Who builds their own arrows?

TheRambler

Lil-Rokslider
I am a trad archer, but make my own arrows out of bamboo primarily, but have also used river cane, and wooden dowel rods from hardware stores etc. I use turkey feathers for my fletching, and usually have enough turkey feathers from my own harvesting of turkeys, but do occassionally have to buy them. I love making arrows. It gives me something to do on crummy days when i don't feel like going out, or when i am home babysitting the kiddo. I have also just recently started delving into making my own trade points.

tawmio

FNG
build my own.
Have found that if i tune my arrows properly i can cut down on the amount of helical on my fletching. The straighter the helical the smaller amount of energy gets robbed in flight.
Just too many advantages to your own making arrows.
I use a martin Jig, and sometimes an ez fletch.
I built my own arrow saw from a pneumatic dremmel tool with a small diamond blade on it.
IMG_2518.jpg
IMG_2519.jpg
IMG_2520.jpg

ON MY OWN!!! I am a big MULLET arrow guy!!!

MULLET arrow: Colorful extension of ones self or scheme on ones own bow! Brightly wrapped arrow with colorful display of vane choice, Tipped with the BADDEST broadhead up front. Business in the front/party in the back!!

TJ

WKR
I've always done my own. I can see no reason not to.

I have a Bitz fletching jig but prefer the Arizona mini when using Blazer vanes on a FMJ shaft.

By the way, nice arrow cutter tawmio.

tawmio

FNG
I made one with a electric dremmel but it walked all over the place from vibration. I just need to find a adhesive backed tape measure and ill b set

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
ON MY OWN!!! I am a big MULLET arrow guy!!!

MULLET arrow: Colorful extension of ones self or scheme on ones own bow! Brightly wrapped arrow with colorful display of vane choice, Tipped with the BADDEST broadhead up front. Business in the front/party in the back!!
to funny

G Posik

WKR
I build my own arrows on the carbon side. My wood arrows I have made. Since I am just starting with shooting wood arrows. I tend to keep about 4-6 dozen of the FMJ's built and ready to go. As a traditional shooter I shoot a lot and not afraid to fling some arrows. When flinging as many arrows as I do you will loose a few or break a few. So must keep a good supply on hand.

Glenn

swat8888

WKR
Tawmio. Love that arrow cutter. Don't happen to have the specs on that thing that you can send me do ya.

tawmio

FNG
I could take some more pictures with measurements if u want. It's a relatively cheap thing to build (granted you don't waste time and coin on failed versions like I did) the air dremmel was $20 the diamond blade came in a kit but should b no more than $5 and plywood Is pretty easy to come by I used Baltic birch it's very solid to work with. The other problem with the electric dremmel was the fact that I had to use a 1 1/2" diamond disc so it would b raised high enough that the arrow wouldn't hit the dremmel befor the disc. Also a large disc wobbels .The air version covers both those problem its no more than 3/4" and the disc is only 7/8" tops.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I did for years then just got too busy. Archery Idaho, Tom Thiel, builds them now and they're right every time.

Rambler, you'd be a real Indian in my book
Tawmio, cool homemade gear, bet that adds to the experience.

JasonWi

WKR
I've been making my own for years. I bought the apple arrow saw, have 3 mini EZ-fletches and 1 bitz. Prefer the mini's for my blazers. I like alot of helical.

I'm rocking the "MULLET" arrows also. Flamingo pink 4" wraps with 2 pink and 1 white blazer vanes.

CtP

Lil-Rokslider
I just got my setup complete and now is the time to build. What's a good jig to use for vanes over 2". I want to put flex fletch on some arrows to build and I'm curious what jig would be best for a 3* helical. Is there an user friendly one like the Arizona or the Bohning?

cmeier117

WKR
Aron,

How about you do a beginners guide to arrow building? I really want to start doing my own arrows this year and don't really know where to start.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aron,

How about you do a beginners guide to arrow building? I really want to start doing my own arrows this year and don't really know where to start.

I think David long did a video for Rokslide a while back. Check it out if you haven't already.

It's not hard... Great way to ensure all your arrows are matching in weight as well, if you are anal like me about it.

Can't beat a Bitz for consitency and a perfect fletch every time.