Who did you meet hunting this year?

Rangerpants

Lil-Rokslider
Only people I met this year was when I pulled into their camp in a snow storm. I’d shot a buck right at dark and buried my knife in my wrist and was in pretty bad shape. The lady there was a cardiac nurse, she knew what to do, got the bleeding stopped and kept me from going to far into shock. After she got the bleeding mostly stopped I drove myself into town a couple hours away to the ER for stitches. I think I’d have made it out in my own but those people were an answer to a prayer when I needed help.
Whoa, what good luck finding those folks! Glad you are alright, and I hope the buck was worth it!

Hunt4lyf

Lil-Rokslider
Whoa, what good luck finding those folks! Glad you are alright, and I hope the buck was worth it!

They were the only camp up there, that’s the first nurse I’ve ever met hunting.

It was a good buck

27337594-CA28-4707-A559-E966F81FC33B.jpeg

Not a good place to cut my wrist though, just missed the artery and I must’ve hit a nerve because I’m having problems with my elbow

F4CE42C4-6055-47D6-9E0B-27F5B24E5C3A.jpeg

We took a mid day break and headed off the mountain needed gas in the truck and a greasy burger was also in plans after a couple days of freeze dried. On the way back up the mountain we took a detour to check out a drainage with a small livestock pond at the head of it...pull up and there was a truck with a nice retired couple sitting in it glassing. Well the gentleman was glassing his wife was reading Better Homes and Garden...Turns out it was local couple great people and they did give us some local Intel. He said they sat there everyday of season till he fills his tag. We start checking Onx to recon the next spot and sure enough his truck is in the same spot on Onx sat imagines...we pretty took everything else he said as fact....lol

A guy, his wife, and two kids who trespassed across our property chasing a buck they wounded and never recovered. Interestingly enough they were on the high end of our property and could see us in and around our cabin the entire time they were on our land, and still decided it was okay to trespass.

We found said buck the day after they left, karma I guess?

ScottRK

Lil-Rokslider
Off topic reminds me of a wk long trade class years ago. 2 of us left hotel bar and a little older guy stayed. Next morning asked about any girls coming in after we left. He says no, no but I met this really nice guy. He got ridden the rest of the wk about that.
Anyway I’ve got a small parcel and in Nov. this yr. a guy 100yd away in a shanty popped a shot. I was behind a deadfall ,and the doe crossed the fence to my property and faceplowed behind another deadfall 30yds away. I yelled out I’m in here as a follow up was about 10* off me. I walked over to it and older guy 72 on a lease comes to fence and asks if he can get it. I say sure , and we talk coondogs while he tags it ,and I helped him drag it 100 yd back over where he field dressed it.
Big doe and a good shot with exit with .450 it just bolted.Saw nothing rest of the day and got my deer 12/31:/
Asked neighbors with cabin next door about retrieval and they said sure ,and we’ll help ya.

Elk97

WKR
Met several nice guys and one grouch while elk hunting this year. Couple of the guys were local and we ended up hunting the same areas for several days. Type of people that would have been insulted if we had not asked for help packing something out. One guy we met, several miles in, came up to us and told us that we called too much and that's why all the elk had gone quiet. Pretty funny because we were hearing around a dozen bugles or more each day, before and after he chewed on us. The best guy we ever met had to be the older guy (yep, older than me) on a four wheeler that came by us one hot afternoon while we were hiking out on a logging road. Stopped and chit chatted for a bit and then asked if we could use a cold beer. My son and I looked at each other and simultaneously said "Hell yeah!!". Made our day, still talk about him.

Marble

WKR
Met an 83 year old guy from Austria. Moved to Idaho in 68'. He was on a solo archery hunt.

Hes my role model now...

Told my wife about him. Her response, "that's gonna be you."

Damn I hope so!

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

rclouse79

WKR
As much as I try to get away from other hunters, most of them are pretty cool when you run into them. Over the past two years I have been given three rides when the mountains spit me out a couple miles from the truck. I even had a group of guys from North Idaho that stopped and gave me a beer before giving me a ride to my truck. It definitely ranked in the top five beers that have ever passed my lips.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I hunted pretty hard (~20 days) and only met one group in that time. It was Veterans Day and storming hard, so miserable I gave up glassing after an hour to warm up. Bumped into two guys who were helicopter pilots for a National Guard unit here. Super nice guys, we chatted almost an hour, knew some folks in common.

They said they never see anyone in here, that’s what I said too :D

I met a couple FIB's, a Wisconsinite, 3 Georgians, 2 Nebraskans a a fella from New Hampshire while in Nebraska in this year. I keep in touch with all but the FIB's. One of the Georgians helped me drag my pronghorn back to the truck, quarter and bum his hotel shower and shitter. He then came to bum my couch on his way back home to ATL and this year we're planning a Utah elk trip.

One of the Nebraskans and I plan to do some more goat hunting in the future too.

Haggin

Lil-Rokslider
I met a group of good ol' boys from Mississippi while hunting near the sandhills of Nebraska. Had breakfast with them daily at the hotel. They were on their annual deer hunting excursion hitting public lands and some private al across the plains. Had some decent deer from Kansas and were headed on down the road after being in my state for just a few days. I'll probably see them again next year.

GregB

WKR
2019 me and my hunting partner pulled up to the trail head, there was another guy there getting ready so we chatted with him for a bit. Turns out he had shot an elk the day before, it was a steep angle and he thought he only got one lung. Guy had punched his tag and was going to try to find and recover the elk. Whished him luck and we went our separate ways. 2020 we are back in several miles, and were near where the guy went looking for his bull and had been chatting about it. Turned around and started heading back to the truck and saw a couple guys sitting under a tree. We were surprised to run into someone that far in and we went over to talk to them. I couldn't help but think one of them looked familiar. Subject of the guy from last year came up, we told them the story and he said that was me, he had brought his dad with him this year. Funny bumping into him 2 years in a row, and the only person we have ever run into more than a half mile off the road.

2019 me and my hunting partner pulled up to the trail head, there was another guy there getting ready so we chatted with him for a bit. Turns out he had shot an elk the day before, it was a steep angle and he thought he only got one lung. Guy had punched his tag and was going to try to find and recover the elk. Whished him luck and we went our separate ways. 2020 we are back in several miles, and were near where the guy went looking for his bull and had been chatting about it. Turned around and started heading back to the truck and saw a couple guys sitting under a tree. We were surprised to run into someone that far in and we went over to talk to them. I couldn't help but think one of them looked familiar. Subject of the guy from last year came up, we told them the story and he said that was me, he had brought his dad with him this year. Funny bumping into him 2 years in a row, and the only person we have ever run into more than a half mile off the road.

Are you really gonna make us ask out loud???

Did he find his elk the previous year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mosby

WKR
I shot a bull first day of rifle and I was coming out of the woods late and ran into some local guys. Told them I got a bull and would get the rest of the meat out in the morning. I am pretty sure they called the game warden. Not sure what they told him but he drove up to my truck first thing in the morning to check my tags etc. I hadn't brought the head out yet and he insisted on seeing a picture of the bull. Never seen a warden or locals back on that trail before and I don't believe in coincidences. I didn't have a problem. I keep my stuff pretty organized fortunately but a dick move on their part.

CAB

FNG
I met zero people....but I also met zero animals(other then cows....lots of cows). Guessing that might have been why there was no hunters in the area. At least the cows where kind of friendly and would push their head into my 4runner while I was taking a nap in it.