Which vanes for my arrows???

cmeier117

WKR
I am trying to figure out some good vanes for my new arrows I am building. I will be using 4 fletch and arrow weight will be 520-550 grains with a 125 or 150 grain broadhead. Haven't decided which yet. Should you look for more surface area, more height, more length? How much is enough, I want them to be accurate but I also don't want uneccesary weight at the back of my arrow. I am looking at trying the Vanetec V-Max series in 3 inch, the Vanetec Swift cut in either 2.25 inch or 2.88 inch ones? Most likely I will be using a straight clamp with a good amount of offset.

Craig4791

WKR
I have had good luck with three fletch right helical blazers. You shouldn't have a problem with that arrow weight and FOC numbers though. With the right spine a heavy arrow and high FOC you should be flying real well the four fletch will be even better likely.

JasonWi

WKR
I think you'll be fine with 4 fletch using the 2.25 or 2.88 vanes. I've shot 477 grain arrows with 3 fletch blazers and they flew great out to 50 yards.

Are you planning on using wraps? If so..depending on the length they can add quite a bit of weight decreasing your FOC. So if you decide to run 4 fletch and a wrap you may be getting on the lower limits of FOC?

OP
cmeier117

cmeier117

WKR
I won't be using a wrap, as much as I like the look. For some reason I get luckier or unluckier (which ever way you want to look at it) when I shoot broadheads and so I cut off a lot of fletchings. That is why I am trying to get away with the 2.25's, don't want to much weight on the back of my arrow.

OR Archer

WKR
Id just go with a 3 fletch and Blazers. Plenty of steering, less drag, and will keep your FOC up.

Slim Jim

WKR
Cmeier, I've been thinking of going to a 4 fletch myself. I just got the Tommy Hogg and if I want to shoot just a little farther on my slider without hitting my top fletch, I have to either flip my arrow upside down or go to a four fletch. I guess I could learn to stack pins but I'm maxed out right now at about 115 yards and only need about 20 more yards

OP
cmeier117

cmeier117

WKR
I am guessing my Foc could be as high as 14% with the 150 grain heads. I am new to arrow building but am confident my bow will be tuned well and I may just start with the 2.25's and fletch 6 arrows and see how they shoot, I can always switch to the 2.88's or try something different all together.

OP
cmeier117

cmeier117

WKR
It is either between the 150 grain VPA or the 125 grain Trophy Taker Shuttle T. It may change but those are the two I have it narrowed down too.

Flex Fletch vanes are the best in my opinion. You cant find a better vane and I have tried a lot. I use the flash vanes or the FF360

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Flex Fletch vanes are the best in my opinion. You cant find a better vane and I have tried a lot. I use the flash vanes or the FF360

Three FF360's is also my favorite fixed blade "recipe", but if you want to shoot 4-fletch, try the flex fletch 310 (3.1") shield cut vanes. You will drive tacks with that load behind a Shuttle-T! They're pretty light and a little lower profile. A lot quieter than Blazers and I don't think you'll find any more accuracy with another vane. You may be able to get away with a little shorter vane, but I personally would choose to err on the side of more stability and try the 310's.

Coop