White tail, spring turkey, and duck Hunter outer shell advice.

Hey all I'm new to the forum. So I'm not sure if this is the best place for this. I had a Cabela's jacket but it was essentially a handle down. It's got a zip off insulating layer and a heavy shell that's pretty heavy. I mostly duck and whitetail hunt in chicagoland area. I am going to sell the Cabela's jacket and go a little lighter. I got a puffer jacket but want a shell. I like higher end stuff and was thinking kuiu. I would like a good and water resistant but never having actually seen any kuiu stuff I am not sure the difference in jackets. My plan is base layer, midlayer, insulating, then shell. I do plan on going on my first Western hunt next year as well. Any thoughts?

OP
G
Ok thanks! which jacket would you recommend? their lineup is even bigger. Do I need something thick or just a thinner softshell?

Sitka Waterfowl outer shell with Goretex no doubt. Check out Camofire daily and you’ll eventually find some good deals on one.

When you say Whitetails, are you firearm or bow hunting?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Go Sitka, they make amazing waterfowl and whitetail gear.

I am a big sitka fan and own a lot of their gear, but unless you are planning to spend $$$ maybe think about first lite. While I agree sitka has some of the best if not the best whitetail gear, and I am sure their waterfowl gear is equally as good, I think their gear is sooooo specialized that it doesn’t do as good crossing over between sports. For instance, a sitka goretex waterfowl jacket is going to be top notch in the duck blind but not really great in tree stand while a first lite sanctuary jacket would arguably handle both fairly well.

if you want to go deep and spend big bucks on clothes, sitka is great. I just think a few other brands have pieces that are more versatile and better for those starting out who hunt a variety of animals.

I love FL and have a bunch for Whitetail hunting, but they don't specialize in Waterfowl.

I love FL Merino base layers and use them for almost everything all year round.

I believe FL is having a 20% off Father's Day sale this week!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

OP
G
I love FL and have a bunch for Whitetail hunting, but they don't specialize in Waterfowl.

I love FL Merino base layers and use them for almost everything all year round.

I believe FL is having a 20% off Father's Day sale this week!

Big fan of Rinella, always wanted some first lite stuff but I have heard the quality is lacking compared to the others when it comes to pants and jackets because of their prominent use of Merino wool. I was thinking kuiu. From what I have read people say First lite has best base layers, Sitka has the best rain gear and durability but is the most expensive, and kuiu has pretty good durability but cost less. I'm not really sure what to believe because I haven't actually held any of these products in my hands except some Sitka at the local Cabela's.

Jdhunttrapfish

Lil-Rokslider
Big fan of Rinella, always wanted some first lite stuff but I have heard the quality is lacking compared to the others when it comes to pants and jackets because of their prominent use of Merino wool. I was thinking kuiu. From what I have read people say First lite has best base layers, Sitka has the best rain gear and durability but is the most expensive, and kuiu has pretty good durability but cost less. I'm not really sure what to believe because I haven't actually held any of these products in my hands except some Sitka at the local Cabela's.
Firstlite makes multiple pieces without any use of merino wool, although their merino wool base layers seem to be their shining product for most, I have some and love it, sitka is known as the king of outer layers, kuiu seems like a good product but I haven't had my hands on any of it yet

OP
G
Sitka Waterfowl outer shell with Goretex no doubt. Check out Camofire daily and you’ll eventually find some good deals on one.

When you say Whitetails, are you firearm or bow hunting?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Firstlite makes multiple pieces without any use of merino wool, although their merino wool base layers seem to be their shining product for most, I have some and love it, sitka is known as the king of outer layers, kuiu seems like a good product but I haven't had my hands on any of it yet
You have any experience with their shells then? Which would you recommend for temps from 10-30 degrees? Assuming I'm already wearing a base, mid, puffer insulating. I just don't have tons of money for all this gear but decided to splurge on a jacket.

Jdhunttrapfish

Lil-Rokslider
You have any experience with their shells then? Which would you recommend for temps from 10-30 degrees? Assuming I'm already wearing a base, mid, puffer insulating. I just don't have tons of money for all this gear but decided to splurge on a jacket.
Man, it's tough to have a do all jacket, if there was one i think everyone would have one, firstlite has outer layers specifically for deer hunting that will work for duck hunting but don't have the wind or waterproofness of sitka waterfowl gear, sitka waterfowl jacket are awesome for waterfowl but are not going to be super quiet and have the features that you might want in a bowhunting jacket, sitka whitetail line is great but the color and material is not the best for waterfowl, I would say take into account what you do more duck vs deer and whichever you do more go with a jacket according to that and you'll be pretty happy, then later on if you save up some money you can buy another jacket for the other type of hunting, all the jackets from these big name companies are very species specific so that's the big drawback to just picking one jacket, as far as those temps I would say Hudson waterfowl jacket or firstlite sanctuary jacket would fit the bill

If i had to put more $ down on only one, go Waterfowl hard shell. Sitka with Goretex. Waterfowl has the coldest, nastiest, windiest, and wetest conditions. And you can be out stuck in those conditions.

With Deer hunting, you can get buy with less and camo is less important.