Which would you pick... Replacing my bows

Marble

WKR
They are, I prefer to shoot a bow bottomed out. Doesn't matter anything like it use to now, but with the SW you can go 50-75#

Defiant had a few cam issues. I had one, after ten years I washed my hands with Hoyt after all the headache I had from my turbo defiant. In my opinion Hoyt isn't what it used to be.
Ill just respectfully disagree on the Hoyt comment. I've had three in 6 years and the only issue I had was needing a twist in the string or cable every once in a great while.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
I listened to the podcast Snyder jsmust did on compounds. I think he tested 6 of them and said the difference between all of them is so very minimal.

I agree with what was said above. 33 to 34 ata with a much better string angle, better brace height and more forgiving.

Go shoot as many as you can.

Also, keep in mind going towards a brand the local shop supports. It pays off. If you go there and try to shoot several of them, one of them will stand out to you. That's what I did with my wife. She shot probably 8 bows, or held 8 at least. Narrowed it down to two and then one.

I bought my first brand new bow in my life this year (44 years old). Got in Axius Ultra. I really like it. But that's me...

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Zac

WKR
I haven't read this entire thread. Anyway your spot on with part of your assessment. Longer ATA and longer brace is awesome and demonstrates a ton of maturity. The whole short bow set up and different poundage thing is ridiculous. So much changes with different string angles and a 10 lb draw difference. Your asking for major inconsistencies with the two bow thing. 80 lbs is probably fine. You can always wind down a little. From what you described the PSE NXT 35, 33, or NXT 33 would check all the boxes. Any Hoyt Ultra would work as well. The new Mathews TRX 34 would also be a great option as well as provide you with great let off options. The Prime Black 3, and 5 would also work. However the PSE is the only option that has the brace your looking for.

If it’s trying to slam your hand forward from small adjustments it sounds like either you aren’t holding the weight properly or your draw length is too long. It’s not the bow. I have a Vertix with 80% let off and 75# mods and I can make LARGE anchor adjustments with it, without issue. I personally think something else is the issue here.

But to add a bow to the mix I’d look at the Bowtech Realm SR6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

X-file

Lil-Rokslider
I will say that I am a fan of the pse cam system. As others have stated 33-35” is kind of the sweet spot for performance and stability. If primarily tree stand hunting then a shorter ata might be worth it. I also think that your dl will be a factor. If you have a longer dl then a shorter ata may cause you string angle issues and stability issues. Also all bows will have different string angles even with the same ata due to the flex of the limbs on the draw.
If you have a dl over 28” I think the pse mentioned might be your best choice. For shorter draw lengths I am a big fan if the Bowtech realm sr6. Even though it is a 6” brace, at shorter draw length you will not feel the effects as much plus you gain in performance over all other bows mentioned.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

N2TRKYS

WKR
The whole brace height thing is a none issue. It gets in people’s heads and they can’t shake it. Proper shooting form and it don’t matter what the brace height or the ata length is.

Zac

WKR
The whole brace height thing is a none issue. It gets in people’s heads and they can’t shake it. Proper shooting form and it don’t matter what the brace height or the ata length is.
I previously thought this as well. The only issue I have with it is bulky clothing. Short braces and puffy jackets don't mix well.

Some of my favorites for a larger brace height and smooth draw:

- PSE EVO NXT - can get different ATA models if you're set on that
- Elite Energy 32/35 - Rituals seem nice too
- Bowtech Reign 7 - this is what I've settled on. The realm x / revolt x just weren't as smooth, had more vibe at the shot, and I couldn't get a torque free grip as easily.

I've also settled on that 32-34" ATA as a good balance for out west without being cumbersome in a tree stand. I have no desire for a shorter bow for whitetails.

Reactions: Zac

SoDaky

WKR
'demonstrates a ton of maturity'
You're kidding right?Talk about immaturity.Not only foolish but downright childish.Grow up.

KBC

WKR
I really like my axius ultra. It’s 70lbs and 29.5” DL. I did have to get the limbs replaced under warranty because one splintered but since then it’s been great. Some of the other bows sound easier to tune but I spent a lot of time making sure my arrows were the correct setup for the weight and DL so all I had to do for tuning was move the rest 1/64th up and maybe 1/32nd Sideways.
I use a nock-2-it and still had to put a nose button on to get my nose on the string so I wouldn’t want a steeper string angle. My old bow was a PSE decree and I was a total noob so had no idea about string angles and how far I had to lean my head in to get a decent anchor.
I only have one bow but I plan on picking up another axius ultra or an rx-4 ultra in a year or two when they are cheaper used so I have a back up that’s the same. I think unless you are an archery god, changing bows that are way different is a bad idea.

wapitibob

WKR
What’s your draw length? If you’re over about 28” you’ll never get the string to fit your face on a 30” axle bow without dropping your head or increasing the draw length.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
What’s your draw length? If you’re over about 28” you’ll never get the string to fit your face on a 30” axle bow without dropping your head or increasing the draw length.
Totally agree. Even with my 38" ATA bow, with my almost 33" draw length I still need to use a high anchor and drop my head to get the string on my nose.

V-TRAIN

WKR
I have a Revolt-X that I shoot in performance at 72#.
I also have a custom ordered PSE NXT 33 that has SE cams, with 80# limbs, that I shoot at 75#.
They are both great bows, and my PSE is about 2 fps slower than my Revolt-X shooting the same arrow.

I like the Revolt-X draw better than the Realm-X in performance, it has a hair more valley.
I like the grip better on the Bowtech compared to PSE, but the PSE is great also.
The Revolt-X has a smoother cycle than my PSE, the PSE has more of a dump into the valley, but it has a better valley than my Bowtech.

They are both shooters, and I am keeping them both.

Another bow you might want to consider is the Prime Black 3, I had one of those earlier this year.
I found a steal on a 60# and got it to play with for several months. It was a shooter, I liked that bow also.

At the end of the day, you need to get out and shoot them and decide what you like best.
They are all great bows (as are others), with small differences between them.

PennDude

FNG
I shot a LOT of bows last year while I was shopping to replace my Mathews DXT. Ultimately I ended up with a Mathews Halon 32 6. It was incredibly forgiving to shoot, very stable, and faster than lightning. After a shot time I was practicing at 80 yards with really respectable groups. I could never have done that with my DXT.

I much preferred the Halon to all of Mathews new bows. One other bow that really stood out was the Elite Ritual 33. That bow was unbelievably smooth. I think you need to go shoot as many bows as you can. After doing that, go shoot them all again, and take notes each time you shoot a new bow. As a side note, I found that the Halon 32 was faster than Bowtech's speed bows at my draw length, which is between 27.5-28".

Sled

WKR
I think I read the OP already chose 2 bows but for others reading, ATA isn't a great predictor of string angle or stability anymore. Longer risers and larger cams have skewed those numbers. Just look at mathews and how their VXR 31 comes in with a similar string angle and possibly better than most 33 ATA bows. It'd be really nice to see a standard SA measurement at 30" to correlate with the IBO measurement but maybe that would be way off too.

406unltd

WKR
No one can tell you what to shoot. Everyone has an opinion on what’s best.. The problem is it’s what’s best for them. One or two of those bows are going to standout for whatever reason, and that’s what you’ll go home with. Be picky.

V-TRAIN

WKR
I have a Revolt-X that I shoot in performance at 72#.
I also have a custom ordered PSE NXT 33 that has SE cams, with 80# limbs, that I shoot at 75#.
They are both great bows, and my PSE is about 2 fps slower than my Revolt-X shooting the same arrow.

I like the Revolt-X draw better than the Realm-X in performance, it has a hair more valley.
I like the grip better on the Bowtech compared to PSE, but the PSE is great also.
The Revolt-X has a smoother cycle than my PSE, the PSE has more of a dump into the valley, but it has a better valley than my Bowtech.

They are both shooters, and I am keeping them both.

Another bow you might want to consider is the Prime Black 3, I had one of those earlier this year.
I found a steal on a 60# and got it to play with for several months. It was a shooter, I liked that bow also.

At the end of the day, you need to get out and shoot them and decide what you like best.
They are all great bows (as are others), with small differences between them.
Actually I lied about keeping them both.
I decided I only wanted to keep 2 bows. After shooting the EVL 34 and my Revolt-X a bunch, decided to sell my PSE, and keep both of my Revolt-X's. I shoot it better long distance, and it's a slightly smaller platform. I really think it's the grip, the Bowtech just fits better, but I have small hands.