Which wood for smoking elk

I've heard alder is best with fish, I wouldn't use that for red meat personally. Although I've never used it, so take that with a grain of salt....
Mesquite is never a bad choice. But I do like the idea of a 50/50 mix with hickory and either apple or cherry in there. Just be careful with hickory, too much smoke from that can make for a bitter taste.

If you can get it, try mountain mahogany. Worth a trip to the high country IMO!

Really? My buddy loves working that wood even though it dulls his tools super quick being hard as iron. He says the smell he gets when it gets hot is amazing. This made me wonder about using it as a smoking wood.

Did you use it seasoned or green?

I've only done an elk backstrap in my smoker once. It came out with the smoke quality tasting too much like hot dog or beef jerky... Weirdly.

I think I followed either rinella or Hank Shaw's recipe for smoking venison (the salting/brine part) and likely used pecan, apple, or hickory. Smoked it to internal of 130 and let rest.

Think it was the wood choice or brine part? Or the smoke temp and time?

xcutter

WKR
Reverse sear on pellet grill is my favorite. Use a fruitwood such as Hickory, apple, peach...

Set pellet grill to 225F. Put meat on grill and let cook until it has reached 120 to 125F. Pull it off the grill and get a skillet on your stove hot with bacon grease in it. Sear all sides of steak to get a nice crust all over. Let rest for 5 to 10 minutes. Enjoy.

OP
Rob5589

Rob5589

WKR
I've only done an elk backstrap in my smoker once. It came out with the smoke quality tasting too much like hot dog or beef jerky... Weirdly.

I think I followed either rinella or Hank Shaw's recipe for smoking venison (the salting/brine part) and likely used pecan, apple, or hickory. Smoked it to internal of 130 and let rest.

Think it was the wood choice or brine part? Or the smoke temp and time?
If I were to guess, I'd say the brining was at fault.
The first time I did a true smoke, I used way too much hardwood. I've since learned a little goes a long way. That piece was plenty smoky though lol

slvrslngr

WKR
Really? My buddy loves working that wood even though it dulls his tools super quick being hard as iron. He says the smell he gets when it gets hot is amazing. This made me wonder about using it as a smoking wood.

Did you use it seasoned or green?
Seasoned. I think for game meat there’s nothing better. It’s crazy hard so just break it up with an axe or maul. It’ll destroy a chainsaw chain pronto! 🤣