’ve just got the one bag for now as I mainly hunt rifle season, but if I had to have two I’d choose a 15 degree and 0, but I prefer dedicated bags. A 15 degree bag plus a 30-40 degree quilt would probably give you even more versatility, just double them up when things get stupid cold.

Last edited:

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Some good info for you to check out here:

The industry does not make this easy....

But, a 30 and a zero should be good to about 15 as a very GENERAL rule of thumb. Much colder than that I want an even warmer bag. If it is hot, I can always lay on top. JMHO

Aeromoto

FNG
I've got a 30 from Stoic and a 0 from Marmot. Went on a winter backpacking trip 2 weeks ago in the Tahoe region, probably got down close to 0. I ended up sleeping in my down pants and just a heavy weight merino top. I also had 2 water bottles with boiling water in them when I went to sleep to keep me warm. It did get a little cold on the last night, but I survived.

I say this about the water bottles so that you can think about other ways to keep yourself warm. You're already taking a puffy, so you can wear that to bed. You've already got water bottles, just boil some water before bed and throw them in the bottom of your bag. I don't think I'll get a bag warmer than 0...not sure I want to be out in that sort of weather.

Marble

WKR
When I truck camp I use two bags, my back country bag, and a huge bag that I use as a blanket. I look at it like layering my hunting clothes.

I also then use the big bag to drape over quarters if needed on the trip home.

I also use a big tri fold futon for a pad. Warm and very comfy. Options are unlimited if staying at the truck.

Superdoo

WKR
I've been mulling a lot of this info. October and November in ND can either be 60F and sunny or -5 and blowing snow. If I need to "buy once cry once" id rather shed those tears in a bag that I'm struggling to cool off in instead shivering.

P Y Buck

Lil-Rokslider
Highly recommend the Kifaru 0 degree Slick bag. Lite weight. packs well, roomy, high quality, Available in +20 degree and - 20 degree as well, I have used it in September in Colorado Rockys at 10500. Temps around 25. No added clothing when sleeping, only boxer shorts. I am 6 foot 1 weigh 225. I purchased the standrd length in the wide version and find it to be plenty roomy. I do not like mummy style bags. The slick bag in the wide version cured this problem for me.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
my two piece sleep system is a 20 degree down Feathered Friends UL Swift- like a bag when you want a bag, like a quilt when you need to vent it

combined w/ a MLD Spirit 38 degree Apex (synthetic) quilt

if it's going to 35+ degrees I use the Apex quilt; if it's going to 15+ degrees I use the Swift; if it's colder I combine them- I'm comfortable using that combo to -10F

I purchased the Spirit quilt with the optional "poncho hole", this lets me use it as an added layer over the top of everything when glassing and it also allows me to bring a lighter puffy in warmer weather (just wear the quilt); the quilt also serves as an emergency sleep system during day hunts

at one juncture I had eight bags and quilts, this simplifies things greatly :)

tdot

WKR
my two piece sleep system is a 20 degree down Feathered Friends UL Swift- like a bag when you want a bag, like a quilt when you need to vent it

if it's going to 35+ degrees I use the Apex quilt; if it's going to 15+ degrees I use the Swift; if it's colder I combine them- I'm comfortable using that combo to -10F

I purchased the Spirit quilt with the optional "poncho hole", this lets me use it as an added layer over the top of everything when glassing and it also allows me to bring a lighter puffy in warmer weather (just wear the quilt); the quilt also serves as an emergency sleep system during day hunts

Funny, I've ended up on almost the identical system. Just with a Nunatak 25 degree quilt. I've been very curious what the lower comfort level of the system is, I just dont get out in single digit temps very often anymore to test. That's cool you've pushed it that low.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Enlightened Equipment has a neat chart on their website on combining quilts/bags- I've used numerous combinations and their chart is very close to spot on based on my personal experience

OP
Mike Islander

Man I like that idea! One bag and one quilt to cover all sleeping needs. I have an overfilled WM Sycamore (about 20 degrees) and a cheap Kelty "30". The Kelty is good to about 45 degrees or so. :)

I think I'll add the 38 MLD Spirit Apex with poncho slit and lose the Kelty. That should cover anything I could reasonably hope to camp in, and weigh in at 3 lb 1 oz, less than any zero degree bag I know of, and way less than any -10. At that weight I would bring the quilt whether it was cold enough to need both or not, just to wear when glassing or around camp! Add a down Balaclava and the entire system is 3 lb 3 oz and will cover anything from -10 up. I run a large Xtherm when below 30, so all up thats 4 lb 10 oz in the worst weather, 2 lb 10 oz in the best, all including the pad. Magic!

Last edited:

tdot

WKR
Man I like that idea! One bag and one quilt to cover all sleeping needs. I have an overfilled WM Sycamore and a cheap Kelty "30". The Kelty is good to about 45 degrees or so. :)

I think I'll add the 38 MLD Spirit Apex with poncho slit and lose the Kelty. That should cover anything I could reasonably hope to camp in, and weigh in at 3 lb 1 oz, less than any zero degree bag I know of, and way less than any -10. At that weight I would bring the quilt whether it was cold enough to need both or not, just to wear when glassing or around camp! Add a down Balaclava and the entire system is 3 lb 3 oz and will cover anything from -10 up. I run a large Xtherm when below 30, so all up thats 4 lb 10 oz in the worst weather, 2 lb 10 oz in the best, all including the pad. Magic!

I think one of the best parts of this type of system is that you can also get away with a lighter insulation layer for during the day. So it's a double win. I dropped over a pound from my insulation layers and dropped several pounds total out of my system. Plus I have more versatility and have backups cuz you have the quilt with you on day hikes so always have the ability to stay out overnight.

If I did it over again, I wouldn't get the poncho slit in the MLD quilt. It seemed like a good idea when i ordered it, but I find I often just wrap the quilt over my shoulders and if I'm sleeping with just the quilt, i do notice a cold spot at the velcro seal.