Who are Kifaru’s new owners?

Buy-outs of innovative niche companies who serve a very unique audience who are willing to pay for value never go well.

Go from 3 stitch to 2, why can't we use a lesser zipper style, if we increase units sold by reducing cost can we get materials made overseas, etc, etc.

Ownership increases with additional investment, leverage the brand name, reduce cost, everyone needs "their" ROI.

Not a bad thing as an investor, not always good for the customer .....

Aron has made a few statements before on this thought process. Basically, while they would profit quite a bit more in the short run from shipping their labor over seas, the long term issues with quality control and not being Made in USA drastically outweigh the financial benefits. They're proud of what they make and you can see it when he personally answers his phone to random people calling to ask questions a 5 minute google search would tell them.

It would be disheartening to see, but I would roll the dice on it not happening. If nothing else, I think his pride would prevent it.

Being all American made is a big thing for me. If, and I dont think think it would ever happen, kifaru was to move pack making over seas, I might start looking elsewhere for packs.

And yes, I know their logo clothing is made in China, but I am referring to just their packs.

WKR
Being all American made is a big thing for me. If, and I dont think think it would ever happen, kifaru was to move pack making over seas, I might start looking elsewhere for packs.

And yes, I know their logo clothing is made in China, but I am referring to just their packs.

So the "Kifaru, 100% American Made" sticker is factually incorrect?

So the "Kifaru, 100% American Made" sticker is factually incorrect?
I believe that only applies to their packs, frames, pockets, sleeping bags, lpp and pants, and accompanying items like that (fabric, webbing, buckles, ect).

My sweatshirt has a "made in china" tag inside it. I am not blaming them or feel any different about that, as the price to have cotton spun into thread, then wove into fabric, them made into a shirt, then printed with ink made in America, would be pretty dang costly and probably wouldn't sell. It is very common for businesses to do this.

I would believe the stickers are referring to packs primarily

MattB

WKR
Buy-outs of innovative niche companies who serve a very unique audience who are willing to pay for value never go well.

Go from 3 stitch to 2, why can't we use a lesser zipper style, if we increase units sold by reducing cost can we get materials made overseas, etc, etc.

Ownership increases with additional investment, leverage the brand name, reduce cost, everyone needs "their" ROI.

You are missing it here. This is not a PE firm buying a brand, this is the buy out of a founder by a guy who joined him and helped him take his company to an entirely different level.

DudeBro

Lil-Rokslider

One thing to remember is that we don’t know the terms of the buy-out agreement and partnership agreement. It wouldn’t be out of the question that the partners agreed that Aron retains all design authority and/or backpacking/outdoor products will always remain 100% American made (or even Berry compliant).

Shrek

WKR
I doubt much will change other than maybe scaling up with some new investment. Aron has been running Kifaru for years now. Patrick has been retired for some time. Aron has put in the work and I hope continues to be successful. Aron obviously didn’t start Kifaru but he showed the way to grow the company much larger than Patrick had intended.

DudeBro

Lil-Rokslider
I doubt much will change other than maybe scaling up with some new investment. Aron has been running Kifaru for years now. Patrick has been retired for some time. Aron has put in the work and I hope continues to be successful. Aron obviously didn’t start Kifaru but he showed the way to grow the company much larger than Patrick had intended.

IIRC, on the latest podcast, Aron said they plan to grow the company around 5x over the next few years (they've grown around 6x during the last 8 years). Frank is becoming manager of operations. It sounds like the investors have a plan to increase production substantially.

OP
tdhanses

tdhanses

WKR
IIRC, on the latest podcast, Aron said they plan to grow the company around 5x over the next few years (they've grown around 6x during the last 8 years). Frank is becoming manager of operations. It sounds like the investors have a plan to increase production substantially.
Kind of wonder if there is market share for that growth or will we see it become a retail driven product, the future will be interesting for Kifaru.

Kind of wonder if there is market share for that growth or will we see it become a retail driven product, the future will be interesting for Kifaru.

I wouldn't be surprised that they target the general backpacker more. It is a much larger market and if you look at the most recent releases they are internal packs that would be more to the general backpackers market with some overlap for hunting. Then with the Joe Rogan podcast Aron said they had a huge increase in interest from nonhunters.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Yep, he said they normally average 5000 hits a day on the website, at lunch the day after the Rogan podcast they had 60000. Basically the new investors are letting him run with it the first year or so while they scale things up. It's in the podcast with Wilderness Athlete they just did.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
You hate to see niche companies that make great products struggle because of poor business acumen and also hate to see great products get ruined by bean counters. Here's to hoping the 3 of them have the right balance to keep Kifaru financially successful and focused on making the best gear possible!

Nothing like that will be happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I hope they do not scale out like SG did.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I like my niche' companies to stay in their niche'. I'd think less of Western Mountaineering if they started making tents and packs...

Our main priority is to cut shipping times down to less than five days. We won’t be going to multiple retailers or anything like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wrench

WKR
Aron strikes me as a guy who values principles more than profit. In his own words he lived on a fukking cot, surviving happily on small growth and sleeping well at night is priceless.

Remember when Larry Bartlett had a bad run of material and got bashed? Small business can't tolerate that, guys like Aron and Larry know this and try to keep the quality above expectations.

Aron has a niche since MR sold to the devil and outsourced. Guys want the best and will pay a premium to look someone in the eye that flips them shit about an $800 backpack and be able to tell them that they buy American with pride, so kiss my ass.