Whitetail Rut Sock Recommendation

Looking for recommendations on socks or sock Layering system for November rut in Kansas. I am between some merino wool socks that have some poly or spandex like darn tough or smartwool. But I am not sure on thickness as I don’t want my feet to sweat and then become wet and cold. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Cheers!

Btaylor

WKR
I wear the heavy weight Darn tough for hunting, all season. If your feet sweat bad, the 2 choices I know of are to start now putting anti perspirant on your feet daily to build up sweat prevention or wear a light liner sock to wick moisture under the wool sock.

I have been wearing the First Lite merino zero cold weather socks here in Wisconsin and love them. They also make a middleweight and thin sock as well.

crich

WKR
I use a kenetrek liner and heavy wool sock. I started wearing regular socks and flipflops to drive to where I was hunting then changing into my boots and that helped a ton. My feet tend to sweat a lot and get clammy so putting on dry socks and boots before I walk to my stand made a difference.

pybucks

FNG
I always wear a sock liner then a light, medium or heavy weight merino wool sock depending on the temp. Don't wear a sock that's so heavy it makes for too tight of a boot fit. There are a lot of high quality merino wool socks on the market, don't over think it.

*zap*

WKR
It really depends on how far and how much you are packing in or not. Short walk to a pre-set stand would require different clothing than a long pack in carrying 45#. I do not wear heavy socks deer hunting (generally) and just use boot blankets when it gets cold. The exception would be a short walk in in snow..

kda082

WKR
All good advice. I’ll throw a second pair in pack if I have room. Hate sweaty wet socks And like said a long walk in usually leads to this.

Lowg08

WKR
I carry a second pair of socks. I also wear the first lite zero degree. Put in dry socks, toastie toe on top, heated insole and boot blankets. Like said about loosen the laces. Good to go.

Looking for recommendations on socks or sock Layering system for November rut in Kansas. I am between some merino wool socks that have some poly or spandex like darn tough or smartwool. But I am not sure on thickness as I don’t want my feet to sweat and then become wet and cold. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Cheers!
I could use the help also

mikear

Lil-Rokslider
As others have stated, a second dry pair of socks for once you reach your destination are a necessity for me. I use smartwool and darn tough midweight. Put the sweaty pair in a ziplock and loosen your boot laces. If it’s really cold I’ll put a stick on toe warmer in my boots.