White Duck Outdoors

Superdoo

WKR
I'm wrapping up a bunch of research into all the sellers/ manufacturers on these. I can tell you that there is only one manufacturer in the USA and the rest all come from China. It does appear that White Duck sources their tents independently as their designs are slightly different than the others. The rest of the companies with fancy websites and USA addresses are importing the same stuff from AliExpress/ Amazon and slapping a $400 markup on them.

Superdoo

WKR
Who is the US manufacturer?
Denver Tent.

5 times more money than a Chinese tent. I'd love to support them, but I don't plan on using it enough to make the difference up.

EcoastDG

FNG
Good thread, as I'm considering a bell-style tent. Thanks.

Few questions of those running them:
  • Would you consider using one for car camping if you were moving camp every day or every few days?--e.g. is setup straightforward enough for that application or would it be a pain in the ass?
  • How much space do they take up when packed?
  • How hard are they to pack up neatly?
We're now a family of 3 + large dog. A toddler + dog + Mr Buddy in a 6-man dome is a recipe for disaster or at least me being institutionalized by the end of a weekend. My ice fishing hub-shelter is okay in cold weather but gets hot summers. So I'm looking for something with more space, and I like the idea of canvas for sleeping cooler in the summers and drier in the winters. Bells look like they'd check a lot of boxes for us, except perhaps when it comes to moving camp every day on roadtrips. Would like to hear input from you/others.
My son and I spent 8 nights in one in Montana for Spring bear. With his help, we could get the tent up/down about 10 minutes especially if the ground is on the soft side. Most of the time is taken up hammering stakes and tightening lines. I was laughing at one point because it took us less time than it took me to put up a SG 2P.
I can’t say enough good things about mine.

Superdoo

WKR
My son and I spent 8 nights in one in Montana for Spring bear. With his help, we could get the tent up/down about 10 minutes especially if the ground is on the soft side. Most of the time is taken up hammering stakes and tightening lines. I was laughing at one point because it took us less time than it took me to put up a SG 2P.
What size and brand was it?

dutch_henry

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the feedback. Great to hear.

Last edited:
Anyone using a White Duck springbar tent? I was looking at a Kodiak but after reading about the horrible customer service the last few years I am looking at White Duck and Springbar.

OP
RockinRam96
Anyone using a White Duck springbar tent? I was looking at a Kodiak but after reading about the horrible customer service the last few years I am looking at White Duck and Springbar.

I have 0 experience with the Springbar tents, but looking at them and watching a few videos, I am not sure you can go wrong either way.

But I will boast about the White Duck a little bit. First, the stakes. The main floor stakes are galvanized 1/2” rebar, you’re never going to bend them. Second, the main stake loops are made out of heavy elastic rope, which really help staking the tent down and getting the base tight, which is key to proper set up. Next, the white duck has a stove jack, where the Springbar didn’t appear to. That is a deal breaker for me. Last, I got 2 cots, a stove, light gear and two German Shepherds in my White Duck comfortably.

After owning a White Duck, I am not sure I would own another canvas type tent. Unless I needed a wall tent, but that’s not necessary for what I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone have the 16.5’ Regatta? I’m thinking about buying one and looking for first hand experience.

Superdoo

WKR
If I was able to do it over again, I would have went with the Avalon model. You get a lot more for the extra cash.
That being said, I really like the bell tent. It's quick to set up, handles wind like a champ and it is super spacious!
I'm 6'2" and I can walk around 5 to 6 feet from the pole.
Setup is the reason I got it. Two poles, 11 stakes and 11 guy lines.
Here's one negative... the stove jack should be moved towards the center. It's current location works pretty well as it's off to the left side of the door and gives a ton of usable space, but you're going to want to get some guy lines for the pipe. 8 foot of stove pipe in the wind is not great.

I just used it as a cook/ hangout area for deer camp. We slept in campers, but dinners and evenings were in the bell tent. We had the stove, a 2' x 4' table, an 8' x 30" table with 5 full size chairs and 5 guys in it. There was still enough room that nobody had to move or scootch a chair when someone got up from the table.

Lil-Rokslider
Superdoo, thanks for the info. I have looked at both but not sure about the zip on/off floor plus the added weight. I do like all the windows. I understand the stove pipe issue. I have a lightweight floorless tent with a backpack stove that I use a lot but if the wind picks up or blowing good, I have to shut the stove down. I had already planned on using guy lines for which ever canvas tent I go with.

I really like the easy setup of the Regatta Bell Tent. I want something that I can setup by myself. I understand it will take longer but I want to be able to do it by myself. I want to have room for several people for the few times there will be a bigger group. I just want to be comfortable and not always bumping into each other.

Superdoo

WKR
Superdoo, thanks for the info. I have looked at both but not sure about the zip on/off floor plus the added weight. I do like all the windows. I understand the stove pipe issue. I have a lightweight floorless tent with a backpack stove that I use a lot but if the wind picks up or blowing good, I have to shut the stove down. I had already planned on using guy lines for which ever canvas tent I go with.

I really like the easy setup of the Regatta Bell Tent. I want something that I can setup by myself. I understand it will take longer but I want to be able to do it by myself. I want to have room for several people for the few times there will be a bigger group. I just want to be comfortable and not always bumping into each other.
Setup with one is super easy, just takes a bit longer to pound in the stakes. So I wouldn't worry about that.
You're right that the Avalon is heavier at 125 rather than 90 lbs. But 22 of the pounds are the poles and no one said you had to lift the tent poles and stakes in one trip. You'd also have a zip off floor, so you could sperate that too.
The Avalon gets you 36" side walls versus 30" in the Regatta, so you'll have even more head room. The Avalon has the full door opening, which doesn't sound like a big deal, but the pole on the Regatta is a little annoying.
Avalon has 10 oz duck versus 8.5. Stronger and warmer.
You touched on the windows. I had the Regatta up for a bit late this summer, it was a freaking oven with the windows and doors open. If you're using it in the warmer months, those extra windows will be worth the extra pounds. Plus because the sidewall are lager it means the windows are too.

Lil-Rokslider
Setup with one is super easy, just takes a bit longer to pound in the stakes. So I wouldn't worry about that.
You're right that the Avalon is heavier at 125 rather than 90 lbs. But 22 of the pounds are the poles and no one said you had to lift the tent poles and stakes in one trip. You'd also have a zip off floor, so you could sperate that too.
The Avalon gets you 36" side walls versus 30" in the Regatta, so you'll have even more head room. The Avalon has the full door opening, which doesn't sound like a big deal, but the pole on the Regatta is a little annoying.
Avalon has 10 oz duck versus 8.5. Stronger and warmer.
You touched on the windows. I had the Regatta up for a bit late this summer, it was a freaking oven with the windows and doors open. If you're using it in the warmer months, those extra windows will be worth the extra pounds. Plus because the sidewall are lager it means the windows are too.
Thanks, for the added info and I will look into the Avalon some more. I had found a place that I could buy the 16.5’ Regatta for a tad over $700 with free shipping which seems to be a very good deal. Heck the free shipping is a Super Saver for me since I live in Fairbanks Alaska.

I was reading somewhere, where a guy uses a portable A/C unit in his Regatta during the summertime when it was hot. I do plan on moving to MS in a couple of years when I retire and I’m planning on using the tent as a base camp for hunting/trail riding the mule’s I’m going to get.

Superdoo

WKR
Thanks, for the added info and I will look into the Avalon some more. I had found a place that I could buy the 16.5’ Regatta for a tad over $700 with free shipping which seems to be a very good deal. Heck the free shipping is a Super Saver for me since I live in Fairbanks Alaska.

I was reading somewhere, where a guy uses a portable A/C unit in his Regatta during the summertime when it was hot. I do plan on moving to MS in a couple of years when I retire and I’m planning on using the tent as a base camp for hunting/trail riding the mule’s I’m going to get.
I must have seen the same post about the AC.
The portables make a lot of sense, but damn they’re expensive!!!
I’ve been looking at modding one for the windows so I can run a wall unit.

Lil-Rokslider
I must have seen the same post about the AC.
The portables make a lot of sense, but damn they’re expensive!!!
I’ve been looking at modding one for the windows so I can run a wall unit.
It could be done fairly easy I think. I do have a portable A/C unit that I use here in Alaska.