Whitetail guy needs advice on best boots for elk hunting?

KT@QC

FNG
I'm primarily a midwest and eastern canada whitetail hunter used to wearing rubber boots. Thinking about organizing a DIY elk hunt and have questions about the best footwear and where to get it? I'd appreciate any input.

I’m from Indiana. Been elk hunting since 2007. I have worn everything from danners to schnees. I like the schnees timberline and beartooth un-insulated. The danner canadians are good boots for working outside but don’t have the support for hiking all day.

prm

WKR
My recommendation is to purchase a couple different brands to try the fits. The following are all excellent elk hunting boots I’ve used. The best for you will be determined by what fits you the best.
Crispi Guide GTX
Crispi Colorado
Salomon Quest 4d

I currently have Hanwag Makra Treks that will be what I wear next season. I recently tried the Salewa Repace. The boot itself was very nice, just too narrow for me.

GoHunt has good advice about the boots they offer and I’ve always had good service with them.

OP
K

KT@QC

FNG
My recommendation is to purchase a couple different brands to try the fits. The following are all excellent elk hunting boots I’ve used. The best for you will be determined by what fits you the best.
Crispi Guide GTX
Crispi Colorado
Salomon Quest 4d

I currently have Hanwag Makra Treks that will be what I wear next season. I recently tried the Salewa Repace. The boot itself was very nice, just too narrow for me.

GoHunt has good advice about the boots they offer and I’ve always had good service with them.
Awesome. I appreciate the help.

I would stay away from danner, they are a hit and miss these days. I just bought Crispi Colorado and the summit and my brother bought the Dakota and we both love them. Had some Irish Setter trail blazer and those were a great mid class boot for under $200. Kenetrek is a great boot but $$$$$$. I have good things about Lowa, hangwag and Meindl.

Also not a danner fan for the back woods. Have several pair i use and wear for shorter endeavors but my “serious” boots are Asolo and Crispi. I have a pair of kenetreks too. All good boots but as mentioned above, fit is key.

other things to consider are where and how you will be hunting. Some folks here go far and deep. Some are a little less ambitious.

as to where to shop. I have had good luck with black ovis and buying directly from crispi. It did take one or two tries to dial in the size (I am a 12-13 extra wide) so I ordered two pair and kept the ones that fit best. If you are new to boots, consider a trip to a quality hiking store like an REI or something. They usually have people that hike and know boots and can help a lot. Even better if you can do it in a place that has stores that stock really good hunting boots like Denver or Bozeman, or their Canadian equivalent.

The things you want to in an elk boot that are similar to a whitetail boot are,
Comfort, Lightweight, Ankle support and Quality

The thing is is different is;
Stiffer sole

The main reason a stiffer sole is important is, the inclines you will be climbing.
When going downhill, your weight is on your heels and your thighs do the work.
When going uphill, your weight is on your toes and your calves do the work.
A stiffer sole takes some of the load off your toes and transfers it to your heel.
Your thighs are the biggest muscle you have and a lot stronger than your calves.

going to be really hard to pick a good boot for you... the best we can do is recommend high quality boots, fit is on you, and very important. buying a good quality boots doesn't cut it if it doesn't fit you well.

right now, the 3 boots i commonly wear (that i would consider versatile elk hunting boots) are asolo, zamberlan, and crispi. the asolo powermatics have been solid boots, but they don't fit me great. i can wear them all day, but my feet don't like long hard days in them... not the fault of the boot, they are great.

i have crispi summit and nevada... summits are the most comfortable boot i have worn, nevada are a great boot, but fit totally different.... both great boots, the summits have a bunch of miles on them and still in decent shape.... synthetic paneling has a shelf life here on the coast, thorns are going to make the goretex leak, which they do now, but they held up longer than i expected.... still going to wear them, but they are a dry weather boot now.

the zamberlans have a really good warranty on waterproofness, and i think they will hold up well. very nice boot, and probably what i keep buying in the future. their website has a really good sizing chart for each last they use, so that's a big plus if buying sight unseen.

i wear other footwear elk hunting a lot too, like asolo shivers with gaiters, they have been great and is the most breathable option. i also wore a pair of altra lone peaks a lot last year and like them too, but neither are probably the best option for most guys if buying one pair of elk hunting footwear.

i have tried a pile of boots, and most i don't like.... there is always a fit or durability issue with most. i have wore Danners a lot through the years, and they are down near the bottom of my list.... you can buy imported cheap danners that don't hold up at all, or USA Danners that are heavy and clunky, and more money than i'm willing to spend on a boot that i don't want to walk in all day.

lots of guys like kenetreks, i can't stand them.... way too stiff for my taste. i don't like really stiff boots, i actually prefer the opposite end of the spectrum. stiff boots hurt my feet, are always pretty heavy, and super loud walking in dry September conditions.... maybe they are a good option for you, but i like a lighter more flexible boot, and have no problem in any terrain with them, or hauling heavy loads.

some guys say you need a stiff boot for carrying weight or you'll get foot problems.... may be true for some, but certainly not the truth in general.... that's a big preference thing.... don't listen to anyone who says you "need" a certain type of boot, there are pros and cons across the board.

stiff boots with a heavy pack climbing or side hilling will give you better traction, like 4 wheel drive... hoping across boulders they can be sketchy vs a softer boot that forms around what you are walking on and gives you more positive contact.... the list goes on and on... either side has an argument but it boils down to what your feet like and how tough your feet and ankles are.

lots of choices, and lots of good choices, i suggest ordering a couple pairs from somewhere like blackovis where you can return them.... don't settle on boots, if they don't feel good out of the gate, send them back and keep a pair that does.... boots will break in, but only to an extent.

i can tell if a boots will work for me or not in a few short minutes walking around and going up and down some stairs.... it's not rocket science and it's not one size fits all.

Florida Bow Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Not an elk hunter, wish I was. Nothing I live more watching is bow hunting elk.

Cam Hanes has a boot in his name made by Under Armour.

I’ve never seen another guy move around lime him on the mountains chasing elk.

Plus I think he works outs and jogs in them. They look great.

I’d start there if I were to go elk hunting and then figure out what I needed to improve my comfort and effectiveness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d start there if I were to go elk hunting and then figure out what I needed to improve my comfort and effectiveness.

he's paid to wear them.... there really isn't any benefit seeking product advice from someone who is paid to promote a product.... they can't tell you the truth, their income depends on it. under armor would be way down the list for elk hunting boots.... when his boots give up after a 5 day hunt, they just give him another pair.... we don't get that option.

i think all of the under armor hunting stuff is sub par for the price compared to most other technical hunting brands.

Mudd Foot

WKR
Terrain IMO has/should have the biggest impact on boot selection. The area I hunt is central Colorado with steep, rocky, deadfall laden terrain. By steep I mean 45-50° that may go for 1500-2000 vertical feet. For my feet, I need stiffer crampon-compatible mountaineering boots. Anything where the shank is less stiff than the above, and I end end up with foot fatigue, cramping, and pain that is akin to the discomfort one feels during plantar fasciitis. Have learned the above by buying boots based on their being “elk hunting” boots. Unfortunately this is a marketing label not a definitive measurement.

So my $.02 is to first understand the terrain you’ll be experiencing, then purchase a boot that matches that terrain. Then size them appropriately. In mountaineering boots it is common to size up a full size in US fitting or 2 in Euro. If your feet blister easily, then apply multiple layers of Leuko tape on the hot spots.

Personally, my experience is that when in doubt, go stiffer.

I love the asolo full leather gortex hiking boots, have used them for 20 plus years, very comfortable, and great soles, i always use a custom Insole. They have never let me down and no blisters. Ive tried a few other big name hunting boots and these are still my favorite.

I second the Meindls also. I am an eastern Whitetail hunter and have hunted Elk three different times over the years. After my first western hunt with them in 1999 I continued to wear them and am on my fourth pair. If they fit you (and you will know the first time you put them on) they are hard to beat. They are full leather with a Goretex liner and I have not had a single leak in any of the ones I’ve owned.

Mosby

WKR

I bet he gets paid to wear Under Armor. In my experience UA does not hold up well and they do not compare with some of the leather European brands of boots that are designed for hunting. Elk hunting in the west is tough and quality boots are critical.

Mosby

WKR
I use Lowa Tibet and Zamberlain's but there are other quality boots. Find something that works with your feet. Everybody is different.

Honyock

WKR
I really like my Crispi Nevadas with Lanthrop & Sons Synergy insoles. Good ankle support and really comfortable.

NABG Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I have had very good experience with Asolo, Lowa Tibet GTX, and recently bought a pair of Schnee Granite II 200’s. Good luck.

Different strokes for different folks, but my feet like Kenetrek