Whitetail in Alabama

OP
lkwoolsey

lkwoolsey

WKR
Thanks for all the responses. I'll be working in Montgomery, not 100% sure where I'm going to be living, probably Wetumpka or Deetsville.

cburgin72

Lil-Rokslider
You will just about have public land opportunities in all directions. There are some great leases around there too. If you want public land, the easiest thing to do is find the interactive map on the outdoor alabama website. It’s under the lands tab located on the far right at the top. There is also a good Facebook page for Alabama public land hunters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChrisAU

WKR
Public land in Southern Alabama is near non-existent. I live here. Sorry for your loss.

I have hunted north of Wetumpka on private land before, took one of my best bucks there in 2013. I think the best way for you to transition from Western hunting to learning the woods here would be to get into turkey hunting.

Just to follow up, you’ll be near the Tuskegee National Forest and you’re living in The Black Belt. Considered to be the best soil and wildlife habitat in the state.

OP
lkwoolsey

lkwoolsey

WKR
Just to follow up, you’ll be near the Tuskegee National Forest and you’re living in The Black Belt. Considered to be the best soil and wildlife habitat in the state.

Awesome, good to know. I'll actually be getting in to Alabama tomorrow afternoon. I'll have to start looking around. I doubt I'll get a lot of hunting in this fall bu hopefully some this spring and next fall!

rjb0021

FNG
Awesome, good to know. I'll actually be getting in to Alabama tomorrow afternoon. I'll have to start looking around. I doubt I'll get a lot of hunting in this fall bu hopefully some this spring and next fall!
I hunted Tuskegee NF while I was in school at Auburn. Saw several good bucks but never connected. Decent deer numbers but a lot of pressure.

Alright, I'm moving to Alabama this summer for work....Yeah, I'm gonna be flying back west every hunting season I get to hunt, but, it won't be possible every year. So, I'm checking out the hunting they have down there, and it looks like whitetail and hogs. I've never hunted from a tree stand, or honestly for whitetail at all. I've always backpack hunted. So, any pointers, advice, or anything that I should know about whitetail hunting down south? Thanks!
I grew up in Alaska and now go to school at Auburn. I’ve hunted all around the Montgomery Area. PM me and I’ll be happy to get you started on figuring it out down here.

ChrisAU

WKR
I grew up in Alaska and now go to school at Auburn. I’ve hunted all around the Montgomery Area. PM me and I’ll be happy to get you started on figuring it out down here.

War Eagle! Graduated '11.

I also have hunted around Montgomery but have limited knowledge because its been awhile. I took a decent buck north of Wetumpka in Titus on private land during the 2012-2013 season. He was rutting hard in early January:

VGmjYhP.jpg

cburgin72

Lil-Rokslider

I'm not sure how familiar you are with seasons and all that in Alabama but in most parts, the best time to hunt is during the month of January. I know you said you can't get out much this fall but if you can around Jan. It would likely be your best bet.

ChrisAU

WKR
I'm not sure how familiar you are with seasons and all that in Alabama but in most parts, the best time to hunt is during the month of January. I know you said you can't get out much this fall but if you can around Jan. It would likely be your best bet.

Great point, the buck above was killed mid January and was grunting his head off chasing a doe around. Down here the peak rut is the last week of January and leaks in to February a bit.

cburgin72

Lil-Rokslider
Great point, the buck above was killed mid January and was grunting his head off chasing a doe around. Down here the peak rut is the last week of January and leaks in to February a bit.
Sounds like he was putting on a show for ya 😄

TreyPound

FNG
It's been many years since I hunted or hung around the Camden area, but back then there were plenty of deer. You may have some ag fields to hunt and there should be a big acorn crop. Problem with the acorns is that they are everywhere.

Carr5vols

WKR
Alright, I'm moving to Alabama this summer for work....Yeah, I'm gonna be flying back west every hunting season I get to hunt, but, it won't be possible every year. So, I'm checking out the hunting they have down there, and it looks like whitetail and hogs. I've never hunted from a tree stand, or honestly for whitetail at all. I've always backpack hunted. So, any pointers, advice, or anything that I should know about whitetail hunting down south? Thanks!

Lowndes WMA has some decent hog hunting, but cotton mouths in there are large enough to ride and your shot on a hog will probably be within 15 feet. (Fast and exciting), there are deer o. Public ground you just have to work for them. My niece killed this o e on public in Alabama.

Carr5vols

WKR
Lowndes WMA has some decent hog hunting, but cotton mouths in there are large enough to ride and your shot on a hog will probably be within 15 feet. (Fast and exciting), there are deer o. Public ground you just have to work for them. My niece killed this o e on public in Alabama.
Forgot pic. IMG_0458.JPG

T28w

WKR
I agree with others on trying to find a club or lease. I’d talk with folks at ur work and maybe try to tag along for the first year and see if you like what a club/lease is like before paying to be in one and regretting it. I’m from the black belt but about 90 miles west. I can tell you that where I am, which is great deer hunting, that you prob are going to have poor luck on asking people if u can hunt their land for free. It used to be that way with farmers and such but that all ended when they realized how much someone would pay them to lease the land for hunting. U will be able to find places to hunt and you can kill deer, but really good areas and land that is large enough to “manage”for good deer don’t come cheap in my experience.

Something to ponder as time goes on is maybe trying to get a lease tied up and u and some friends share the cost. May not be cheap but it’s what I would do if I really wanted to deer hunt.

Also go on a good dove hunt. It’s right behind waterfowl for me. It’s kicking of the fall hunting season, football has started and is a warm up for duck season