Which Zebra light do I want???

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
If you go the AA route, I would recomend picking up some Eneloop Pro batteries and a charger. They will maintain 80% of their charge after a year of storage. An alkaline battery does store a little more power, but the Eneloop gives a better discharge profile and does not cause corrosion if it leaks. After having over $400 in gear destroyed by leaky alkaline batteries I have stopped using them in anything other than toys.

I'm going to be a nerd for a moment as having an AA backup headlamp would be nice due to ease of getting batteries. Such as, if there was a massive earthquake that nocked things into the dirt I'm sure AA's would be brought in by aid agencies, but if you cannot charge the 18650 I'm willing to bet one would be out of luck.

Lithium AA's will give you the most energy storage, are lightest, and don't cause corrosion. The down side is price.

On high output, you will get longer run times out of the ostensibly lower capacity Eneloops. In the low power modes you can take full advantage of the alkalines capacity.

Power wise, the mAh ratings of a good AA lithium and an 18650 are about the same. However, this does not give equal run times. As an example:
-AA Eneloop Pro (2550 mAh) is listed as giving 13 days of run time at 1.0 Lm
-18650 (max capacity of 3500 mAh, which I will assume Zebralight tested with) gives 2 months of output at 1.06 Lm.
-AA Eneloop Pro give a max output of 285 Lm for 0.9 hours.
-18650 gives a max output of 1616 Lm for 2.5 hours. and 305 Lm for 5.3 hours.

Clearly both work, I remember thinking that a 60 Lm Surefire was bright before LEDs.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
I went through the analysis this summer and settled on the H600c Mk IV. The choices were so numerous and process so complicated (not helped by their website, but helped by RS members) that I can’t tell you how I came to that decision. In fact, I had to visit their site to remind myself which model I bought, and I’ve had on my “to do” list to read (again) the instruction manual.

I do love it though!

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I like the std beam. For my use I prefer some throw so I can see off in the distance to keep my bearings, I can't do that with a floody. If I had a floody I'd have to carry something with a long throw. I like the neutral white with high CRI.

This is my choice:

I just ordered this, if I like it I’ll get another with the floody beam. Now I need to look into battery charging options.

twall13

WKR
A couple things that I haven't seen mentioned yet. When you get the Zebralight, take the time to learn the programming. One button to use for everything but a long press vs. double tap, vs. 4 taps, all have different functions. Once I learned the programming I haven't found another light that works as well for my uses. Fenix makes good lights as well but I much prefer the programming/operation of the Zebras.

I prefer the standard beam for backcountry use if there is any chance I'll be hiking in the dark. If the only time I'll use the lamp is in camp, I like the floody beam better. Also, their red lights are legit. They put out enough light to actually help you see, where most red lamps I've used are barely enough light to see 2 feet away.

I've also been really impressed with the 18650 battery platform. It lasts a really long time with normal use. So much so that I've stopped carrying a backup battery on hunts. I still have a Petzl E+Lite as a backup just in case but I've yet to run the battery out of the 18650 on a hunt.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
It hasn’t arrived yet (it was back ordered afterall) just checking in, I’ll report my feelings when it gets here.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I got it today, it’s pretty slick, very bright and the strobe signal is cool too, I could see that being useful maybe.

I’m going to order another one with the floody beam.

Rokwiia

WKR
I was conflicted which one to get and I went with the H53Fc. It is a floody and the beam pattern is diffused so there is no spot in the center. I like that much better for a headlamp.

I may also get their H600Fc headlamp. The run times with the 18650 platform is incredible. If I had to choose only one I'd probably go the H600Fc. Bring a spare battery or two and you're good to go for a long time away from civilization.

I'm ready to step up my headlamp game, thinking the zebras are pretty cool. I'm confused though. Can somebody explain these to me, the light beam, type of light etc???

Also, Id probably prefer one of the AA battery models since its easier to get batteries for them.

Search zebralight and my username for a ton of info on Zebralights, batteries, and flashlights in general.

What is your planned use? Flood is great for working on stuff in camp. Floody is good all around. Narrow beam is best if scanning the area at night.

Any of their high CRI 18650 lights with the beam of your choice will be fantastic. If you like white light, get a "cool'" tiny (aka 5000k, cool white). If you like a warmer light (more candle tinted), go for warm 4000K.

BATTERIES: Several online retailers specialize in the top 4-5 battery types (Panasonic, Sony, Samsung, LG). Unprotected cells are $5 - $6. You don't want or need protected cells for Zebralights, though their headlamps will accept the longer length if you already have protected cells.

Last edited:
OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"

Search zebralight and my username for a ton of info on Zebralights, batteries, and flashlights in general.

What is your planned use? Flood is great for working on stuff in camp. Floody is good all around. Narrow beam is best if scanning the area at night.

Any of their high CRI 18650 lights with the beam of your choice will be fantastic. If you like white light, get a "cool'" tiny (aka 5000k, cool white). If you like a warmer light (more candle tinted), go for warm 4000K.

BATTERIES: Several online retailers specialize in the top 4-5 battery types (Panasonic, Sony, Samsung, LG). Unprotected cells are $5 - $6. You don't want or need protected cells for Zebralights, though their headlamps will accept the longer length if you already have protected cells.

I got 2 zebra lights, one is a floods and one is not. Both are pretty nice, I was working on my buddies snow machine out in the middle of nowhere the other evening and I was shocked how bright that light was (it was the first time I’d even turned it on.

I got 2 zebra lights, one is a floods and one is not. Both are pretty nice, I was working on my buddies snow machine out in the middle of nowhere the other evening and I was shocked how bright that light was (it was the first time I’d even turned it on.

You may also be surprised by how dim they can run (sub 1 lumens and completely programmable). Really nice for keeping your night vision.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
You may also be surprised by how dim they can run (sub 1 lumens and completely programmable). Really nice for keeping your night vision.

I was thinking of getting a couple of rechargeable batteries and a charger from nitrcore. What do you think of those?

Squirrels

WKR

Actually the zebra lights now won’t accept the protected batteries I’ve tried. They are to long.

I was thinking of getting a couple of rechargeable batteries and a charger from nitrcore. What do you think of those?
I would buy 3-4 unprotected for the same price. Protected batteries not required for Zebralight.

Not a fan of onboard charger. Makes battery too long and adds unnecessary complexity. May be too long to fit properly.

Carry a tiny Olight UC magnetic charger and charge any rechargeable battery when away from home. $10.

61SiqiUadkL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I would buy 3-4 unprotected for the same price. Protected batteries not required for Zebralight.

Not a fan of onboard charger. Makes battery too long and adds unnecessary complexity. May be too long to fit properly.

Carry a tiny Olight UC magnetic charger and charge any rechargeable battery when away from home. $10.

View attachment 256232

Ok thanks, that’s awesome, I’ll go that route then for sure.