Which wood for smoking elk

Slugz

WKR
Slow roll some cherry then hardwood mix ( Oak, Maple, hickory)
Truss is up first so it will hold a uniform shape and you will get a more even cook.

D_Dubya

Lil-Rokslider
Smoking game meat is an iffy endeavor. Don’t over do it. I have unlimited amounts of post oak, live oak, mesquite and pecan down here and I prefer post oak by far for game meat though pecan can be great just more work. I have a large offset/indirect bbq pit smoker that gets a significant amount of use. Don’t treat venison or elk like beef or pork - pull it sooner like 135 internal or so. I baste mine with either a butter/soy/brown sugar mix or an olive oil/basalmic mix. Pic is a WT back strap I smoked two or three weeks ago. My kid’s favorite meal (usually a deer one of them killed).

Attachments

• 69C292D5-958C-4CBA-B900-1169EEB6C56F.jpeg
    69C292D5-958C-4CBA-B900-1169EEB6C56F.jpeg
    342.9 KB · Views: 65

JoeDirt

WKR
I use maple as a base mostly because it grows like weeds around here. The elk also eat the maple and alder leafs for what its worth...lol

I'll toss in whatever I have on the maple fire. Cherry, Hickory, Vine Maple, Alder. I cant tell much of a difference really hot and fast for prime cuts. Make sure to baste with butter.

50D84405-1A98-46BD-8397-27F562B0B269.jpeg

Last edited:
I like Apple and cherry but use whatever is on hand. I like to smoke tenderloin, backstrap or steaks until they are around 120 then turn up the heat for a sear, usually 450-475 and 4:30 per side. The quick sear gives it that crust and you’ll still have the smoke ring and flavor.

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
Smoking game meat is an iffy endeavor. Don’t over do it. I have unlimited amounts of post oak, live oak, mesquite and pecan down here and I prefer post oak by far for game meat though pecan can be great just more work. I have a large offset/indirect bbq pit smoker that gets a significant amount of use. Don’t treat venison or elk like beef or pork - pull it sooner like 135 internal or so. I baste mine with either a butter/soy/brown sugar mix or an olive oil/basalmic mix. Pic is a WT back strap I smoked two or three weeks ago. My kid’s favorite meal (usually a deer one of them killed).

Looks excellent! Tell me about those jalapeños-do you put them in for the first hour and pull?

go_deep

WKR
Lots of options for good smoke, but my brother in law bought me some specialty wood for Christmas a few years ago. Oak bourbon barrel is dynamite!

Wrench

WKR
Ive never had a bad wood choice.....and ill second the pull it early advice. Elk colir is not the same as beef and if you try to match beef.....you'll cook the elj beyond it's capacity.

Windigo

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, I'll second that. Treat your smoker more like a smoky oven and you'll be fine. I think I've been doing 120F, but I also let it rest a good while.

Laramie

WKR
I use apple when doing a sweeter seasoning blend- brown sugar, garlic, seasonall. Baste with cooking sherry once on each side. Don't go overboard on the sherry.

I use mesquite when doing a more traditional steakhouse seasoning - cracked black pepper, salt, and very light finely ground coffee. Baste liberally with butter.

Smoke to 120F internal. Remove and wrap- allow to rest for 10 minutes. Bring grill up to 450F. Sear on both sides for 45-90 seconds. Do not allow internal temp to go above 135F. Rest for a few more minutes and then slice and enjoy.

OP
Rob5589

Rob5589

WKR
Lots of options for good smoke, but my brother in law bought me some specialty wood for Christmas a few years ago. Oak bourbon barrel is dynamite!
Nice! Going to have to look for some.

I have never put a backstrap in the smoker but have smoked many roasts. My favorite is to inject it with hard cider, rub it with salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder and put a couple slices of onion on it. Put it in the smoker with either apple wood or the Jack Daniel's oak barrel wood and spritz with apple cider. Take it out and rest it at 125 internal temperature. It is the most tender juicy venison you will ever eat!

I use oak for pretty much everything because that's what I have easiest access to. I cut the logs down to ≈12" length and split them into staves that I burn in a homemade external smoke box that feeds into a Masterbuilt electric cabinet-style smoker.

I haven't smoked an elk backstrap yet, but I would approach it the same as a whitetail backstrap, of which I've done several using the following method:
  1. Soak overnight in brine solution consisting of water, kosher salt, and brown sugar at a 16:1:1 ratio (by volume).
  2. Remove meat from brine, pat dry with paper towel, coat lightly with kosher salt and black pepper.
  3. Smoke at 250-275°F until internal meat temperature reaches 125°F (didn't take long, maybe 30-45 min).
  4. Sear meat on a hot grill (500-600°F) for about 1 minute per side.

OP
Rob5589

Rob5589

WKR
Just to follow up; I used hickory and lump charcoal. I used some of Lanes Brancho seasoning and smoked at 280* until 120 internal. Came out fantastic. It cooked a bit quicker than expected but it still absorbed the smoke more than adequately. Thanks all for the rec's.
IMG_20210618_172915249.jpg