Whitetail taxidermy issue

Has anyone ever had a deer head/mount ruin due to excessive fluid? I had a processor send a cape mount over to a taxidermist and it was ruined. Hair pulling out, eye lids swollen out of proportion. Taxidermist said it was because he hung it upside down too long and all the fluid built up in its head :/ Its clearly swollen and ruined but I have never heard of hanging doing that kind of damage. (only their few days then frozen) Anyone else?

WCB

WKR
We had deer, antelope, elk hang for a couple days (head down) before I caped it with zero issues. Cool weather 40s as highs mid 30s as lows. Never heard of something dead getting water head.

OP
will ferrell
Thanks. Yea me neither. It’s messed up royally and I’m told the only solution is to find another cape. Not sure what or how it happened.

Attachments

• B07F5E64-6478-404E-A738-B14ABC10163D.jpeg
    B07F5E64-6478-404E-A738-B14ABC10163D.jpeg
    339.8 KB · Views: 78

manitou1

WKR
Hanging one head down won't ruin it. Hanging head down, or otherwise in a warm and/or moist environment will encourage bacteria growth, which attacks the hair follicles and causes hair slippage. A wet cape will expedite this process.

OP
will ferrell
Hanging one head down won't ruin it. Hanging head down, or otherwise in a warm and/or moist environment will encourage bacteria growth, which attacks the hair follicles and causes hair slippage. A wet cape will expedite this process.
I've used the guy many times with no issue but that makes total sense. Very helpful thanks!

Many forget that trophy care begins as soon as the animal hits the ground. Sure, there is time for trophy photos and ”take it all in.” But after that everything matters and hides are more fragile than most think, especially in warm weather. Time is the enemy when it comes to caping, turning, processing and prepping. Damage can happen in the field, at the taxidermist, or the tannery.

There’s also a pretty vast difference between taxidermists. Learned my own lessons and these days pay just a little bit extra for consistently superb work. Just love admiring quality animal art and reliving the experience.

Same goes for tanning. Use the best. Over the years and many mounts have twice had a tannery call me to let me know a hide didn’t really survive = hair slippage. It happens, but it should be very rare. The good news is they didn’t charge me for it or send the cape back to the taxidermist for mounting.

Not certain of this Taxidermist’s story of what caused the damage to the cape. But if you really want that buck mounted there really isn’t much choice other than replacing the cape. If not satisfied with the taxidermist, certain there are several high quality taxidermists available who’s work anyone would want displayed.

OP
will ferrell
Great insight for sure. In my case the taxidermist was not the one that created the issue but the processor. Unfortunately, it seems the breakdown happened there or even sending it to the processor to begin with. I normally do my own cape but didn't in this case. Thanks for the help!

mauserfan

FNG
Interesting. I have always hung by the rear legs as I believe that hanging by the neck is disrespectful to the animal whose life you have taken.
Darrel

Great insight for sure. In my case the taxidermist was not the one that created the issue but the processor. Unfortunately, it seems the breakdown happened there or even sending it to the processor to begin with. I normally do my own cape but didn't in this case. Thanks for the help!
Absolutely! Have seen many a cape ruined by lack of care at a deer processing operation. Taking care of hides in preparation for taxidermy just isn’t their priority. Their skinning/caping often butchers or leaves on too much flesh.