Which Weatherby Caliber

amassi

WKR
270 weatherby, just as capable as the 6.5-300 with less powder and less overbore

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

amassi

WKR
On a whim I bought a Mark V Weathermark LT 6.5 RPM and I love the thing. Made in Wyoming, cerkoted and a trigger tech trigger. The factory load with the 127 LRX shot extremely well. .5" at 1 00, .75 at 200 and 1.1" at 300 yards. My wife killed her mule deer with it this year. I switched to the 140 accubonds and killed a bull elk 1st rifle season. It is just another 6.5 but it performs well. I feel its more of a realistic cartridge than the fire breathing 6.5 300 but nothing wrong with a dragon! View attachment 226890View attachment 226891
I know I know her buck is almost as big as my bull
I ordered one, hows the recoil without the brake?

Sykes

WKR
I ordered one, hows the recoil without the brake?

127 lrx is snappy but not bad. 140s hits a little harder. I'd say less recoil than my 280AI. Nothing crazy. Haven't shot it with the brake yet, probably won't either. Ordered some redding dies and gunna try the 124 hammer hunters first. Guessing 3300 fps is doable since hammers seem to always run a little faster and the factory 127s are going 3225

amassi

WKR
127 lrx is snappy but not bad. 140s hits a little harder. I'd say less recoil than my 280AI. Nothing crazy. Haven't shot it with the brake yet, probably won't either. Ordered some redding dies and gunna try the 124 hammer hunters first. Guessing 3300 fps is doable since hammers seem to always run a little faster and the factory 127s are going 3225
Nice
3300 should be easy easy, guy on weatherby nation has the 130tmk well over 3300 with N560
Also- I ordered the redding 3 die set. Talked to Redding in the phone and they will have bushing dies around December

Last edited:

BjornF16

WKR
How smooth are the Weatherby actions? Equivalent or better than Tikka?

Accuracy good out of the box?

I like their short bolt throw.

You are choosing from 2 very cool weatherby cartridges! I have had a 20 something year affair with the 257 and feel its great for anything in north america. I am left handed and never stumbled across a lefty 270 or I would own one. I have bought two 6.5-300s now and thats my new go to! I dont feel it will do much my 257 wont do but its been fun developing this new rifle. I say find a rifle you like the best in one of your caliber choices and have fun. And remember, other hunters fear a man with a weatherby!

Dhbwa

WKR
just another opinion but I went 270WBY mostly for the nostalgia...But a 150 Berger at 3250 will definitely get a deers attention WAY out there.....

Minimal experience with tikka (handled two or three at SCI), but the Weatherby actions I have handles are incredibly smooth

amassi

WKR

Different, both smooth in their own way
The weatherby bolt body is the same diameter as the lugs so the bolt doesnt wobble. Most bolts ride on the lugs, weatherby had a full body of contact so more resistance
The main difference is the 54* bolt throw. Never worry about mounting optics

I've had an iching to buy a 257 for years,that and a strange desire to own a 30-378 weatherby mag.

I handled a handful of them in scheels the other day and the MkV actions had very stiff bolt lift. The bolt slid forward and back pretty nicely but the bolt lift was heavy. This is a pretty standard compromise you see in standard 2 vs 3 lug actions, it is easier to get a light bolt lift with 2 lugs. The weatherby actions are basically a 3 lug with 3 rows of lugs so there are actually 9 lugs (2 rows of lugs on the smaller cartridges like 6.5 RPM).

Personally, I'd rather rotate the bolt a few more degrees and upset the site picture less than have a shorter throw that requires more force. The compromise with 90 degree throws is tight scope clearance if you have a scope mounted very low with a large ocular bell.

amassi

WKR
I handled a handful of them in scheels the other day and the MkV actions had very stiff bolt lift. The bolt slid forward and back pretty nicely but the bolt lift was heavy. This is a pretty standard compromise you see in standard 2 vs 3 lug actions, it is easier to get a light bolt lift with 2 lugs. The weatherby actions are basically a 3 lug with 3 rows of lugs so there are actually 9 lugs (2 rows of lugs on the smaller cartridges like 6.5 RPM).

Personally, I'd rather rotate the bolt a few more degrees and upset the site picture less than have a shorter throw that requires more force. The compromise with 90 degree throws is tight scope clearance if you have a scope mounted very low with a large ocular bell.
That stiffness goes away after a short break in

BjornF16

WKR
Well...on my Kimber and Barrett I have minimal clearance between bolt and scope. Somewhat of a knuckle buster if I'm not paying attention.

I've ordered a Backcountry in 6.5 RPM.

I may have some rifles for sale soon...

Edit: I just hope Weatherby supports that cartridge long term. I like the idea of 127 LRX going 3200+ fps. Seems like that would be a good ungulate slayer.

Last edited:

300 win mag

Lil-Rokslider
As mentioned a 1:7 for standard cartridge velocities. I have seen mentioned to go 1:7.5 -8 for magnum cartridges to not risk exploding the bullet! For velocities over 3200 fps

if shooting 131 blackjacks exclusively,go 1-7 twist.if you want to shoot a bit lighter hammer or barnes or other also,then go 1-7.5 twist.will still stabilize the 131s.good shooting and hunting.