Whitetail Help!

If you like podcasts then check out Wired To Hunt. You can scroll through the descriptions and find one that is appealing to you. Rare that I don’t learn at least one new thing when listening. They also have a new Foundations podcast that is meant to break down the basics for new hunters.

Good luck and enjoy it! Every day spent in the field is a learning opportunity. I have been hunting over a decade now and still feel like I know very little. Continually trying to learn more anyway you can is the key IMO!

stump06

WKR
Listen to all the Southern outdoorsmans podcasts. They have very good info for hunting bucks in the southeast. I'd start with Glen Solomon and listen to all of them going forward. Really good info and it will cut your learning curve tremendously.

*zap*

WKR
This time of year drive/walk till you see a deer and that is a good place to start...look for the sign and set up at the correct time of day.

OP
downtownbrown0610
If I could only give one tactic to focus on for a new whitetail hunter it would be finding transition zones.

This works across all habitat types. Transition being where one type of vegetation or land feature butts up to another one. Swamp to woods, clearcut to woods, open woods to thicker woods, woods to open fields, edge of a creek, steep bluff on a broad scale. Ditches in a crop field, logging road in a clear cut, thicket in a swamp. All these create a transition zone.

Deer work transition zones parallel and perpendicular on both sides of that transition (interior and exterior) Walking a transition line will show those parallel and perpendicular trails of movement. A lot of times you will pick up buck sign like rubs and scrapes at these transitions and intersections. There are endless tactics out there but it seems to me this is the easiest way to just get on deer in general

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is good stuff thanks man!

I am really enjoying reading up on all this info. Started some WT podcast the other day. I am a huge podcast listener. Thanks again to everyone passing out advice!

If you like podcasts then check out Wired To Hunt. You can scroll through the descriptions and find one that is appealing to you. Rare that I don’t learn at least one new thing when listening. They also have a new Foundations podcast that is meant to break down the basics for new hunters.

Good luck and enjoy it! Every day spent in the field is a learning opportunity. I have been hunting over a decade now and still feel like I know very little. Continually trying to learn more anyway you can is the key IMO!
This X2. I would tune into every wired to hunt podcast that is applicable to you. I think mark Kenyon does a great job of always asking great questions during the podcast. I would also grab dan infalts hill country video as I’m assuming you will be hunting the hills of Kentucky.

In regards to scouting you get out what you put in. You can never know an area too intimately.

Lots of other great info already mentioned, sign, transitions, leeward side of hills during the rut, and #1 already mentioned is access. I believe that is the most important. Happy hunting!

Hill Country DVD from the Hunting Beast is a great call. Especially for hunting KY. You’ll need to know how deer bed in relation to hills/wind as well as how thermals work. Simple concept - air rises in the morning as it heats up and falls in the evening as it cools. Lots of ways to play that, though.

Out side help is a good starting point, things such as books,pod casts videos are for me a interesting point, the real way too learn is get out and hunt,learn from your blunders, your hunting one of the smartest wood creatures there is, you enter his world, think of it like he is hunting you in your living room. Been hunting these guys since I was 10 going on 66 now learn something every year, taught too me bye the deer not someone talking on a show. Our season is winding down but my season is just getting started for 2022, deer hunting especially the old bucks is a passion, lots of good info. has been passed your way pay attention and cut your own path too the big boys you persue. Good Luck

sgholmes

FNG
I’m in the Southeast and hunting whitetail most of my life. First you need to figure out where you’re hunting - on base? Private lease/club? Public land? This will determine if you will be allowed to leave out stands, cameras, etc. I guess you could leave those out regardless, but would recommend it as they tend to grow legs! I would start scouting ASAP to find as much sign as possible- old rub lines, scrape lines, bedding areas, etc. for the rut. For early season, it’s all about food sources, so look at your maps for agriculture or acorns, etc. in the hardwoods. It won’t take long for you to figure it out. Slip in to your spots quietly, scentfree as possible, and play the wind always. Good luck!

Tf44

FNG
Get in the woods a few months ahead of season and get to know the area. Find a place where you can sit and wait. Preferably a well established game trail. I like to set up between food sources, water and where they bed down. Depending on the area and natural cover don't be afraid to sit on the ground, in a tree stand or in a ground blind. Once you have the basic boxes checked all you have to do is wait for the deer to show up.

naternate

FNG
This is good stuff thanks man!

I am really enjoying reading up on all this info. Started some WT podcast the other day. I am a huge podcast listener. Thanks again to everyone passing out advice!

I am a podcast junkie too. Every day on the way to and back from work. Wired to hunt, southern outdoorsman, truth from the stand, east meets west are my favorites. I started at episode one and worked my way through. I kinda skip most turkey and western stuff just because thats not what I do. Wired to hunt has a foundations series that starts at the basics. Hunting Beast on Youtube is also a great free resource and the Hunting Beast DVDs are great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GCMan

FNG
Whitetails are the neurotic cousin of mule deer. If you can hunt mule deer that whitetails aren't that different. They are for sure more homebodies and mature animals will not tolerate human scent in their comfort zones, But with whitetails you don't have worry about the whole migration thing. You'll figure it out. I'm willing to give you my 2 cents on whitetails if you have a particular question. Here's some motivation. I like to scout in Feb. and March.

Attachments

• mydeer_IMG_0137.JPG
    mydeer_IMG_0137.JPG
    318.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 100_1747 (2).jpg
    100_1747 (2).jpg
    570.1 KB · Views: 24

MrRogers

FNG
Lot's of good information in this thread. Late winter scouting is great since you can find historical sign from the previous fall since nothing is greened up yet.

sharpk

FNG
Locals know the area better than anyone. as previously stated, pick their brains. The only thing on top of that is WIND. Mature bucks pick up scent and high tail it. Get winded enough by them and eventually they'll stop coming around that spot.

pk_

WKR
If there are lots of straight trees, I would recommend a lone wolf sit and climb treestand. You can pick them up pretty cheap used. Don’t forget the safety harness.

Don’t get sucked into the gear mindset, unless you just enjoy gear.

If you are just deer hunting, find the food. If you want mature bucks, figure out how the wind and thermals flow through the area. Grab some milkweed and listen to it, it will save you a lot of frustration.

Highly recommend the old Hunting Beast podcasts and Southern Outdoorsmen podcast.

Mapping trophy bucks by Brad Herndon if you like books. Hunting beast hill country dvd if you prefer video.

Good luck.

If you hunt the west you already probably know how to read a topo map we'll. Use this to your advantage to look for funnels, saddles, and other terrain advantages. Also use satellite imagery, along with boots on the ground scouting to look for buck and doe bedding, transition areas, food and water, rubs/scrapes lines, etc. Find a good mobile setup, IMO a hang-on like Lone Wolf Custom Gear, Novix, XOP, etc are much more versatile than a climber or saddle/platform set up. Wind is crucial, so is access and exit to stand locations. The best way to hunt them depends on the time of the year. These are all generic and some what obvious answers but it is a rabbit hole question and I could time forever lol. Good luck, you're going to love chasing whitetails.

Travis907

WKR
Start your E-scouting now if you can’t get boots on the ground yet. Also, it’s not a bad idea to contact the local F&W officer and or deer biologist for that area! Nothing beats boots on the ground if it’s possible so get out there as soon as you can. It’s never too early to start scouting!

sneaky

"DADDY"
Thats where I plan to do most of my hunting, unless we end up buying property.
The hardest part will be drawing an area assignment. Even being stationed there it'll be difficult. I have hunted on post quite a bit, some great deer in there, but not as many big deer being taken as there once was. Social media took care of that. Training schedule and closed areas will dictate a lot of your options. Be better to buy property instead of trying to lease property off post. Leases in that area are ridiculous in price.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

25orSo

Lil-Rokslider
Kentucky's gun season is short. 16 days. Bag limits vary per hunting unit. In my area it was 4, only one buck statewide.

If the weather sucks or you have conflicts with your schedule those 16 days go fast.

Mid November the weather is all over the place.

Tennessee's gun season opens the weekend before Thanksgiving and closes the first week in January. 2 bucks statewide. In the western zone you get 3 does/antlerless per day.

Tennessee gives you a lot more time in the woods to learn and experiment.

The base may have different rules.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is how well whitetails blend in the woods. Don't look for a whole deer. Look for pieces & movement.

Good luck