Who did you meet hunting this year?

marktole

WKR
Question RE "saltiest" : Just curious here. What does "salty" mean where you're from? I'm thinking it's different than what that term is used to mean around here.

Like they had been there, done that kind of guys. Tough as nails, no quit, lot of grit, that's what salty means to me anyhow. They were probably in their late 40's, early 50's and were still out covering a bunch of miles and country to get into elk daily. We swapped some stories about elk hunting and one of them said he'd killed 27 elk with his bow...which I think is pretty impressive. The other had done a 5 day solo backpack hunt for mountain goats with a bow a few years earlier and shot a 9" billy. Also impressive.

TheGDog

WKR
Like they had been there, done that kind of guys. Tough as nails, no quit, lot of grit, that's what salty means to me anyhow. They were probably in their late 40's, early 50's and were still out covering a bunch of miles and country to get into elk daily. We swapped some stories about elk hunting and one of them said he'd killed 27 elk with his bow...which I think is pretty impressive. The other had done a 5 day solo backpack hunt for mountain goats with a bow a few years earlier and shot a 9" billy. Also impressive.
Right Ok, so you mean as in "Salt of the Earth" kinda thing. Gotcha. Nowadays the young ones use the term "salty" to refer to someone who is very disagreeable or bitter.

JMF

Lil-Rokslider
We met lots of good people this year. The typical chit chat back and forth and the if you get one we'll help pack it and so forth. Bumped into a rancher out on a motorcycle looking for a couple missing cows, talked to him for a good hour and a half and exchanged numbers in case either of us found anything.

Met a couple interesting ranchers, both very friendly. Met a nice guy from ND.

Not hunting, but earlier this summer I met one of the nicest guys on the planet while my son and I were on a trip. He hooked us up with fishing gear, bait, and a hot tip on where to use it, came and checked on us later in the day and brought more bait. Great guy.

Bigrog

FNG
I see 2 response here had to do with hunters from Texas. Do people from Texas have a bad rep when hunting out of state? Just curious because I am headed to Arizona in November and wondering do I need to cover up my license plate :)

Yes, worse than california and Utah combined.
I see 2 response here had to do with hunters from Texas. Do people from Texas have a bad rep when hunting out of state? Just curious because I am headed to Arizona in November and wondering do I need to cover up my license plate :)

Txraider

FNG
Went on my first OTC sheep hunt in New Mexico. After 4 unsuccessful days of hunting, not even seeing a thing. We ran into a group of 3 from Arizona, while we were getting ready to leave, that had decided randomly to come in the day before. After talking with them for a while they told us that they were going after some sheep and asked if we wanted to tag along. I was still unsuccessful, but the fact that they invited my friend and I along really stuck out to me, and made me appreciate the fact that they did something they didn’t have to. One of their guys downed a ram, and it was fun to be apart of that. The whole experience has fueled a drive to continue hunting.

coelk81

FNG
In my experience once a person gets over where the other is from, there are some pretty decent people out there. This year I ran into more Texans that were more friendly than the locals, or the guys from Louisiana, missouri, wisconsin and especially new mexico. So judging someone on what state they are from is croc of crap, and is used more as an excuse as to why they didn't kill an elk or deer.

LesPayne

FNG
I try to meet someone every year. I met some of my best friends on a mountain in Colorado 25 years ago. Still hunt with them to this day. I’m from Missouri and they are from Upper peninsula of Michigan. Some of the greatest guys I’ve ever met and the memories I’ve made with them are priceless! The common ground has always been our love of hunting. May you be blessed with relationships as I have been by fellow hunters.

KsRancher

WKR
Elk hunting Colorado. Met the game warden, great guy. He stopped by camp 3 times to check and see if I got anything. Gave me his card and told me text him a picture if I got one. Met a guy from Illinois that camped by me. He was a great guy. We would visit at the end of every day and discuss what and where we seen the elk at. And figure out where to hunt the next day so as not to mess up each other's hunt.

Matt mi

Lil-Rokslider
Went to idaho this year on elk hunt met a lot of guys driving in and few in back all the guys from idaho where very great people and generous. It was all the out of staters that looked down there nose at you. I was pretty shocked after reading some threads on here

Rangerpants

Lil-Rokslider
Met a great family Coues hunting in Arizona. We swapped stories, I gave them some ducks we shot, and they gave my brother and I some of the best tamales we've ever had. Great people, and super helpful.

Met another group that same trip that were super "salty" (I always understood salty as pretty close to grouchy or crabby) with one guy almost willing to fight because we came from another state to hunt. People run the gamut, but I've met more nice folks than grumpy ones out hunting.

CJohnson

WKR
I met a ton of of guys wearing matching camo and toting meat eater weatherbys “from Denver” walking trails. Also met some nice dudes from Wisconsin and Missouri.

OP
MuleyFever
I am glad to hear that most of us meet some great people while out doing what we love. Its also great to hear about how helpful hunters are willing to be to each other.

Traveler

WKR
Met a couple dudes from Texas, friendly, willing to talk about how hunt was going without giving up much info and not asking for any in return. Just decent “how’s things” convo. Met a local who was a history book on the place and interesting.

Hunt4lyf

Lil-Rokslider
Only people I met this year was when I pulled into their camp in a snow storm. I’d shot a buck right at dark and buried my knife in my wrist and was in pretty bad shape. The lady there was a cardiac nurse, she knew what to do, got the bleeding stopped and kept me from going to far into shock. After she got the bleeding mostly stopped I drove myself into town a couple hours away to the ER for stitches. I think I’d have made it out in my own but those people were an answer to a prayer when I needed help.