Whitetail System Review

Sorry to post another one of these, but continuing to research things is getting old! I mainly tree stand hunt, bow and rifle, in Indiana and Tennessee, and I'm putting together my first "technical" hunting clothing layering system. The walk in is not very far at the moment, maybe a quarter to half mile, but I plan to keep expanding my hunting endeavors going forward. This is my list so far, and I was hoping some with more experience could say if it looks like a solid start, or critique as needed, with recommendations on pieces to add to it going forward. Thanks for any insights!

Tops - Firstlite Wick crew, furnace Henley; Sitka Fanatic Hoody, Celcius Midi Jacket, Stratus Jacket, and possibly the Fanatic Vest
Bottoms - Firstlite Wick boot top bottoms, Furnace Long Johns; Sitka Stratus bibs

I'm still not sure on pants. I've thought about saving money and going with the Wrangler Walmart cargo pants, but wish I could find an all season hunting/hiking pant that would blend well into this system. I've considered the Firstlite Corrugate Guide Pants and Kuiu Attacks, but no firm decision. I'll also pick up some socks, gloves, hats as needed, along with a pair of lacrosse alpha burly pro 1600s.

I've thought about upgrading to the Fanatic bibs and jackets, but I'm not sure if that would be overkill for the my current needs or not. I think the above system would be more versatile, and cheaper, to start out with.

OP
F
Last year had some decent wind, with temps in the 20s to start, warmed up to upper 20s/mid 30s, then dropped back down toward the evening. Not sure on humidity. This was an Indiana tree stand hunt.

In Tennessee, we do have humidity, especially early season. Temp ranges from mid 80s in the early season down to mid 30s. We get more sleet/ice than snow in the winter. Wind varies, but nothing drastic.

Brendan

WKR
If I could have one piece of whitetail treestand gear, it would be the Sitka Fanatic Jacket. Early season when it's warm enough that you don't need it, it really doesn't matter. I'll wear my western gear and be comfortable. Late season when it gets cold, the pocket design is really outstanding. It is not waterproof though, so not going to use it for a long sit in conditions you'll soak through.

Everything else, you can find cheaper gear that'll work fine. Just need a slightly bigger pack to carry in bibs for example, and you can dry everything out every night.

OP
F
If I could have one piece of whitetail treestand gear, it would be the Sitka Fanatic Jacket. Early season when it's warm enough that you don't need it, it really doesn't matter. I'll wear my western gear and be comfortable. Late season when it gets cold, the pocket design is really outstanding. It is not waterproof though, so not going to use it for a long sit in conditions you'll soak through.

Everything else, you can find cheaper gear that'll work fine. Just need a slightly bigger pack to carry in bibs for example, and you can dry everything out every night.

Thats a valid point. I’ve survived with the clothes I’ve worn to this point, so one solid outer layer could be all I really need. I just like the more streamlined look and feel. Less bulk and more freedom of movement. I don’t have a western set up to wear underneath though. Hence trying to set up a decent “starter” set and build as needed from there

bat-cave

WKR
I have only been hunting Whitetail for the past 6 years, so I'm no authority on the topic, but my .02 ...

I agree that the Fanatic Jacket & Bibs are excellent. I also have the Equinox Hoody + Jacket and pants for when it's a bit warmer. I add layers underneath as necessary and it was served me well for most conditions and through some snow storms etc ... Last year was the curve ball in that it was unseasonably cold (below zero and heavy snow) and I have now added the Incinerator Bib & Jacket as the Fanatic was just not enough. To be fair it was close, but the wind was the killer and I am hoping the Incinerator will address the shortcomings. IMHO you don't necessarily need base-layers from Sitka. I do have some Sitka baselayers, but also have a mix from FirstLite & Kuiu as I like the Merino layers from both. I originally became a fan of the Kuiu zip-off bottoms, but now FirstLite has options as well. I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

IMHO, a good Muff is a MUST have as I struggle to keep my extremities warm. Some hand warmers in a Muff are money and I personally love First Lite's Merino base layer gloves as I can handle my bow well and still have finger dexterity and even active a phone w/o removing a glove.

I have ended up using Lacrosse rubber boots. I love AeroHead 7mm until it gets really cold and then switch to the Alphaburly Pro 1600's for the bitter cold. I tried 800G first ... not really any different warmth-wise than the Aerohead (which IMHO are the most comfortable Rubber Boot to actually hike distances in).

My only caveat is that all of my Whitetail experience is in North Central KS. I don't love the Elevated II pattern for blending into the foliage there. It works, but it's not like you blend in. It works well enough that I've been able to kill deer every year, but unless it's super cold I may opt to throw a First Lite Leafy top on as it breaks up your outline that much more. FWIW ... I use it in Turkey season and Elk/Mule Deer in CO as well. The Leafy suit is super light and easy to add to any setup!