Whitetail calls

ofl0926

WKR
Morning everyone. Hope everyone is doing well.
So I am heading to northern MO for rifle opener this year to hunt whitetail. That time is usually pre rut or the rut is in effect. What calls have you guys used that actually work. Two that i have researched are Primos the can the the extinguisher.
Any other recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Outlaw99

WKR
Promos hardwood grunt, and that’s it IMO. Best sounding tube I’ve used. I remember playing with the “can” when they first came out. It will call every curious yearling in sight! I’ve also seen more mature does and bucks blow n go at light speed after hearing it

KSP277

WKR
From what I’ve seen, when the time is right and you can grunt em up or rattle em in the call it’s self doesn’t make much difference as long as it halfway sounds like a deer. Any ole grunt tube on the shelf will work. Leave the can at home. I’ve had better luck grunting at deer I could see that were way outta range than I have calling blind. But I’m in pretty open farm country, not in big woods. Last week October first week November it can put one at the bottom of your tree. It amazes me how well they can pin point where a sound came from.

adamm88

WKR
one thing i have noticed is if i use a grunt tube that is out of the norm it works better, Every walmart carrys primos and a ton of people carry there calls but i feel when a deer hears a can call or grunt call from them then relate it to humans, Thats just me, i do cary a can but iv had much better results with other companies that are a little different. I bought a rocky mountain specialty gear from a small outdoor shop and it works great, just enough differnt sounding to make a differnce. There is a ton of call companies out there.

OP
ofl0926

ofl0926

WKR
one thing i have noticed is if i use a grunt tube that is out of the norm it works better, Every walmart carrys primos and a ton of people carry there calls but i feel when a deer hears a can call or grunt call from them then relate it to humans, Thats just me, i do cary a can but iv had much better results with other companies that are a little different. I bought a rocky mountain specialty gear from a small outdoor shop and it works great, just enough differnt sounding to make a differnce. There is a ton of call companies out there.

I never thought of it that way. Unfortunately where I live(south Florida), the only sporting good stores are dicks and stuff. No mom and pop shops. I do all my hunting by traveling. I really wish it wasn’t that way but hey I get to travel and meet kick ass ppl.
One time I traveled for a bow hunt. Prior to traveling, I took my bow to shop in miami to replace the strings and they screwed all up. Didn’t know what the hell they were doing. So I called a bow shop in the city where I was traveling too and they hooked me up right. Got my bow in tune and setup properly.

I’ll do some more searching online.

adamm88

WKR
I never thought of it that way. Unfortunately where I live(south Florida), the only sporting good stores are dicks and stuff. No mom and pop shops. I do all my hunting by traveling. I really wish it wasn’t that way but hey I get to travel and meet kick ass ppl.
One time I traveled for a bow hunt. Prior to traveling, I took my bow to shop in miami to replace the strings and they screwed all up. Didn’t know what the hell they were doing. So I called a bow shop in the city where I was traveling too and they hooked me up right. Got my bow in tune and setup properly.

I’ll do some more searching online.

Some places to look up for different calls, Wood haven custom calls, fox pro has a new grunt call(I cant find any videos of it yet), Phleps game calls is supposed to have deer calls soon too.

OP
ofl0926

ofl0926

WKR
Some places to look up for different calls, Wood haven custom calls, fox pro has a new grunt call(I cant find any videos of it yet), Phleps game calls is supposed to have deer calls soon too.

thanks for the assistance. i will def look into them.

Whitetaildown215

Lil-Rokslider
I usually call and rattle most of my deer in. The best luck I have had with grunting has come from 2 different calls. 1 is the extinguisher that you were looking at and the other is a cheap Walmart call by cedar hill I believe. Neither of them take much air to blow. I've had some that have taken quite a bit more air. It's more about timing in my opinion. Here in SW MO I find it's the 1st week of November when they really start responding to calls, but this is just my opinion.

Stilpr

Lil-Rokslider
Check out the Quaker boy brawler. I love that call. Very versatile, allows for some inflection

Studd muffin

Lil-Rokslider
I have used grunt calls in the past with success. But what rattle calls do you use? I've used some sheds before, but looking for something smaller and easier to carry in the woods and use in a stand. I appreciate the help.

Cgeb

WKR
I use the extinguisher, I like it a lot. You can adjust tone/volume to mimic buck, doe, fawn, etc.

Anyhow I think I sound great, not sure what the deer think of it. I think if you in the rut they probably work well, outside the rut, not sure how effective they are.

The Primos Buck Roar is a go to for me with a snort wheeze and bleat all in one it is an aggressive call

Wiscohunter

Lil-Rokslider
The Primos Buck Roar is a go to for me with a snort wheeze and bleat all in one it is an aggressive call

X2, great call. Loud enough to get their attention.

duel calls have worked for me i have the stretchback i use for buck grunts then the double back i use for either fawn estrus and doe bleats.

Any grunt tube will work. Ive had mature bucks make soft sounding grunts and had year old bucks sound loud and rough.
Grunting is all about timing and volume...blind grunting can work but I prefer to not give a deer a reason to look around. If he is just outside of range and cruising that is the perfect time to grunt...

Rattling antlers though...you need to have either a real set of 3yr old sheds or those real looking antlers. You need to be able to get volume out of rattling...start slow and low and then turn it up after 30 seconds...look around a ton and get ready they come in fast to rattling.

The most important thing to consider if you are going to be calling is your location. If you are in giant mature woods with little to no undergrowth or brush...be careful...calling can actually hurt you because they will be looking for a deer. If you want to call make sure you have tons of cover that your "fake" buck/bucks can hide in...or elevation breaks that a buck could be on the other side of etc.

Oh...and don't use the cans...they are worthless for mature bucks.

SoDaky

WKR
Lotsa ones that work but if ever can find an old Rob Benson wood one,buy it.Still a few floating around-particularly in N Wisconsin.

bsnedeker

WKR
I second the extinguisher... one call to do it all!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk