Which week to hunt in WY in 2021

If you were to draw a tag in units 58, 59 or 61 and plan on using an outfitter which week would you pick to hunt? The opener or toward the end when it might be colder? I know it is a roll of the dice but curious on people's opinions.

Need more info. If you’re on private land you need to find out if elk are resident or move down later. If resident elk then the opener for sure. Public land.... hunt the opener unless your outfitter gives you a good reason not to.

OP
CAElkhunter
Public land wilderness hunt horseback. Outfitter with great reputation. As most will he was hesitant to commit which week was best but said it is usually nice to hunt the resident herd on the opener with a rifle but said we might see other people as everyone wants to hunt the opener. He said the later hunts can be great if the weather is cold because of the migration.

wyosteve

WKR
If there's a resident herd, I'd be there for the opener. It's more of a sure thing than a late-weather dependent hunt.

Laramie

WKR
I assume rifle hunting and not archery? If so, the opener is probably going to be your safest bet to be into elk and probably harvest a bull. If you are looking for a special bull, and willing to eat tag soup if it doesn't work out, I would go later.

I live in an area that is kinda like what you are describing. I like to hunt archery and rifle opener, then wait for the mid to late ocober cold spell. You don't know when that cold will come in. You do know when the opener will be. If I had to choose, I'd choose the opener and make sure you are in the spot you want to be at least 60-90 min before first light.

That cold spell is usually a great time to get an elk, but who knows what days that will be in any given year.

Last edited:
OP
CAElkhunter
thanks. I am on a rifle hunt. That is what I have been thinking. Later relies on weather. I haven't had good luck lately predicting weather.....

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hinkraka