Whisker Biscuit wear and tear aka longevity

20210313_160450.jpgI have been trouble with my consistency with my groups with my heavier arrow set up (510 total grains) out of my old 06 PSE Fire Flite (60lb 29 inch draw). I thought about replacing my rest, I even bought a Trophy Ridge one. But upon looking at it again I don't think this is affecting my arrow flight. For those out there who know more than I, what's the life on a whisker biscuit and when should they be switched out?
Side note question; can one run 4 fletch or an off set or helical vane set up through a Whisker biscuit?

Forrest

Zac

WKR
You should definitely change that one. You can get away with a very slight offset. 4 fletch is fine as well. Best option is to upgrade your rest. Hamskea has their entry level Primer rest at a very reasonable price.

OP
ForrestGuy82
Thanks everyone for their input. I bought a $35 Trophy Ridge biscuit. Probably had that one on for at least 5 years if not more. I was thinking of a good drop away and even a true left hand sight but will probably wait until I get a new bow in a year or two for the major upgrades in the rest and quiver, etc...

Hunt_UP

FNG
Just a thought, but why wait to swap out the rest? You can always move the rest of any accessory to the next bow.... investing in a good rest, a good sight and good accessories are an investment that you can keep for many years....put 75-100 into a decent rest now and it also helps keep the investment into the new bow a little less painful when you do upgrade.. 7 years in a bow shop and I constantly saw guys have to cut corners on accessories to keep a complete setup within their budgets. Spread it out over time and it’s a little less painful. Plus now is a great time to score some great deals. Check out Lancaster Archery’s clearance, they usually have some great deals

OP
ForrestGuy82
Just a thought, but why wait to swap out the rest? You can always move the rest of any accessory to the next bow.... investing in a good rest, a good sight and good accessories are an investment that you can keep for many years....put 75-100 into a decent rest now and it also helps keep the investment into the new bow a little less painful when you do upgrade.. 7 years in a bow shop and I constantly saw guys have to cut corners on accessories to keep a complete setup within their budgets. Spread it out over time and it’s a little less painful. Plus now is a great time to score some great deals. Check out Lancaster Archery’s clearance, they usually have some great deals
That has crossed my mind, but I didn't know how much of a pain that would be. But that's what a bow tech is for. I do plan on keeping my current 2006 PSE as a backup when I finally am able to get a new bow. I have thought about getting a true lefthanded sight from Black Gold. The one that I have now is ambidextrous but I have run out of adjustment vertically and horizontally. I also need to replace my noisy quiver. Thanks for your thoughts

Hunt_UP

FNG
That has crossed my mind, but I didn't know how much of a pain that would be. But that's what a bow tech is for. I do plan on keeping my current 2006 PSE as a backup when I finally am able to get a new bow. I have thought about getting a true lefthanded sight from Black Gold. The one that I have now is ambidextrous but I have run out of adjustment vertically and horizontally. I also need to replace my noisy quiver. Thanks for your thoughts
If your out of room on the sight for both windage and elevation, getting a left hand sight won’t fix that. I would guess your bow needs to be tuned. Left hand and right hand sights will have the same adjustability; the only major difference is the bubble level will be on the bottom Vs the top. If you go to a slider sight you will gain vertical adjustment, but it won’t help your windage. FYI I picked up a black gold off Amazon this last year, the 5 pin fixed for around 170 brand new, everyone else was 220-240.. keep an eye out and you may find a deal on there too. Swapping rests is not hard, 1 screw and a few adjustments. Most shops if you buy a new bow will mount an accessory off you old bow free of charge or for very minimal cost.

You can buy a drop away for $40-60, like an NAP apache. I had one and it worked great. Or find a used QAD. At this point, there is zero reason to use a whisker anymore.

OP
ForrestGuy82
20210321_084106.jpg
My bow looks like this. Would I go for a cable/string driven rest or a limb driven rest? I know that the majority of the bows today have a longer riser and shorter more parallel limbs.

Thanks everyone for their input. I bought a $35 Trophy Ridge biscuit. Probably had that one on for at least 5 years if not more. I was thinking of a good drop away and even a true left hand sight but will probably wait until I get a new bow in a year or two for the major upgrades in the rest and quiver, etc...
just get a new biscuit. i haven't used one in a few years, but i killed a lot of stuff shooting WB's, there is nothing wrong with them at all, they tune and shoot as well as any of my fall away rests. i still think they are a great hunting rest, a lot of critters would agree with me. i encountered one bull a few years ago who got to live a couple extra years because i had a fall away on my bow our first encounter, haha

brimow

Lil-Rokslider
View attachment 273489I have been trouble with my consistency with my groups with my heavier arrow set up (510 total grains) out of my old 06 PSE Fire Flite (60lb 29 inch draw). I thought about replacing my rest, I even bought a Trophy Ridge one. But upon looking at it again I don't think this is affecting my arrow flight. For those out there who know more than I, what's the life on a whisker biscuit and when should they be switched out?
Side note question; can one run 4 fletch or an off set or helical vane set up through a Whisker biscuit?

Forrest
I am assuming that you know they do sell just the replacement whisker portion of that rest correct? They are like $20. I replace them every couple years depending on the amount I am shooting. I have used a WB for over 20 years and they have worked great. I also shoot a 500+ grain arrow at 285fps. That rest is actually not that ate up yet. The black bristles look to be in good shape and I actually feel it takes some working in of the brown bristles to get things to settle in correctly.

If you are having consistency problems have you looked at your arrow spine after jumping up in weight? I am also making assumption that you added most of the weight up front. This can cause spine issues which can lead to inconsistency.

OP
ForrestGuy82
Thanks everyone who lent their experience and opinion on my question at hand. After much debate I bought a Hamskea Primer rest and returned the Trophy Ridge whisker biscuit to Walmart. After order a True lefthanded sight from Black Gold called the Widow Maker 5 pin I had $75 in GoHunt Insider points and got the cable driven drop away rest from Hamskea for $55.
Now to wait for them and install them and see how she shoots.

Hunt_UP

FNG
Congrats and great decisions! I went black gold last year and wished I had done it sooner.

Looks like you already made your decision but my advice would have been to stick with the whisker biscuit. I shot one for years and switched to a qad last year. I have not noticed any accuracy improvement at all going to the qad drop away. I still have a biscuit on my backup bow and feel it shoots slightly better groups than my primary bow. I might be selling the qad in the classifieds soon. Also - I shot full helical feathers through the whisker biscuit for about 6 years on my primary setup and still shoot helical through the whisker biscuit on my arrows for the back up bow...