Whidden Gunworks Custom Dies

mvrk28

WKR
Is anybody using Whidden’s custom dies? I have a 280 AI being built to the traditional chamber so I’m going to have them build me a set once I get my hands on the rifle.

just curious what everybody’s experience has been with the custom die process for those that have used it.

I will probably have them make me a hydroformer as well so I don’t have to fire form 100 cases.

I’m pretty much running Whidden for everything now. They produce concentric rounds and there’s a lot of options for customizing in regards to expanders and seating stems.

I’d chose Whidden over Redding any day personally. OTM tactical has a decent price on Whidden’s and they are usually in stock

OP
M

mvrk28

WKR
Ive been debating between Whidden and Redding for my 6mm Creed. Thoughts?
In my 6.5 CM I use a Redding Type-S FL sizer and a Whidden micrometer seater. I get super concentric loaded rounds with the combo but if I did it over again I’d just buy a Whidden set with a FL bushing die.

Mark86

Lil-Rokslider
I have a set for a 280 Sherman they’re really nice. That being said...if there were anything else available in that cartridge I’d save the $

cjl2010

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve got 2 sets, 6.5 creedmoor and 6.5SS. No issues with either.

Not sure why you want to use a hydro die rather than just fire forming?

codym

WKR
My experience isn't complete with them yet. I ordered a FL Bushing set for my 300 PRC. On the 3rd firing my ADG brass wasn't getting the web of the case sized back enough and they would stick in the chamber. This is becoming a known issue with their die and the ADG 300 PRC brass. I sent them 3 or 4 pieces of brass and the old sizer and they are making me a custom die. Sent it in back in June and still waiting, I know the lead time is pretty long. I got a Redding standard FL die and it has been successful getting the brass back into spec. I'm waiting to make a judgment on Whidden dies until I receive the custom die back. I will say right now Forster FL dies using a mandrel to set inside neck tension with Redding Mic seaters are my favorite combo .

bradb

WKR
I had a custom made from my fired brass for my 300norma, as chamber is slightly different then samii. I like the die a lot, it does what it's supposed to very well

OP
M

mvrk28

WKR
Not sure why you want to use a hydro die rather than just fire forming?

Don't feel like sending 100 rounds down the pipe for no reason, hydroforming is also said to result in fewer split shoulders and more consistent brass. I haven't done it so I can't confirm but I've been reading a bunch and I think it looks appealing.

cjl2010

Lil-Rokslider
Don't feel like sending 100 rounds down the pipe for no reason, hydroforming is also said to result in fewer split shoulders and more consistent brass. I haven't done it so I can't confirm but I've been reading a bunch and I think it looks appealing.
Right on. I won’t start load development until I have at least 100 rounds on the barrel. It’s only for no reason if you make it for no reason. Fire forming is made for offhand shooting out to 300 yards! Not many practice that anymore.

Hydro forming gets you to about 80% or so?