Which week for Idaho solo Archery elk 2022

Hey guys!

Help me figure out which week I should take to hunt elk in Idaho this year. Specifically I'm going back to the beaverhead unit.

Last year my buddy and I went September 1 to September 8. We didn't get into much bugling, but we saw elk every single day of the hunt. I had originally thought it would be better to go a week later, however I am now rethinking. Should I go for opening day (30th through the 7th or 8th) in effort to catch bulls that are solo or Bachelored up, or should I go a week or even two weeks laterr to try to get into more rut activity?

I'm not good at sitting still so preferably I don't want to sit a wallow and wait all day. I either want to spot and stalk, ambush them coming out to feed, or call them in.

My only fear is going a week or two later *might* result in more pressure from hunters.

Since I am going solo, I can swing it to go whichever week is best. Anybody prefer earlier?

P Carter

WKR
Hey guys!

Help me figure out which week I should take to hunt elk in Idaho this year. Specifically I'm going back to the beaverhead unit.

Last year my buddy and I went September 1 to September 8. We didn't get into much bugling, but we saw elk every single day of the hunt. I had originally thought it would be better to go a week later, however I am now rethinking. Should I go for opening day (30th through the 7th or 8th) in effort to catch bulls that are solo or Bachelored up, or should I go a week or even two weeks laterr to try to get into more rut activity?

I'm not good at sitting still so preferably I don't want to sit a wallow and wait all day. I either want to spot and stalk, ambush them coming out to feed, or call them in.

My only fear is going a week or two later *might* result in more pressure from hunters.

Since I am going solo, I can swing it to go whichever week is best. Anybody prefer earlier?
Don’t leave elk to chase elk; if you saw elk every day, I’d go then and there and shoot one this time!

OP
E
Don’t leave elk to chase elk; if you saw elk every day, I’d go then and there and shoot one this time!
I got close more times than I care to admit.my lack of experience really got me good and served me a heaping helping of humble pie....

The only thing I wish was different was a little more bugling. Might not get it, but the last day a couple bulls started going off. I regret not running at them. That was the only day I sat a wallow. Mistake on my part

wnelson14

WKR
Shot mine same area September 27, and he was rutting hard. A local told me that we arrived just in time and things were heating up. Shot mine on day five, had an opportunity everyday we hunted

OP
E
Shot mine same area September 27, and he was rutting hard. A local told me that we arrived just in time and things were heating up. Shot mine on day five, had an opportunity everyday we hunted
Dang! Maybe I was there too early! That sounds like a blast!

Huntnnw

WKR
depends on the year, pressure, weather etc. Last year I spent 17 days in ID over the month of September. I had 1 week off what I thought would be the best week and hunted 4 day weekends. The best trip I had was the opening week. I heard more bulls and was into elk more than the rest of the month. Its a crap shoot.

OP
E
depends on the year, pressure, weather etc. Last year I spent 17 days in ID over the month of September. I had 1 week off what I thought would be the best week and hunted 4 day weekends. The best trip I had was the opening week. I heard more bulls and was into elk more than the rest of the month. Its a crap shoot.
Interesting. So in your opinion you don't think it is consistent enough to matter too much?

Huntnnw

WKR
I don't. I have bowhunted elk quite abit over the years and I have had some great opening weeks and I've also had some great mid to late September hunts. I've also had some phenomenal early to mid October hunts in ID. For myself if I had cool weather and low pressure in the first week versus hot weather and lots of pressure in the prime dates I'm taking the early hunt, but that's so hard to predict or know

OP
E
I don't. I have bowhunted elk quite abit over the years and I have had some great opening weeks and I've also had some great mid to late September hunts. I've also had some phenomenal early to mid October hunts in ID. For myself if I had cool weather and low pressure in the first week versus hot weather and lots of pressure in the prime dates I'm taking the early hunt, but that's so hard to predict or know
Do you find more pressure from hunters at a certain time of the month?

Gerbdog

WKR
In my experience its the weather week to week, day to day, that will make for great hunting days or ehhhh hunting days.

Last year where i was hunting, it rained ALL day the day before the opener. The morning of the opener the bulls were bugling there heads off all over the mountain.

Fast forward a week and a half with super hot dry weather and nothing was talking in that same area.

Then at the end of the season we had a couple days of rain again, and once again the bulls were all triggered the next morning, bugling their heads off.

I would pick whichever part of the season you can get the most days hunting, there are too many factors to determine when /where bulls will be bugling, keep moving and stay optimistic if you wanna find bulls that will engage you.

Dont be afraid to get out in the wet weather, bring the proper gear to manage it and deal with being soggy, they may not talk much during the storm but the little breaks during the storm and the day following the storm can be pure gold and you will wanna be out there around a clearing where they will come out to feed.

to answer you hunting pressure questions..... completely up in the air.

Opening weekend i can say for sure is loaded in the woods, but thats because its A. opening weekend for hunters, and B. a holiday weekend for everyone else.

OP
E
In my experience its the weather week to week, day to day, that will make for great hunting days or ehhhh hunting days.

Last year where i was hunting, it rained ALL day the day before the opener. The morning of the opener the bulls were bugling there heads off all over the mountain.

Fast forward a week and a half with super hot dry weather and nothing was talking in that same area.

Then at the end of the season we had a couple days of rain again, and once again the bulls were all triggered the next morning, bugling their heads off.

I would pick whichever part of the season you can get the most days hunting, there are too many factors to determine when /where bulls will be bugling, keep moving and stay optimistic if you wanna find bulls that will engage you.

Dont be afraid to get out in the wet weather, bring the proper gear to manage it and deal with being soggy, they may not talk much during the storm but the little breaks during the storm and the day following the storm can be pure gold and you will wanna be out there around a clearing where they will come out to feed.

to answer you hunting pressure questions..... completely up in the air.

Opening weekend i can say for sure is loaded in the woods, but thats because its A. opening weekend for hunters, and B. a holiday weekend for everyone

Good points. I hadn't considered normal people out just doing things on labor day.

It really does sound like it just depends on what else happens to determine how the hunt goes. I should probably quit thinking so much but dang to burn 10 days of time off, the gas to get there and the effort I'm gonna put in .... I want to have the best chance I can

Gerbdog

WKR
Good points. I hadn't considered normal people out just doing things on labor day.

It really does sound like it just depends on what else happens to determine how the hunt goes. I should probably quit thinking so much but dang to burn 10 days of time off, the gas to get there and the effort I'm gonna put in .... I want to have the best chance I can
I mean... thats the risk of it isnt it... If you go out and kill a bull you'll think you picked the correct 10 days.... if you go out and get skunked you'll think forever that you chose the wrong 10 days.... fact is it had nothing to do with what 10 days you picked, had everything to do with crap that was completely out of your hands, like the weather, or the wind that was steady in one direction switching on you when your 100 yards out, etc. etc.

That's hunting though!

I hunt the same zone and the bugling has been different each year for the last 6 that I have hunted it. Some years opening night has elk screaming all around. Some years I don't hear a peep until the last week. I think the amount of rain, fires (I think this is pretty big as it changes daylight) and hunting pressure has a lot to do with how much bugling you will hear.

Marble

WKR
I got close more times than I care to admit.my lack of experience really got me good and served me a heaping helping of humble pie....

The only thing I wish was different was a little more bugling. Might not get it, but the last day a couple bulls started going off. I regret not running at them. That was the only day I sat a wallow. Mistake on my part
Not to be flip, but you don't kill bugles. If you were in the elk and were very close,then rethink tactics.

Location and tactics > week of choice

Weather plays a role
Pressure
Individual bulls attitude
Experience
Dumb luck

I would go to the same place at the same time and cha ge tactics slightly.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Huntnnw

WKR
Do you find more pressure from hunters at a certain time of the month?
Seems like anyone planning a week long elk hunt and thats the only trip they take its somewhere between Sept 15 and 25. Was noticeable last year where I hunted and every year for that matter. First 2 trips of the year I barely saw a rig, by the 3rd week I saw lots of rigs parked at gated roads or trailheads

OP
E
I mean... thats the risk of it isnt it... If you go out and kill a bull you'll think you picked the correct 10 days.... if you go out and get skunked you'll think forever that you chose the wrong 10 days.... fact is it had nothing to do with what 10 days you picked, had everything to do with crap that was completely out of your hands, like the weather, or the wind that was steady in one direction switching on you when your 100 yards out, etc. etc.

That's hunting though!
That's a pretty fair point... I just have to tinker on this stuff in the off season to scratch the itch, and I have to at least make an educated guess as to when I would have a halfway decent chance. Last year I missed opening day of goose here and my wife was not stoked... so this year I am for surely pushing back a couple days to make sure I take her goose hunting first. Lol