Who did you meet hunting this year?

Not literally who, as in names anyone would know. Every year we usually run into hunters though. Last year I met a guy that I posted a story about that helped me out.

This year I was in the Gunnison area hunting deer. I met 9 hunters, all hunting elk. The interesting thing is all 9 were from WI. The first 4 were in the way into an area I was leaving. I told them where I saw elk sign and the told me where they saw some bucks. The next guy was hunting solo. Then there were the 4 guys camped at the trail head that have been in that unit every year for 25 years. They invited me for dinner and we shared stories and what we saw. They actually pointed me in the direction of some deer as well. Meeting good people on the mountain, or trail head, can be a cool bonus.

I met a guy in Wyoming and scared the crap out of him while he was glassing from his can am. He told me he hasn’t seen anything in there worth hunting. Not sure if he was bluffing but later that week I missed the biggest buck of my life in the same spot. I have his number....not sure if I want to tell him about it or not!

Meshnasty

Lil-Rokslider
First guy I ran into told me to get the F out as soon as I got out of my truck to start putting my bow together. It was his spot and he had been going there for four years now. Once I told him I wasn’t elk hunting, but had a moose tag he calmed down and apologized for being loud. He had spent the last thirty minutes blowing his elk calls, yelling, coughing, etc. He also said it’s public land and anyone can be there. I think he needs to heed his own advice.

Second guy we met helped us pack the moose quarters with his wheeler. I offered him cash for helping as it delayed his hunt and it was all I had on me at the time. He wouldn’t take it, but I have his number and we are in the area for while so I’ll be getting him something before we leave. He stopped back by the truck on his way back down to the mountain to see if we got everything else down. We wouldn’t have got it out in time to get it boned out the same day without him.

The other people I’ve met this year was through a forum. I came up to scout this summer and only found one small bull. I had talked with some people prior to coming out and I have found moose before so I thought I could find them here, but I struggled. These people had taken a bull in this unit before so I reached out after my scouting trip for general advice. They shared what they knew with me and I shot my bull on the second day based on what they had told me. I can’t thank them enough.

All the local non hunters I’ve ran into have been very nice as well.

Overall my interactions with hunters have been two good and one bad.

Finch

WKR
We'll, we drove 1200 miles, 24 into the backcountry of a LE zone in wy, and met a group from 30 miles from my hometown. Knocked on their camper, and the woman that opened the door did the paperwork on my truck I bought two years ago. 😳

That's pretty crazy. Not hunting related but my wife and I went on an Alaskan cruise several years back. Our dinner mates that were randomly seated with us were from the same town as us.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I met the same father/son from WI that I met two years ago. Kind of funny, I actually ran into them in July in there when I was scouting for moose too. They said they'd be back in September with cow elk tags, and they were.

After a hard day of carrying a 55 pound pack to a secluded sea island and spotting for whitetail, I had just finished super (after dark) and was looking forward to piling into the tent. Suddenly I heard two boats near shore, something that had never happened in many years coming to this location.

Walked down to the baach, invisible to these folks, to sea what was up. Turned out to be the first day of shrimping season. These guys came to put down poles and bait about 50 yards out from the beach.

I was a little pissed for a minute, but then gave a shout out to the boats to let them know I was camping on the island (just off the beach in the woods), and to not worry about my fire. Wished them luck and climbed in the rack.

One boat had a kid of about 8 on board. It was awesome hearing him cheer with each pull of the net. What I initially thought was an invasion of my calm turned out to be a really cool experience.

Last edited:
Last year in Colorado I got a tip from CPW about an old stock water hole that is now an “elk wallow”, basically just a seep in the middle of dry oak brush that is frequented by all wild life, that would be a good place to fill the freezer. After 10 days or so of hiking 3 different units and finding no bulls I decided to go sit the “elk wallow”. Following the X on the map that was given to me I went in at dark and got setup. A few hours after light I’m staring at this dry mud thinking I’m an idiot for wasting my time. Upon further map study I realized I was 1/2 mile off the mark. I hiked to the right spot to find a guy loading up a hind from the 5pt he shot a few hours earlier in the “elk wallow”. Turned out he’s a local that grew up hunting this chunk of NF, in fact his family has held the grazing lease for over 60 years. I couldn’t tell if he was more shocked that I found this secret spot or that I wanted to help him pack his bull out. Turns out his parents were waiting in atvs over the hill so it only took 2 hrs to break it down and load it on the wheels but it was a cool expensive for me and he was very grateful. He ended up picking me up that night to save me a 3 1/2 mile hike out. I had sat the spot until dark but only had a spike come in. I ended up having diner with his camp and learned a lot about the area.

This year I was I was able to take my first bull in a different unit. It happened to be over 5 miles from my truck. I moved all the meat 1 mile and staged it next to an atv trail and made camp for the night. In the morning I was taking my first trip to the truck and passed a camp about 1/2 mile into the trip. They had quads so I offered them $100 to rent one for 2 hours. They kindly turned me down, but after talking for a bit they offered to take me and my meat out to the road. Turned out they shot 2 bulls the day before, one they still hadn’t found, so while I hiked back to my truck to relocate it to the atv trailhead, they went to continue the search for the wounded bull. After hanging out with them a bit more that afternoon and explaining to them that I was ready and capable of packing such a load but was more than thrilled to take the easy way out, the one guy gave me a 6+ mile bumpy butts to nuts ride to my truck. He has been driving from Virginia and hunting that same area for over 40 years and dropped quite a bit of intel.

Being primarily a solo hunter, it’s super refreshing for me to run into other hunters periodically especially when I can either lend a helping hand or be the recipient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GotDraw?

WKR
Yup, literally the entire state of TX.

Plus a couple pickup trucks from OH and TN clad with semi-bald street tires, 15 miles down steep single track dirt roads that are known to turn into completely greasy gumbo when rain and snow hit. Bonus- one of them towing a large equipment trailer. Love to see how that one turned out.

JL

The entire state of Texas

Jauwater

WKR
Oddly, I barely remember anybody I ever run into in the woods while hunting. Mainly, I think because by the time I run into somebody I'm usually so lonely, I get all excited, and end up talking their ear off, and annoying them after five minutes to the point they are ready to get lost again. And after my adrenaline runs down my mind is blank. I'm sure there are plenty of stories told about me though

Sent from my SM-S506DL using Tapatalk

gelton

WKR
I've met several people that I have ended up hunting with either the same season or multiple seasons afterward. Several really good friendships made and we stay in touch every year. One from South Carolina who has tasked me with keeping their wall tent and cots because he usually flys out and I usually drive. He drew Montana this year so I will be taking the wall tent for a spin with my neighbor this year.

Lark Bunting

Lil-Rokslider
I ran into two different couples from Minnesota this year, One couple archery hunting and another rifle bear. Nice enough folks.

I have an acquaintance that was telling me he was up on an archery hunt years ago and while he was putting together a plan on how to go after a large bull he had glassed Chris Roe popped out of the woods and they partnered up on the stalk.

netman

WKR
I met Richard and Sheila from Montana. They helped me get to the hospital after my mule bucked me into the ground. Turns out Richard was retired LE as I am. Also met some really nice guys from Texas who were hunting with some folks from Montana.
I’m so unlucky with injuries but so lucky with the folks I meet every year while hunting.

CorbLand

WKR
I was sitting a water hole for elk the end of August. I could hear some sheep behind me that sounded like they were getting closer and closer. With about 20 minutes of light left, I peaked over the back down the canyon and sure enough there was a flock of sheep headed my way. Well, if you have ever dealt with sheep dogs, its better to not deal with them so I packed up and left a little early. As I get to my pickup, there is spot that you can see up the little rise but nobody on top can see down it. I see a guy sitting there on his ATV, about 10 yards behind my pickup. I thought that was weird and stood there for a second watching him. After about 5 minutes of him not moving, I walk out of the trees and ask him how he is doing. He looks at me funny and asks me what I am hunting. Story goes on and on but he told me he wanted to know who I was because he had people messing with his cameras in the area. I told him that I dont spend much time in that area because there is a local that is known to mess with everyone's camera on this mountain. He tells me he knows "who he is and where he is camped and shit is going to go down when he finds him." I was like, if you know where he is camped, then you know where to find him and why did you need to know who I was? First odd thing about the guy. He also told me he was going in to check one of his cameras and had to beat a sheep dog with his bolt cutters. I am not sure what you need bolt cutters to check cameras for...unless they arent yours. He did ask me if there were any cameras down the canyon I was in too.

The whole 20 minute conversation was weird and reminded me that there are weird people in the woods. If anyone lost cameras on the South Cache in Utah, shoot me a PM. If they were in that area, I have a good idea of what the guy looks like and drives.

hobbes

WKR
I've ran into three separate locals, same as myself, here in MT that I stood and chatted with for a few minutes. All seemed like pretty good guys, but this is the most folks that I've ran into while hunting this country. I exchanged cell numbers with one in case either of us needs help packing an elk out.

Most of ND must be hunting here as well. I've seen trucks from CO, ND, OR, WA, MI, and NY. It's starting to feel a little like CO otc minus the TX plates. :)

Last edited:

marktole

WKR
Met a group of guys, grandfather, father, and son, plus a family friend hunting this year. The grandfather had been hunting the area for 41 years, since he was a sophomore in high school. His son had been hunting there for 16 years. They were awesome to talk to in general, but they helped shorten the learning curve for the area quite a bit as well.

Met two other awesome dudes who were the saltiest elk hunters I have ever met. Saved me and a buddy about 6 hours of misery packing an elk, carried it out on their 2 ATVs in about 15 minutes. Sat around and drank a few beers at their camp with them before we headed home.

All in all, I could have not killed an elk this year and that would have been just fine because meeting those 6 people was worth all the time, money, and travel invested.

TheGDog

WKR
First Angeles experience since taking up hunting. While making my way in... below me some amount of distance on the trail in... I'd heard rifle shots. By the time I get down in there... come upon 4 latino dudes who'd apparently just finished splitting up a deer between all their regular style packs. Already they had the Blue BUD Light cans out. SMDH. We talk, I ask em where they took him at. I ask if there's water nearby. He explains where, and in the convo I ask if you can connect back up with the road from down in there. Apparently miscommunication happened. I go down to the water source for awhile. But realize that I'm not gonna be able to go thru and connect back up with the Hwy like I'm thinking. So I realized I gotta head back up! 'Bout the time I reached where we'd met and chatted, that's when I ran out of water. Still had 3.5 miles and 2300 ascent to go to get back up to my vehicle. That dehydration was serious and scary. Story for another day. Along the way back up? Sure enough... those f*ckin a$$holes were just chuckin' the damn BLUE Budlight cans off to the side of the trail. I cannot tell you how much I hate these people who litter in nature. It's bad enough we have to deal with that in cities, leave it in the cities!

Met a real nice young dude a got a positive vibe from. Was in Angeles, and on the way back out of a place I go to to look for bears, and also to do predator stands at. He was on the way in, in the afternoon, looking for Quail of all things. (There is not a good place for that) I wanna say he was from... El Salvador originally? So it surprised the him that I spoke Spanish and with correct pronunciation and in an accent that sounded familiar to him. I explained my first wife was from Gautemala, thus I was taught to speak it *properly*, not like so many from a certain other larger country closer to ours that shall remain nameless. He had a home-defense shotgun with him. So explained to him how he needs to get one made for hunting with screw-in chokes, etc. I chatted with him and he asked me about things I'd learned since taking up hunting, etc. It was really great to see a young one with such a positive attitude though!

Another time I was in Angeles... and I was quite a ways in along the Gabriellino trail. Because the freakin' LA DOT yet again, closed off Hwy 2 at Mt Wilson for just the slightest bit of rain the day before! (Grr). I'd decided to sit above a spot in this water line where it emerges again and widened-up a bit and provided a nice-looking drinking pool, and even had some shrubs around that drinking hole, so I figured there would be where skittish critters might like to come in to drink from. So I setup above it to do some calling, hoping something might come in. Some number of hours later... WTH?? This family comes along. Mom, Dad and a young Girl. I'd say 7yo tops. As they approached that spot... they hung out there a second, I think the Dad wetted up a bandana or something. I'm in the leafy gear posted up probably 20-25yds high up above it. At a certain point, the little girl stares right at me. Or at least... at something she thinks she sees. Strangely, she never spoke-up and said anything to her parents though. And then they made on along their way. Anyhoo, that was my queue that the morning had past, and it was time to bounce. I remember being really surprised a fam with a kid that little would go that far in.

Then there's the guy that's come up to me twice now in (Northern) D15. At two different areas. He tries to ask non-chalant questions to get you to divulge/reveal where you might have seen stuff. Where you might have setup at. And both times he ends it with something like, "I've been thinking of getting into hunting." OR perhaps it was "get back into hunting". The first time I just wrote it off as just him being genuinely curious. The 2nd time... I was certain... that the dudes an a$$hole that's just trying get free info. What he doesn't know... is that while I was on a sit for rabbits that 2nd time... I was hearing and seeing that a$$hole... driving up and down the access road... sorta slowish... and at various points... he'd slow down... and bip upon his Horn in sort of a Dash-dot-dot-dot pattern. Pause.. then proceed to drive along again. At first I remember thinking WTF!? Why are they doing that!? And then when later he saw me at the trailhead and did his schpeel... I realized it was his vehicle I'd caught a glimpse of! So in my head I'm like... WTF was the honking all about? My first initial gut-reaction when I'd heard it was that it was an anti-hunter trying to f*ck things up for anybody who might have happened to be out hunting that day. You know.. the honking perhaps intended to spook the game away? And so I wondered later if him trying to be slick and do his questions was perhaps so he could acquire intel for thwarting their actions!? Like maybe he was a greenie cook? The only other thought I could come up with, in terms of the weird honking thing... was like.. maybe he thought he'd lazily use that as a way to spot if Rabbits flushed from an area in order to determine it's an area he should stop and setup at maybe? Anyhoo...needless to say I'm very tight-lipped about hard-earned hunting info. So he didn't get spit from me. Tryna' be slick. Neyba Please! You know who you're talkin' to? Sheeeiit.

TheGDog

WKR
Met two other awesome dudes who were the saltiest elk hunters I have ever met.

Question RE "saltiest" : Just curious here. What does "salty" mean where you're from? I'm thinking it's different than what that term is used to mean around here.