Whitetail guy needs advice on best boots for elk hunting?

Altras/Hokas/Salomons.....keep it light and save your knees and back. Also depends on weather conditions but you can also get there brands in gortex if needed. REI carries them all to try on and they have a phenomenal warranty at REI.

I wouldnt buy under armour boots for elk hunting. Truck riding yes but every pair I have tried I have wrecked in a week or they are very flimsy in ankle support and not good arches.. Others have given you good options but really you have to get the boot that fits you. I have used about every kind out there except Crispi and the guys I know that have them love em. I only wear kenetreks these days. Yes they are spendy but I cant wear em out. I also use the sheepfeet insoles and I will tell you they are well worth the money they cost. My feet never bother me anymore. Whatever you buy get good support in the arches and the ankles for elk hunting.. Dont forget quality socks nothing worse than bad socks half way through the day

I’ve got a few Crispi boots and really love the Colorad’s when I’m in nasty terrain. They are stiff but not too stiff like a pure mountaineering boot. If it’s early season and average terrain I find myself going to my Solomon 4D GTX — cheap, comfortable, and have worn well for me.

I will chime in since I am in a similar boat. I am from Indiana, and just got back from my first elk hunt in CO. I took my Irish Setter VaporTreks which I had used stand hunting the past 5 years. Day 4 in CO, they were ready to go into the trash. I am looking for a boot similar to you as far as multi purpose (stand and western), and was looking for suggestions when I came across your thread. That being said, Setters will always be my go to for work and upland, just not western hunting anymore.

Tauntohawk

Lil-Rokslider
Meindl comfort hunters and hikers are worth a look and are fantastic for the money

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

CJ19

WKR
The brand name doesnt matter. Find ones that fit your feet, dont give you blisters, stay dry, and you can wear all day. For me, that is the crispi thors. Cabelas perfekt hikers lites second but dont keep the water put anymore after 5 years of tough use. Everyones feet are different so you just need to try some and get them on the trail in field conditions.

Holocene

WKR
I was in your shoes 6 years ago when I moved from South Carolina to Oregon.

Came here with Bean boots and wore them (stubbornly) for two years, even to Hells Canyon.

Landed on Crispi Wyoming GTX and Crispi Thor. The Italians make a fine hunting boot.

Experience will teach you what materials, sole stiffness, height, etc work for you. This will cost $$.

I believe in boots that fit immediately or after a wear or two. If you have to break them in, move on. They don’t fit or are made poorly. Some might disagree…

I've used Crispi's and La Sportiva, with a lot more favor towards the Sportivas. They fit like a light/supporting hiking shoe. They were great in Utah.

Following as I am in the same boat. Not much around Ohio to try on as well.
if you narrow it down, blackovis makes returning stuff easy as long as you use some common sense not getting them dirty in the process of trying them. all you need is a steep slope or stairs in a pinch to see if your toes touch walking downhill or heel rub walking uphill... a slope you can sidehill is helpful too, make sure they are sure footed on a steep sidehill, and if you have any painful pressure points sidehilling that you cannot resolve by different lacing techniques.... if you have a pair of boots that's almost there, youtube some different lacing techniques and see if that helps, it can make a big difference in boot comfort.

the lighter and more flexible, the easier it will be to find comfortable boots, but that's not the best option for many folks, some need a stiffer boot or one with more support, and boots like that are more temperamental with fit, and sizing is a lot more critical.... you can't get away with much with stiffer boots, if they are too big or too small, you WILL suffer on the mountain.

you hear a lot about break in, in my experience, if a boot sucks on your feet on day 1, don't expect breaking them in to make them comfortable, i have kept lots of boots i didn't like thinking they would break in... they do, but that doesn't make them comfortable.

insoles/orthotics can greatly change the feel of a boot, if the discomfort is because the arch is wrong for you, that can usually be remedied with an aftermarket insole like superfeet, probably much better with a custom orthotic, but i have not had them yet, so i can't give any testimonials there. the superfeet copper fit my foot profile well, so i can put them in any boot that fits me well and have a comfortable boot

Elmer J. Fudd

Lil-Rokslider
I really like my meindl comfort fit extremes. I have wide weirdly shaped feet and these are the first boot that hasn't caused pain in my toes. They were comfortable from day one. They feel stiff in a good way. The lacing system on them makes it easy to tighten them around your toes without the laces loosening up as you work towards the top. And meindl's costumer service has been excellent.

CTx7.3

FNG
I’m in the same boat. I already had the Salomon quest 4D but I went ahead and ordered the crispi nevadas after reading plenty of positive reviews.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought Hanwag Yukons this year for my first mountain elk hunt. they performed well, biggest piece of advice, whichever you choose, is break them in and take care of your feet while out hunting. Let them puppies breath every once in awhile.

RCB

WKR
As a dissenting opinion - I wear Merrell Moabs into late season. They’re pretty cheap mid-height hiking shoes. Pretty light. Flexible soles. I find stiff boots uncomfortable and cumbersome and usually heavy. Flexible shoes might not last forever, but they are agile and blisters are a non-issue. Pair them with gaiters and you can wear them all season. Yeah they’ll leak.
I’m not recommending the Moabs per se. Just recommending that you think about a lighter, softer (and cheaper!) shoe.

Stuff1616

FNG
if you narrow it down, blackovis makes returning stuff easy as long as you use some common sense not getting them dirty in the process of trying them. all you need is a steep slope or stairs in a pinch to see if your toes touch walking downhill or heel rub walking uphill... a slope you can sidehill is helpful too, make sure they are sure footed on a steep sidehill, and if you have any painful pressure points sidehilling that you cannot resolve by different lacing techniques.... if you have a pair of boots that's almost there, youtube some different lacing techniques and see if that helps, it can make a big difference in boot comfort.

the lighter and more flexible, the easier it will be to find comfortable boots, but that's not the best option for many folks, some need a stiffer boot or one with more support, and boots like that are more temperamental with fit, and sizing is a lot more critical.... you can't get away with much with stiffer boots, if they are too big or too small, you WILL suffer on the mountain.

you hear a lot about break in, in my experience, if a boot sucks on your feet on day 1, don't expect breaking them in to make them comfortable, i have kept lots of boots i didn't like thinking they would break in... they do, but that doesn't make them comfortable.

insoles/orthotics can greatly change the feel of a boot, if the discomfort is because the arch is wrong for you, that can usually be remedied with an aftermarket insole like superfeet, probably much better with a custom orthotic, but i have not had them yet, so i can't give any testimonials there. the superfeet copper fit my foot profile well, so i can put them in any boot that fits me well and have a comfortable boot
Thanks for the advice.