Whitetail Tracking

hjcruger

FNG
Hi, folks. I grew up hunting in Vermont from treestands. Recently I've been tracking on snow when I have the time to hunt and the conditions to do so. I've come up on a doe at 60-70 yards without her knowing I was there, so I think I'm doing some things right. Now I just need the time to follow enough tracks until I can make a buck materialize at the end. Anyway, do any of you have tips for a beginning tracker that may shorten up the learning curve? I feel pretty comfortable telling buck and doe tracks apart (good bucks anyway), but I'm more concerned about when to go fast, when to slow down, how often to stop, what you can and can't get away with, etc. Thanks, and shoot straight.

OP
hjcruger

hjcruger

FNG
Look up Hal Blood and the Benoits. I also grew up in Vermont. What part of the state?

I grew up in Rutland, but am going to school in Middlebury right now. I've sat in on one of Hal's seminars, and have hung out at various events with the Benoits a bit over the years. I was a bit young to be too concerned with tracking big bucks on public land then, but if I bump into them again I'll be sure to pick their brains if they have time.

mtluckydan

Lil-Rokslider
If you are serious about learning to track deer in the snow I would buy "Big Bucks The Benoit Way" by Bryce Towsley and then read it cover to cover. After reading it cover to cover, I would let a little time go by and then read it cover to cover again so the small stuff you missed the first time comes to light. The Benoits also put some videos together and if still available you may want to consider them as well. Sometimes seeing is better than reading.

You probably don't want to hang out with Larry or Lane Benoit because they are tracking in a very different place. Good luck with your hunting education.

adamm88

WKR
Anyone have a recommendation for dry ground stalking/tracking/still hunting? We hardly ever get snow where im at in pa, iv done ok the last two years and gotten two doe still hunting but im alway looking to learn more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk