Which weight lifting belt?

BuckHunter24

Lil-Rokslider
Coincidence the first time I've been logged on in a while and I just googled weight lifting belts. I hit a point on my cleans and deadlifts that I need to get one. I was trying to decide between 4 and 6 inch. It's been a decade since I wore one it seems like I used a 6 inch, but I'm leaning towards a 4 inch now.

I have had good luck with rogue.

I use their 4” nylon belt for some crossfit type lifts which are more dynamic.

for heavier deadlifts and squats I use this guy:

LostArra

WKR
Coincidence the first time I've been logged on in a while and I just googled weight lifting belts. I hit a point on my cleans and deadlifts that I need to get one. I was trying to decide between 4 and 6 inch. It's been a decade since I wore one it seems like I used a 6 inch, but I'm leaning towards a 4 inch now.

Every body is different but a 3" belt (Pioneer) really works well for me.

JMasson

Lil-Rokslider
I am in the Army and I do a lot of weightlifting (the sport). I have gone through probably a dozen belts over the past few years and finally settled on a 3" 6mm leather weightlifting belt from Pioneer. I am 5'11", 203#, squat 455 for a 1RM, dealift 1RM is 500, C&L PR is 385# and Snatch PR is 315# (not terrible numbers but I also have to keep up a robust cardio program). Anyone that says you should be looking upward while squatting hasn't been coached since the 90s. Sorry (not sorry) if that offends anyone but that is terrible advice and a good way to end up with some anterior pelvic tilt at the bottom of your squat. Look straight ahead, brace all the way through your core, and power out the bottom while keeping your core braces and your spine neutral throughout the movement.

Pioneer gets my vote 100% of the time. I have 2. One is their 4" hybrid weightlifting belt and the other is a 3" 6mm tapered weightlifting belt. Neither is the best for heavy conventional powerlifting but I also only do a maximal strength cycle about 2 times a year so they do the trick for me. Just my two cents on the topic.

Poser

WKR
^ 315# is a super impressive snatch benchmark. Few people will ever be able to throw 6 plates over their head. I’m guessing you’re at a point where technique is dialed in and your #s going up are subordinate to your DL going up?

It’s amazing how the “look up when you squat” advice just won’t die. You’ll see people bring it up like it’s advice that no one in the world has ever heard before. It’s particularly funny when people try and apply that advice to a low bar squat when they don’t even know there is difference between a low bar and a high bar squat. How much can you really know about squatting if you don’t understand the mechanical difference between those two squatting styles?

JMasson

Lil-Rokslider
^ 315# is a super impressive snatch benchmark. Few people will ever be able to throw 6 plates over their head. I’m guessing you’re at a point where technique is dialed in and your #s going up are subordinate to your DL going up?

It’s amazing how the “look up when you squat” advice just won’t die. You’ll see people bring it up like it’s advice that no one in the world has ever heard before. It’s particularly funny when people try and apply that advice to a low bar squat when they don’t even know there is difference between a low bar and a high bar squat. How much can you really know about squatting if you don’t understand the mechanical difference between those two squatting styles?

Yes, your assumption is correct. To be honest, I have not tried to improve my snatch or C&L PRs in over year. I have been focusing on very high volume at submaximal loads (60ish%). Even on a heavy day I lift submaximal (85% maybe a little bit more if I'm feeling good). I am happy where with where I am at, especially considering I ran 4 miles in 30 minutes this morning.

I struggle to teach Soldiers proper squat/ deadlift technique and I keep hearing the same old stuff from others..."don't let your knees pass your toes", "look upward when squatting", etc.

CHSD

WKR
Thanks for the discussion on deadlifts. I am fairly new to Olympic lifts and appreciate the discussion as I am trying to learn as much as I can. This thread ha had me doing a bunch of different research to make sure I am doing them correctly. So thanks!

JMasson

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the discussion on deadlifts. I am fairly new to Olympic lifts and appreciate the discussion as I am trying to learn as much as I can. This thread ha had me doing a bunch of different research to make sure I am doing them correctly. So thanks!

The most important piece of advice that I give new weightlifters is to not get greedy. I've been weightlifting for basically of my adult life and it took me 10 years of training before I hit respectable numbers. I do not compete and my numbers are actually pretty low for my weight class. I weightlift because I feel that the complex movements, combined with the training regimens (as well as focusing heavily on stamina and cardiovascular endurance) equates to longevity and survivability in my line of work (combat). Try and get some coaching, not from some XFit level 1 dweeb, it will go a long way. Chances are you probably have a weightlifting gym in your area.

This is starting to stray off topic, so I will put yet another plug in for Pioneer Powerlifting belts.

OP
lyle_destroys
The most important piece of advice that I give new weightlifters is to not get greedy. I've been weightlifting for basically of my adult life and it took me 10 years of training before I hit respectable numbers. I do not compete and my numbers are actually pretty low for my weight class. I weightlift because I feel that the complex movements, combined with the training regimens (as well as focusing heavily on stamina and cardiovascular endurance) equates to longevity and survivability in my line of work (combat). Try and get some coaching, not from some XFit level 1 dweeb, it will go a long way. Chances are you probably have a weightlifting gym in your area.

This is starting to stray off topic, so I will put yet another plug in for Pioneer Powerlifting belts.
What's your mos?