Which type/brand of meat bag?

rye_a

Lil-Rokslider
Can anyone recommend which type and/or brand of meat bags I should carry this elk season? If my partner and I take our elk in relatively close proximity to the truck we will be carrying quarters, otherwise we will be boning them out. Since we will be backpack hunting weight is somewhat important.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have had good luck with Alaskan Game Bags.......there cheap, very light and you can get multiple uses out of them..

DSCN12441.jpg

Juan_ID

WKR
Classified Approved
Haven't had elk in mine, but I use the T.A.G bags and they are well worth the money... Been using them the last couple seasons and they are still going strong. I have always used the 24x40" I believe they are, but I just ordered a few smaller ones to try out this season.

broncoformudv

Lil-Rokslider
I have been using TAG bags and also a couple of the Alaska bags as well as the good strong cotton one Sportsmans sells, can't remember the brand name of them right now.

With the TAG and Alaska bags you need to be a little more careful with them than the heavy duty cotton ones or you will quickly poke holes through them. They are very light though, never absorb water weight, and clean super easy after the hunt.

Definitely sever tendons and separate lower legs at the joint vs sawing them with the synthetic bags. Sharp bone can make pretty short work of that thin material! I still haul the heavy cotton bags for moose on the wheeler but have used the lighter ones several times now. Unfortunately it's always other people's light ones as my own TAG sheep kit has remained LNIB after 3 trips now :(

2rocky

WKR
Used the AK bags for a couple years, and I never was able to get multiple uses. I've ordered 2 different premium bags with the idea of testing them both in October. Will report back..

ktowncamo

WKR
TAG bags have hauled out 3 elk for me and my buddy. Wash them up and use them all over again. They are worth every cent in my book. I keep a smaller Caribou Gear bag specifically for loins and back straps and it's worked well.

bobhunts

WKR
Caribou gear for me. Never tried the TAGS bags but what I can get here. I buy some things in local stores and they have worked great for me. no staining ..very strong and very lightweight.