Which type of shelter?

I started another thread to this effect, but it may fit well here. Does the foot print of some of the larger shelters, MLD Supermid, pose a problem for pitching it in the high country say in the Alaska Range? AK Troutbum, any experience in the Alaska Range? What is the largest shelter you would get?

My biggest Mid is a HMG Ultamid 4 (9’3”x9’3”), and I’ve really never had too big of an issue finding a spot to pitch it. Sometimes I have to look a little harder than other times, but I’ve always found a place that works.

Here’s a couple different places in the Alaska range, on a sheep hunt, at about 4500’ and 3500’ elevation.
822256dc903fc840a6ecb126fcab3ac0.jpg

a05d0b70f19af348f960b5766f289fce.jpg

On Kodiak at about 3000’. The picture below makes it look like it's on a much greater angle/slope than it actually was. We both used cots on this hunt and they were almost completely level with just a slight slope down towards our feet.

0f956e6aba89ef3c7864f59b0111123b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

tdot

WKR
I have been using floorless shelters for about 10 years now. The Kifaru Sawtooth being my favorite. I like how fast I can set it up or take it down, tons of room, can wear my boots inside, flesh capes inside, enjoy the stove, stand to get dressed,, etc..... Bugs have not really been an issue, I keep my sleeping bag in a lightweight, waterproof, 4 oz bivy with bug screen. When ready to move out, I use the shelter to protect the items in my pack from the rain by stuffing the sawtooth into my pack and cover all the contents in the pack,, last in, first out.

Sheep%2020132_zpsmsx5pksw.jpg

Tarps and Cuben fiber works well too.

P8140070_zpsuvkibcbv.jpg
What tarp and tent are those? I think I've settled on a DCF tarp and DCF pyramid as being the most versatile light setup. Now I just need to settle on a Manufacturer.