Whitetail in breaks-like country?

Badland

FNG
The wife is likely going to have a whitetail tag in western ND along little Missouri river. There's some private ag land near the river but it's primarily cattle country as it is pretty rough terrain for most of the unit. Just putting feelers out there to see if anyone has any tips for hunting whitetails in this type of country. I have hunted in nearby units for mule deer many times focusing on the breaks country but rarely see any whitetails except during the rut along the river bottoms and usually only notice them when they are running full boar hot on a doe haha. In Aug/Sept will see bachelor groups in the private ag fields at dusk, not uncommon to see 160 class deer.

I'm guessing there are no secrets and I should just work along the river checking bottoms nearest to the few ag fields and trees.

Thanks!

I think you hit the nail on the head. Western SD river break area the white tails are mainly along the river bottoms. I also saw them going up the creek drainages that connect to the main river bottom in the mornings (guessing cruising for does and heading for bedding). I’ve found them up in the hills too but usually within a mile of the river bottom. If you time it right, I’ve rattled in a couple nice ones out west in that kind of country adjacent to the river bottoms.

OP
Badland

Badland

FNG
I will definitely check out the creek drainages, there’s a few of em. Never would have thought to rattle but I will definitely give that a go, thanks for the input

nowen22

FNG
Look for confluences where multiple drainages meet up towards the river bottom. Set up on some game trails and like what was said above, try and rattle. Screen Shot 2020-06-06 at 9.23.25 PM.png