Who did I meet at the trailhead in Colorado???

Hey just wanted to see who I talked to at the trailhead in southern Colorado? I was with my wife hiking with our springer spaniel and gave you a possible location where I saw some bear sign while elk hunting.

cjl32

Lil-Rokslider
That would be me. Lol, I almost posted this same thread. I would love to say that we used your info and got a bear but after 9 days of grinding it out without any luck, we spent the night in the local brewery and headed home the next day.

it was great meeting and talking with you and the next time the acorns are non existent in that area, we will be starting where you saw all the bear sign.

How did your elk hunt turn out?

OP
T
Lol, about like your hunt. Just a tough year I guess. My name is James by the way, we live in Texas.

gelton

WKR
I pulled some roksliders out of a ditch they had slid into trying to back a trailer up during a snow storm several years back...always fun running into fellow forum members.

cjl32

Lil-Rokslider
James was very cordial and more than forth coming with info when I asked if he's seen any bear sign and I thought to myself "I bet this guy is on Rokslide". I asked and he confirmed as I took off quickly trying to get to an area before dark that I had seen bears in a few years early. Sometimes you just know.

I think for the most part the majority of people here are truly genuine, honest, helpful and friendly which is a rarity today for online forums and communities. At least it's rare in the other hunting and shooting forums I frequent. This is a cool place with good folks.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
That's funny. I was going to ask if the Texans I gave a jump start to were RS's.........or if the two guys with the elk decoy that I messed with the other evening with bugling were RS's.

Ouch! Well if the entire State of Texas is here then a lot of them are hunting illegally apparently. Sometime in the last week or so notices were put up at many of the Forest Access Roads reminding people that many of the Southern Colorado units are no longer OTC for archery. So I'm guessing that many hunters didn't get the memo and the DWM's have had their hands full dealing with people hunting illegally in what are now draw only units.

The signs were just pieces of paper taped to "Caution" signs so my bet is this was a bigger problem than CPW or the Forest Service had anticipated.

Ouch! Well if the entire State of Texas is here then a lot of them are hunting illegally apparently. Sometime in the last week or so notices were put up at many of the Forest Access Roads reminding people that many of the Southern Colorado units are no longer OTC for archery. So I'm guessing that many hunters didn't get the memo and the DWM's have had their hands full dealing with people hunting illegally in what are now draw only units.

The signs were just pieces of paper taped to "Caution" signs so my bet is this was a bigger problem than CPW or the Forest Service had anticipated.

I thought this would probably be a pretty big problem. I know of a fair number of guys who have gone for over 20 years to the same area, just stop and get an OTC tag at Walmart. Bound to be a certain percentage who don't keep up with much, had no idea units went to limited.

OP
T
I got stopped by a game warden, think his name was Doug coming off my first spot and he didn’t say anything about anyone hunting the wrong units. But I did see all the signs posted to the entrance of pretty much every trail access point saying the unit was no longer OTC so hopefully that stopped some people before they headed in