Whidbey Island Blacktail

Thehoss08

FNG
Anyone ever hunt Blacktails on Whidbey island? My assumption is based on the pressure and thickness of the woods, it’d be very similar to whitetail in the east. Ambush via tree stand or blind is pretty much the only option there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BK Ammenwerth

Lil-Rokslider
All the San Juan’s BT hunting is kept pretty secretive. I used to hunt one of the islands with ferry service regularly and did well. We always still hunted creeping through the woods. All I can say is have thorough understanding of property lines and if you can find an unfenced apple orchard on private near public, it’s on, tag punched.

BradNSW

FNG
Daughter lives there. Husband says there is hunting allowed on the naval air base there. Don't know if civilians can access the base/get permission. Evidently they don't like the deer on the runway...so maybe the have a way for locals to get access. If so, I bet it's pretty complicated, knowing the military (security/classified projects/firearm paranoia, micromanagement/etc).

OP
Thehoss08

Thehoss08

FNG
Yea been looking into that land. I’ve got a call into the guy in charge of it. Just waiting on a call back. It’s on my way home from work and I see deer nearly every day.

How about tactics? Mostly tree stands?

slvrslngr

WKR
Tree stands work as do blinds or just sitting. Still hunting can be productive in some areas.

Hunting on base for deer is possible IF you have base access, ie. active duty or retired military, contractors, or DOD civilian or you’re a spouse or family member of such. Joe Schmo civilian can’t just go on base and hunt deer. The pheasant release program has different rules for civilians hunting on base. If you want to hunt deer on Whidbey, find a willing land owner and hunt private or join the orange army and hunt the limited public land.

The State is looking to start paying private land owners to allow hunting in order to reduce the deer herd. Keep your eyes open on the WDFW site to see if this comes through. Hopefully they post a list of properties that signed up.