Whitetail/elk pack

Creed28

FNG
Looking for recommendations on a backpack to use on both species. For whitetail I primarily hunt from a tree stand, so would like a pack that u can climb ladder sticks an hang up, plus easy to get into, if u need to get stuff out of pack, such as rain coat.

aion2come

WKR
What kind of elk hunt? Basecamp? Spike Camp? Bivy? If you do a basecamp, just get a Badlands 2200. If you are doing spike camp or a bivy camp, consider the better packs. I personally use an Exo for whitetail, and then let my brother use it for our elk hunts.

md126

WKR
I have an Exo 3500 I bought for an elk hunt and it’s a phenomenal pack. It heavy duty but can be used pretty effectively as a day pack and I even used it as my carry on when I flew.

That being said it’s way more pack than I need for tree stand hunting for whitetail but I’d rather have too much pack than not enough.

aion2come

WKR
I ran the 5500. If you are doing all three, the Exo is a great pack. It is light, comfortable, will haul a load ... and then will compress down as small as you want for day hunting or whitetail hunting. The other nice thing is you can get the frame, and then get a large bag and a small bag and just swap them out, based on what you are doing.

ofl0926

WKR
This last year I used the eastern ruck on a whitetail hunt. I would pick in my bids and change when I got into the stand. More than enough room for everything I carried and then some. You could also attach this bag to frame from Kifaru.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cnelk

WKR
I have a Kuiu Icon Pro 1850 that I use for all my hunting - elk, MD,WT

Here it is loaded with 4 quarters of a Nebraska WT

For me it’s perfect- ymmv 226E2DC0-52E8-46B1-B1AA-8F9C7DFD89B9.jpeg

I’ve also got a Kuiu setup. I take the bag off the frame and attach the frame to my stand platform (xop hand climber). I can get a quartered deer and all my gear out in one trip if i kill one deep on public. And it’s so much easier and more comfortable to haul my stand in so I can move slow and quiet. You can probably do the same with any good frame but Kuiu has my vote—just make sure you get the correct sized frame

Tsarbomba

Lil-Rokslider
In same boat sorta. Have a bunch of 2000-3300ci bags, but im going with a 6500-8000 kifaru bag for elk. Lots of choices, def overwhelming

I use an exo k2 pack frame. I have the 3500 bag with lid, 2000 bag, horn hauler and the crib panel. I mainly use the 2000 with the lid. Makes a good day pack and stand pack. I prefer the access on the 2000. Makes a good stand pack. Has more pockets than the 3500 and I normally use the lid with it. Even with just the 2000 bag if you need more room you can slip a dry bag or stuff sack between the bag and frame and carry whatever you would need.

I own both Kuiu and Kifaru frames and like them both immensely. I would give the nod to Kifaru for the better all around pack because it carries weight better for me. Its just more comfortable. With that said, I would be happy with the Kuiu if that's all I had. I do think the Kuiu system is easier to hook the stand to the frame tightly though. Due to having bottom compression built in on the 1850 kit I use and the contour of the frame sheet. IT's just easier for me to get it tight. We aren't talking something fundamental here. I can get them both tight and snug.

With that said, any of the big makers will work well for you. If you are packing deep a stand and gear, these framed packs are a game changer in carrying it. Add in a deer with all that, you are one trip out versus getting your gear out then having to come back for the animal.

OP
C

Creed28

FNG
Thanks everyone who replied, I appreciate the comments. I’m gonna just wait an see if I draw a tag for Kansas, then make my purchase on a pack