Who bivies in the rain?

snowplow

WKR
Just curious how many of you just run a bivy with no tarp in the rainy climate like here in western wa?

So far l always have a tarp but l would love to hear some tips to make leaving the tarp at home more doable. Sleeping isnt so bad but what do you do with all the gear in the rain and mud?

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Jimbob

WKR
I would not even consider it. Why? Tarps and shelters are so light why would I choose to sleep in a tube?

In an emergency sure, or to bivy overnight on a animal but never as my primary shelter.

Muleyslayer14

Lil-Rokslider
I’m about to do it this weekend, just for one night so nothing crazy. I will be carrying a contractor bag to slip my gear into. Most people don’t like the bivy only system but I’m excited to throw camp together in 2 minutes and not worry about find a big flat to setup in. I think both have advantages, looking forward to either hating or loving the OR bivy after scouting season.

I would not even consider it. Why? Tarps and shelters are so light why would I choose to sleep in a tube?

In an emergency sure, or to bivy overnight on a animal but never as my primary shelter.

I completely agree. My lightest tarp/ground cloth is 15 oz., including stakes, guylines, stuff sacks, etc. It offers 100% complete protection, has a pretty small footprint, and gives me enough area to store extra gear and cook in, if I need to. Plus, I don’t believe there are too many stand alone bivy’s that come in at under a pound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bighorse

WKR
I hunt in the rainforest of SE AK. I use an OR advanced bivy with closed cell foam underneath, an inflatable inside. I also use small tent tepee (SL3, Eolus, Silvertip) style shelters over it. To be human and protect myself from windchill the overhead shelter is my preference. It's great for morning coffee, sorting gear, changing clothing, ect.... I find a good morning routine really sets the tone for my entire day of hunting.

GotDraw?

WKR
Guess that depends how you look at. I plan for the 1% so the 99% is easy.
  • Bivvy is great until you need to get into yours in the middle of night and it's pouring rain and your boots and gear are soaked and you have the pleasure of peeling it all off in a narrow cocoon while soaking your bag.
  • Bivvy is great until you need to get dressed, take a leak or take a dump in the middle of the night and it's pouring rain... oh, and then you have the pleasure of the return trip back into the bivvy in soaked gear and boots. Sweet!
  • Bivvy is great until you plan to get up in the morning and hunt and it is pouring rain and driving wind... and you are stuck flat on your back for hours...
On those days, I'll sell you the light tarp I bought for $150 for $500 and you just might buy it...

JL

I have done it, often out of necessity.

I found it pretty miserable for the reasons noted above. Rain on your face or seal yourself up inside your bivy like a coffin. One time I got so frustrated I draped my goretex jacket over my face to keep the rain off me and still be able to breath.

I love to cowboy camp and used to use a bivy and a ground cloth that I strung up overhead in the event of rain. Now a tarp and ground cloth are my go to. I save the bivy for when I want extra weather protection for my bag but still don’t want a tent for whatever reason.

Poser

WKR
As mentioned above, it all out SUCKS when it’s raining. I’d consider it if the forecast is looks highly reliable and I really needed to skimp on weight -overnight Bike trip or similar, but if you have to take a piss in the middle of a thunderstorm, you’ll be hating life.

bncrshr77

FNG
I believe I'll be going with a bivy this year... But it will be a bug bivy with bathtub floor and a sweet tarp over me just on the in case!

Jakeweb09

WKR
Just curious how many of you just run a bivy with no tarp in the rainy climate like here in western wa?

So far l always have a tarp but l would love to hear some tips to make leaving the tarp at home more doable. Sleeping isnt so bad but what do you do with all the gear in the rain and mud?

I’ve used a bivy in a outright downpour once before. It wasn’t supposed to rain when I left the truck. Rained all day and all night. And I’ve never been in a bivy since. I have a one person tent that’s about 3lbs, and I’ll carry that extra 2 pounds every time no matter what after that.

Phaseolus

WKR
I carry a Moonstone bivy on occasion, it stinks to get a ‘surprise’ rain event. I only bring it as my main shelter when I am fairly certain I can get away with it.

OP
S

snowplow

WKR
Thanks for the insight guys. I have experienced most of those negatives at least once and was wondering what the heck l was missing and how you guys made it work.

I completely agree. My lightest tarp/ground cloth is 15 oz., including stakes, guylines, stuff sacks, etc. It offers 100% complete protection, has a pretty small footprint, and gives me enough area to store extra gear and cook in, if I need to. Plus, I don’t believe there are too many stand alone bivy’s that come in at under a pound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The minimalist in me needs you to post the setup details.

jhm2023

WKR
I've done the bivy thing in pouring rain, dust storms, and down to -30 because the Army sucks and creature comforts are always pretty low on the priority list. I refuse to willingly subject myself to that shenanigans on my own and will take some sort of shelter every time.