Whitetail/Antelope Rifle

Rich M

WKR
If you are set on 1 gun, IMO, your best options are 6 CM and 6.5 CM. Ammo is often available due to the popularity. Both shoot those special long range bullets iffn you want to do that. Both are more than adequate for deer and antelope.

Get a tikka or Browning rifle and call it done.

Put a decent 2.5-10 x 40/42/44 scope in there and call it done. If you aren't needing to shoot in the dark, anything north of a Vortex Diamondback will do you well.

OP
E

ecsn7d

FNG
If you are set on 1 gun, IMO, your best options are 6 CM and 6.5 CM. Ammo is often available due to the popularity. Both shoot those special long range bullets iffn you want to do that. Both are more than adequate for deer and antelope.

Get a tikka or Browning rifle and call it done.

Put a decent 2.5-10 x 40/42/44 scope in there and call it done. If you aren't needing to shoot in the dark, anything north of a Vortex Diamondback will do you well.
Thanks man. What is consider a “decent” 2.5-10 scope?

Rich M

WKR
Personally I have a Bushnell banner, Leica er, vx2, Vortex viper, and diamondback scopes for hunting. None have let me down. Leica will work in the dark, the others not as much.

If this is gonna be a special rifle, look at the Meopta or Zeiss scopes. The viper scopes have nice glass but light reticle. Leupold vx3i is an okay scope. Diamondback if you need to go on the cheap.

Laramie

WKR
The current ammo shortage shouldn't make this decision for you. Ammo will be available sooner than most realize. Factories are seriously ramping up production- have a close friend that works for Hornady so I get to hear updates all the time.

I agree with many previous posts- 25-06 is a great round and ammo will be available for it as long as ammo is sold. 6.5CM would also be an excellent option. If you are really into longer range, consider the 6.5 PRC. In reality, anything .243 and up will work fine.

Find a rifle that feels good to you. Spend as much on the glass as you do the rifle and you won't ever feel the need to change it.

OP
E

ecsn7d

FNG
The current ammo shortage shouldn't make this decision for you. Ammo will be available sooner than most realize. Factories are seriously ramping up production- have a close friend that works for Hornady so I get to hear updates all the time.

I agree with many previous posts- 25-06 is a great round and ammo will be available for it as long as ammo is sold. 6.5CM would also be an excellent option. If you are really into longer range, consider the 6.5 PRC. In reality, anything .243 and up will work fine.

Find a rifle that feels good to you. Spend as much on the glass as you do the rifle and you won't ever feel the need to change it.
What do you like for glass?

Cannonball

Lil-Rokslider
i recently got a Tikka T3x lite veil wideland in .270win and Swaro Z5 3.5-18x44 to use for deer/speedgoat and am contemplating using it for a cow elk hunt this year

I picked up a Tikka T3x sl in 308 win for the exact scenario you are describing. Any of the popular commercial rounds will work just fine, pick an action you like and go get a deer with it.

Whitetail in timber is very different than antelope on the plains. I would be more focused on how the rifle was setup than caliber. Here is my thinking.

Most of your shots in timber in Indiana are probably going to be under 100 yards. 20 yard shots are not uncommon. Whitetail moving through the brush/timber can be difficult to pick up in a scope especially if they are spooked. A narrow field of view with your optics, especially if the deer are close and moving at a decent clip, is going to be a serious handicap. Low light conditions in timber are common. A bright scope for over cast skies and low light conditions, with a wide field of view is recommended. A wide field of view comes with low magnification. I prefer a 2x or 3x depending on the brand and scope model. The rifle will need to handle quickly. Longer barrels and longer guns in general are a hindrance. Shorter barrels and shorter gun length is ideal for such circumstances. Shorter guns handle quicker.

If you are shooting at distance across a field in Indiana or antelope out on the plains, a greater magnification may be desired. A variable scope will serve well. 9x is more than enough. When you start to get into variable scopes with greater magnification, you tend to lose your field of view at the lower magnifications. In general, a 3x9 will have a larger field of view at 3x than a similar 3x12 at 3x. In open country, low light conditions and a wide field of view are not as much a concern.

It is easier to shoot longer barrel rifles more accurately at longer ranges, plus they are able to produce more velocity from your rounds. Unless you are shooting at very long ranges, or high velocity magnums, neither of which are necessary for your situation, the differences between a shorter and longer barrel are negligible from a hunting perspective. You won’t notice much difference in velocity, trajectory or energy. A bolt action rifle with a 22 inch barrel should serve you well for both antelope in open country and deer in the timber.

Pick an accurate rifle that you can shoot well and handles well. One you have a lot of affinity for that puts a big smile on your face. Put quality optics on it and have fun. Don’t over think it.

Cargun

FNG
6.5 creedmoor or 270. Low cost ammo with a huge variety of loads. If buying bulk plinking ammo is a priority, creedmoor. Honorable mention to 308. Other calibers will do the same thing with increased cost or decreased selection of factory ammo.

Target 7.5 lbs for gun and scope if hiking, towards 8.5 lbs if mostly stand hunting.

Ruger American is a great entry level rifle, you can spend more if you want to, but it won't impact your ability to get game. Browning xbolt is my preference. Great stock ergos, accurate, great removable magazine, tang safety, tons of options for caliber, stock material, and metal finish.

2-7x scope is perfect, maybe 3-9 as they're more common. I've been happy with the VX freedoms I recently bought. Fullfield II is another option, but had a bad one on a 300wm. Not sure if the NIB scope was bad or the 300 killed it. My other scope recommendations are either discontinued or lot more money. Zeiss Conquest, VX2, VX5 2-10 or 3-15, Zeiss V4 4-16, Z5 2.5-12. Haven't seen any difference in my ability to harvest game with a Redfield 2-7 vs the V4 or Z5.

Most important part of the mounts is making sure the scope isn't bound up. 1 piece DNZ make the initial setup just a little bit easier and haven't had to lap a set yet. Lightweight too. Usually a low height, maybe medium on a rifle with a higher comb like a kimber.

TN2shot07

WKR
It’d be hard to beat a 25-06 or 270 for what you’re after. Depending on weight/price preference I’d either go with a Howa (heavier/cheaper) or a Tikka (lighter/more expensive). The Howas do come with a shorter barrel but I have one in 25-06 and haven’t had any issues. Top it with a Leupold 2-10 and you’re in business (VX-3HD or VX-5).

It’d be hard to beat a 25-06 or 270 for what you’re after. Depending on weight/price preference I’d either go with a Howa (heavier/cheaper) or a Tikka (lighter/more expensive). The Howas do come with a shorter barrel but I have one in 25-06 and haven’t had any issues. Top it with a Leupold 2-10 and you’re in business (VX-3HD or VX-5).
What bullet have you been shooting out of your 25-06? And how have the results been on game?

TN2shot07

WKR
Depends on the rifle, could be a coincidence or could be luck but any deer that I’ve hit with a 25-06 hasn’t made it out of sight. I won’t blame the rifle if I miss... Also, I’m a believer in heart/lung shots. If you want to shoot them through the shoulders you better use copper or expect meat loss.
Howa - Hornady American 117 grain interlocks
Ruger M77 - Federal Premium 115 grain partitions
Remington 700 - Nosler Trophy Grade 100 grain partitions

What would be your preferred setup (rifle, caliber, scope, rings, etc.) if you are purchasing and setting up a rifle to be used for whitetail in the Midwest (hunting in timber or on the edges of farm fields, mostly from a stand) and antelope in the west (spotting and stalking in open country)? Not looking to hunt larger game with this rifle (i.e. elk, moose, etc). Not looking at buying a custom rifle (factory offerings only). What qualities would folks consider important in this type of rifle?
For your hunting needs I would suggest a lightweight rifle with a barrel length in the 20-22" range. I live in CO and hunt several adjoining states for muleys, whitetails, and antelope. My weapon of choice is a Tikka T3x in .270 (I also like the 6.5 CM). I would go with the best scope you can afford in the 3-10 or 4-12×40 magnification range. If you go too big with your scope it kinda kills the balance and maneuverability of the setup, especially for spot and stalking antelope and muleys.