Which week would u hunt archery elk in Wy

ia bhtr

FNG
Read all the threads I've found on this , maybe looking for some new insight

With max pref pts I should draw this year , thinking 3rd week of Sept , hopefully get them talking and looking , what's you guys thoughts

Should state this is 1st time elk hunting , zero experience

KyleSS

Lil-Rokslider
So take this for what it is worth as I am in Alberta. We will hear bulls start bugling by Sept 1 or even earlier. Guys will talk how they are calling bulls and killing them by Sept 10th. That is all true, unless you're targeting big mature bulls. From what I've seen, the big boys won't even become interested until around the 20th to the 25th of Sept.

On Sept 19th 2020, I watched a 320" class bull run 30 cows around a hay field screaming his head off. 250 yards away in the same hay field was a honest 360" bull grazing all by himself and he had no interest in what the 320" bull or the cows were doing.

This past year, from Sept 22rd to Oct 3rd was absolute chaos. The big boys were running hard, small bulls were picking their butt and it was amazing. We killed 2 bulls on Sept 26 and another on Sept 30th.

When we book our elk hunters, we aim for 2 X 10 days hunts and we shoot for Sept 16 - 25th & Sept 27 - Oct 5th

Again, this is for Alberta so hopefully someone chimes in with experience in Wyoming

fmyth

WKR
If I were you I'd take the entire month off and hunt every day. If you can't get away to hunt the entire month I'd suggest that you hire an outfitter/guide. A premium unit with max points does not mean its going to be an easy hunt. Unless you are 30 years old you'll likely never have this chance again in your life. I won a governors tag, chose a premium unit and took off for a month and took me 22 days get it done during rifle season. This was not my first time in the unit, not my first hunt and not my first elk. It probably cost me 20k in lost revenue and expenses. I have no regrets.

Rat

FNG
The couple of times I hunted Wyoming in September the rut was really going hard the last week. Not sure if that is the case ever year, but from my very limited experience I like the end of September. I am the farthest thing from an experienced elk hunter. We had multiple bulls screaming at us and younger bulls running all over the place. Again it could have just been a coincidence the two years I went but that's the experience that I had. It might be more difficult to kill a trophy bull that time of year, but I just truly enjoyed all of the action.

OP
I

ia bhtr

FNG
Thanks for all the thoughts guys

Recently retired , with my job as Mgr of an Agronomy center, I was limited to an hour here or there to bowhunt white tails here at home

My gift to myself after 45 years on the job was an Archery Elk hunt in a prime unit , thus planning ahead buying points for when my time to hunt elk arrived

When season comes around I will be 70 , while in pretty good shape, not sure I want to try it alone, I do have a very reputable guide booked and we've been talking the week of Sept 20th

I trust him completely, just looking for everyone's thoughts on time

Believe me , would've loved to have been able in younger years to do what many have suggested, but 90 hour 7 days a week work during hunting seasons kind of kept me from it , also why I can afford to do it now:)

ElkNut1

WKR
On a helpful note, pick your dates from the 14th to 24th, absolutely the Money times!

ElkNut

KyleSS

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the thoughts guys

Recently retired , with my job as Mgr of an Agronomy center, I was limited to an hour here or there to bowhunt white tails here at home

My gift to myself after 45 years on the job was an Archery Elk hunt in a prime unit , thus planning ahead buying points for when my time to hunt elk arrived

When season comes around I will be 70 , while in pretty good shape, not sure I want to try it alone, I do have a very reputable guide booked and we've been talking the week of Sept 20th

I trust him completely, just looking for everyone's thoughts on time

Believe me , would've loved to have been able in younger years to do what many have suggested, but 90 hour 7 days a week work during hunting seasons kind of kept me from it , also why I can afford to do it now:)
I think Sept 20th for 10 days will be a great time.
Best of luck on your well deserved hunt.

My best advice is be realistic with yourself and have a game plan going in.

What kind of bull do you want to take home?
Everyone wants a 350"+ but they are rare and even harder to kill.

Make sure you don't let a 280" walk on day two when you would gladly kill him on day 9

Enjoy the hunt, take lots of pictures, push hard and leave nothing on the table

Shoot straight

wytx

WKR
I guess where we hunt is different.
Early Sept the elk have not heard tons of hunters calling to them. They may not be talking but are definitely listening. The bulls will tend to come in silent but come in.
By 3rd week they have heard everything hunters know to throw at them and go silent with increased pressure. Might bugle at night and sporadic during daylight.

OP
I

ia bhtr

FNG
Nice thing about my hunt will be on private ground , very large private ranch with very limited number of hunters

Told the people I booked with that putting an elk on the ground was more important to me than getting a big bull , not that a big bull wouldn't be nice, so yeppers , I get a good clean slam dunk on a smaller bull early in the hunt , he is going to get an arrow headed his way

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
Glad to not see anyone mention the moon phase because I am hunting 3rd week this year. Full moon 9/20/21

I have seen cnelk's post on the topic several times (thank you, cnelk) and have a good idea of the general consensus, but was pleased to not see anyone in this thread bring it up......

And I agree on hiring an outfitter, which is sounds like you have done.....private land is where it's at

OP
I

ia bhtr

FNG
Glad to not see anyone mention the moon phase because I am hunting 3rd week this year. Full moon 9/20/21

I have seen cnelk's post on the topic several times (thank you, cnelk) and have a good idea of the general consensus, but was pleased to not see anyone in this thread bring it up......

And I agree on hiring an outfitter, which is sounds like you have done.....private land is where it's at
That's the thing that bothers me most is what the moon phase is going to be , back half Sept not looking good that way

KyleSS

Lil-Rokslider
That's the thing that bothers me most is what the moon phase is going to be , back half Sept not looking good that way
In my experience, when you have a full moon, it just means the rut hard at night and leave the fields earlier.
Just adapt and over come.

Play your wind and follow them into the bedding area. Get in side 100-150 yards are rip off a bugle.
He will get out of his bed and come crashing in.

KyleSS

Lil-Rokslider
Here is some moon phase data in relation to when I have killed bulls

Oct 31 2009 - 94% illumination
Oct 31 2010 - 39% illumination
Sept 15 2013 - 80% illumination
Oct 25 2015 - 94% illumination
Oct 21 2017 - 3% illumination
Oct 21 2018 - 89% illumination
Sept 30 2020 - 98% illumination

Like I said earlier, Sept 22 2020 to Oct 3 2020 was the craziest rutting action I have ever seen. The moon illumination was 33% to 98% respectfully during this time.

There is no freaking way I’d burn max points with no experience. You should cow hunt this year and think about a bull after that. The only exception is if you’re going guided. It is NOT deer hunting. Not even remotely close.