Whitetail/Antelope Rifle

ecsn7d

FNG
What would be your preferred setup (rifle, caliber, scope, rings, etc.) if you are purchasing and setting up a rifle to be used for whitetail in the Midwest (hunting in timber or on the edges of farm fields, mostly from a stand) and antelope in the west (spotting and stalking in open country)? Not looking to hunt larger game with this rifle (i.e. elk, moose, etc). Not looking at buying a custom rifle (factory offerings only). What qualities would folks consider important in this type of rifle?

Go 25-06. Perfect whitetail cartridge. Hits hard shoots flat. If you want to take it for antelope if recommend like a 4-16 scope. Can go with a BDC reticle (vortex) or if you’d prefer to dial I’d go Leupold CDS.
As for the rifle, get whatever fits you. 24” barrel would be best for 25-06, but you’re pretty limited in factory options for that length (weatherby vanguard). But most manufactures offer it in 22” which would also be fine (savage, tikka).

260, 308, 7-08, 6.5 creed, pick a short action and go! Now days the biggest factor is Ammo availability and cost, so probably 308 or 6.5 creed, although have come across a lot of 260 lately. 20-22” barrel, 8-9lbs total weight, something in the 3-12/15x50 range scope wise, be good to go

What would be your preferred setup (rifle, caliber, scope, rings, etc.) if you are purchasing and setting up a rifle to be used for whitetail in the Midwest (hunting in timber or on the edges of farm fields, mostly from a stand) and antelope in the west (spotting and stalking in open country)? Not looking to hunt larger game with this rifle (i.e. elk, moose, etc). Not looking at buying a custom rifle (factory offerings only). What qualities would folks consider important in this type of rifle?
This is what I put together - 6.5 PRC Christensen Arms BA Tactical with a Leupold VX6HD 4-24x52 sitting in Nightforce UL rings with an Atlas CAL Tall bipod. I have killed Antelope, Elk, Mulies, Whitetails, Black bears etc with it so far. Its a sick set up. Where I hunt Antelope in Wyoming and Idaho, there can be some serious wind - those high BC 6.5 bullets help cheat a bad wind call a little bit.

Last edited:

LightFoot

WKR
Lightweight bolt gun with s 20-22 inch barrel, since you hunt thick woods to open country. It's not hard to stretch a short barrel rifle to 400+ yards. It is hard to maneuver a long barrel in the brush.

The 25-06 is a good option. I would probably go with the 270 because it is easier to find a factory 22inch barrel and hopefully, ammo.

Browning HC Speed 270 win + Swarovski Z3 4-12x50 (or similar).

>>>----JAKE----->

Tobey

Lil-Rokslider
Been using the creed on both of those for the last 3 or 4 years, like it a lot more than I thought I would. Barrel length isn't a big deal until you start screwing cans on the end, then it's huge. The one rifle I own that is specifically for something is a 240 weatherby for deer and antelope (and sometimes Ibex). Same time zone as the 25-06 but groovier. Before that the 280 was my do everything rig.

Rat

FNG
Never shot a 280 but lately I've been thinking a lot about one. Very overlooked choice imo.
I think it's the most versatile non magnum caliber, shoots a wide variety of bullet weights. My wife and sons use mine and it's done some neat things. Antelope at 317 yards, Black bear more deer than I can count. It is a really good caliber.

OP
E

ecsn7d

FNG
I appreciate the responses so far. Keep 'em coming! I intentionally did not put a price range on the rifle setup because I was/am curious to see what qualities folks find valuable in such a setup. This would help me decide what is worth paying for.

I know this is probably over thinking it, but I am looking for a setup that has pretty decent factory ammo options, good shootability (as I would like to practice quite a bit with this gun). I strictly plan to hunt whitetail and antelope with this setup as mention earlier (don't need it to take elk or more). Equally effective in the whitetail woods as the antelope plains.

Quality rifles, scope, ammo?

Thank you all.

CA Ridgeline in 6.5 CM, Swarovski Z8i 2-16x50 (you would not be underserved with a Z5(i) 2.4-12x50 though), Talley Rings, Magpul Bipod.

If you get a CA, I highly recommend getting a longer bolt knob from The Polished Knob.

AqIfrhO.jpg

The standard CA knob is a little short, and it was hard to manipulate the bolt before I got the longer handle.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I used to do a lot of antelope hunting, I had a weatherby vanguard in 257 wby and my dad used a mkv in 240wby, we both had 4.5-14 leupolds on our rifles and Harris bipods.

Nothing fancy right now but back 15+ years ago it sure did seem like we had a couple of sniper rifles (compared to the guns we used for elk and deer).

Between the 2 of us we were stacking pronghorn bodies like it was going out of style back then. Good times.

HillDogAU

FNG
hey, it screams 25-06 sorta country and even the 270 winchester! supreme 300m even 400m no brainer cartridges... 24 inch min tube..
4-12 dial scope, nice stout accubond.. saweet huntin

MtnW

Lil-Rokslider
A .270 Winchester , 7MM/08, 30.06 would all be top choices with great ammo selections during normal times.
Sako, Win Mod70, Tikka,Weatherby,Kimber in new rifles. I would research warranties on accuracy guarantees so you don’t end up with a lemon. A Leupold 2.5-8x36 or 3.5-10x40 . Talley Steel rings and bases look nice and are pretty much bomb proof .
For the type of hunting you will be doing you don’t need a lightweight mountain rifle. I would try to find a rifle/scope combination around 8lbs which should handle well for all uses.
Have fun in your selection.